Are there any box bargains currently available?

Doing some searching, I found several threads on other boards that describe something similar happening with the Plugged Nickel box last summer. Amazon was ultimately unable to fill the orders...I wonder if some supplier is doing something shady that causes Amazon to list it as in stock, or if it's just an error of some kind. In any case I'm not holding my breath on this one.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's bizarre. "May require an extra 1 to 2 days to process"? I wonder where they are sourcing these from?

That remark is rather common on many amazon listings.

Really? I don't think I've ever seen it for music on Amazon US. But maybe I don't often search for stuff that's likely to be backordered.

I tend to think Stefan isn't far off the mark - could these be manufactured on demand?

That's bizarre. "May require an extra 1 to 2 days to process"? I wonder where they are sourcing these from?

Really? I don't think I've ever seen it for music on Amazon US. But maybe I don't often search for stuff that's likely to be backordered.

I tend to think Stefan isn't far off the mark - could these be manufactured on demand?

I've seen it. Last time was on a vocal CD by a singer named Lykke Li (great name BTW).

Amazon generally includes a statement that a product is a CD-R, if that's what it is. I've seen the extra-1-to-2-days statement on Amazon before, but more on Amazon.co.uk. My impression has always been that it's because the product is sourced from a supplier other than Amazon's own warehouses.

Sorry for the belated reply - on French and German Amazon, that "may need 1 or 2 days..." remark is very common and for regular CDs. So far I've only bought two CD-Rs on demand (both by mistake, but happily they start making it more visible when a product isn't a CD) and I must have bought two or three dozen regular CDs with that remark!

Doing some searching, I found several threads on other boards that describe something similar happening with the Plugged Nickel box last summer. Amazon was ultimately unable to fill the orders...I wonder if some supplier is doing something shady that causes Amazon to list it as in stock, or if it's just an error of some kind. In any case I'm not holding my breath on this one.

We'll certainly wait and see. I was one of those buyers last summer. I remember someone on eBay selling a mint copy for $130 around the same time and chuckling to myself, well I just scored a brand new one for less. Silly me.

This time Amazon claims "Only X left in stock--order soon (more on the way)". Really? How endless is this supply?

We'll certainly wait and see. I was one of those buyers last summer. I remember someone on eBay selling a mint copy for $130 around the same time and chuckling to myself, well I just scored a brand new one for less. Silly me.

This time Amazon claims "Only X left in stock--order soon (more on the way)". Really? How endless is this supply?

That usually does seem to be reliable, in my experience. Of course, all these descriptions are marketing language that likely not-so-perfectly maps to specific codes in their supply chain. For instance, the system might be set up to only show the "more on the way" message when a) the stock drops below a certain number of units AND b) their supplier has included that item in its next shipment, but if, say, it's set up to display that even if b) is not the case, then in a minority of cases you'll see "more on the way" even when the item is permanently gone.

"Available from these sellers" doesn't seem to mean "we're never getting this back" - I noticed the Lady Day box on Amazon.uk disappeared for about a week in February after about a day showing something like "Temporarily Out of Stock", but then they appear to have gotten more boxes in and one is now on its way to me.

Yep.. according to those same threads, however, people have been getting copies this time around. Apparently, it's the real Columbia/SME manufactured Plugged Nickel box, not CD-Rs. In the Miles "trumpet case" mega collection, there is a blank space left for one more set. Hmm. Could this be the first sign of SME reissuing the PN sessions one final time before the CD reissue boom era (already being administered last rites) becomes extinct?

Edited by trane_fanatic

The Italians are at it again - 15 disc box set of Bill Evans (Riverside and Milestone) for less than 40 Euros -

http://www.amazon.it/Riverside-Milestone-Albums-Evans-Bill/dp/B004I289FE/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1298146153&sr=1-1

Here are the details of this boxed set: link

It apparently contains these albums:

New Jazz Conceptions

Tenderly

Everybody Digs Bill Evans

On Green Dolphin Street

Portrait in Jazz

Explorations

Sunday at the Village Vanguard

Waltz For Debby

How My Heart Sings!

Moon Beams

Interplay

Loose Blues

The Solo Sessions Vol. 1

The Solo Sessions Vol. 2

At Shelly's Manne-Hole

Tempting. Anybody know whether this box uses the latest remasters?

John Surman - Glancing Backwards: The Dawn Anthology

Arrived today... apart from not having a personnel listing (relevant only for "Conflagration", actually - and some info mgith be in the liners), this looks like a nice package! Just got it in the mail, haven't listened to any of it yet.

Essential stuff !

Listen to the track 'Caractacus'. Perfectly conjours up images of renegade Celtic Brit bandits doing last ditch guerilla warfare with Roman invaders to me !

Yep.. according to those same threads, however, people have been getting copies this time around. Apparently, it's the real Columbia/SME manufactured Plugged Nickel box, not CD-Rs. In the Miles "trumpet case" mega collection, there is a blank space left for one more set. Hmm. Could this be the first sign of SME reissuing the PN sessions one final time before the CD reissue boom era (already being administered last rites) becomes extinct?

I've seen some discussion on this in the past that isn't consistent with my understanding.

I was in the Jazz Record Mart in Chicago last June and they had a new copy in stock that they were selling for list price. I asked them about it and they said they'd just gotten it in. They had been told that it had never actually gone out of print (as I think Sony were still accepting orders) just that it was backordered.

So last year there definitely were new copies of this around and stricly speaking it hadn't gone "out of print". It looks like the same thing has happened again.

And the "space" in the trumpet set was, I believe, for the t-shirt rather than any other box set.

Never heard of a set on backorder for 7 years and still coming through, though I must admit my 3-month True Blue order of Gigi Gryce - The Hap'nin's might turn out that way. True Blue claims the manufacturer hasn't officially told them it's out-of-print, so they're still expecting it to come in. My credit card will probably be expired by then.

Very strange. Hasn't it been at least 7 or 8 years since the set was widely available? If there's a similar case of something being backordered for almost a decade, I can't think of one.

I bought mine in 2002 but I seem to recall it being around for a good few years after that.

Very strange. Hasn't it been at least 7 or 8 years since the set was widely available? If there's a similar case of something being backordered for almost a decade, I can't think of one.

I don't know if backordered or reissued but... Plugged Nickel will be back very soon:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Live-Plugged-Nickel-1965/dp/B000002B01/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_4

... on 15th March according to amazon.com

I already have it but it is very, very nice to know that it will be available again. Go for it. It is a dream of concert!

• 3 weeks later...