Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fantastic Catch... Thank so MUCH!

Amazon is presently (April 5, 2011) offering the Nat Cole Hip-O Select 3-CD boxed set for $14.60.

Riffin': The Decca, JATP, Keynote, and Mercury Recordings

How complete are the sessions in that box? Are there tracks left out, or do you get everything that was recorded?

(And are there any good Cole discographies online that make it easier to piece together this info myself?)

Edited by Big Wheel

Fantastic Catch... Thank so MUCH!

Amazon is presently (April 5, 2011) offering the Nat Cole Hip-O Select 3-CD boxed set for $14.60.

How complete are the sessions in that box? Are there tracks left out, or do you get everything that was recorded?

(And are there any good Cole discographies online that make it easier to piece together this info myself?)

As far as I can check all Universal owned sessions are there: Decca, Keynote and Verve including alt takes. The Decca sessions include the Eddie Cole Solid Swingers session from 1936. It was Eddie's singing they were trying to promote back then...

There are several amazon marketplace sellers offering this 100 cd box set "Big Bands" for €39 or less:

http://www.amazon.de/100-Box-Set-Big-Band/dp/B001G8P3JS/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1302183124&sr=1-1

The set covers a great amount of recordings by the major swing big bands. The cd's come in cardboard sleeves and with a 200 pages booklet containing detailed discographical information. The sound quality is at least decent, in many cases very good. The following orchestras are covered:

Fletcher Henderson 1931-38 (5 cd)

Don Redman 1931-37 (3 cd)

Duke Ellington 1933-46 (10 cd)

Mill's Blue Rhythm Band 1931-36 (5 cd)

Jimmie Lunceford 1934-40 (6 cd)

Earl Hines 1932-42 (6 cd)

Chick Webb 1931-39 (4 cd)

Claude Hopkins 1932-35 (2 cd)

Count Basie 1937-49 (11 cd)

Louis Armstrong 1932-42 (6 cd)

Cab Calloway 1931-41 (1 cd)

Teddy Hill 1935-37 (1 cd)

Lionel Hampton 1951/54 (2 cd)

Casa Loma Orchestra 1931-37 (2 cd)

Benny Goodman 1935-46 (11 cd)

Charlie Barnet 1939-46 (2 cd)

Bob Crosby 1936-42 (1 cd)

Artie Shaw 1939-45 (4 cd)

Woody Herman 1937-54 (4 cd)

Tommy Dorsey 1935-50 (5 cd)

Jimmy Dorsey 1936-43 (1 cd)

Jack Teagarden 1939-40 (1 cd)

Gene Krupa 1938-45 (1 cd)

Harry James 1939-50 (1 cd)

Georgie Auld 1945-46 (1 cd)

Stan Kenton 1953-56 (1 cd)

Pete Rugolo 1954-56 (1 cd)

Shorty Rogers 1956-57 (1 cd)

Glenn Miller 1938-42 (1 cd)

There are four other sets in this series called "Classic Jazz", "Swing Time", "Bebop Story" and "Modern Jazz".

Quite a steal! Ordered the Cole for this price, although I'm sure I have most of the music in some form (not the Decca Cole singles, the first sessions, nor the Dexter, but the stuff with Pres and the JATP material, too).

I thought I had the JATP but there are 2 cuts not included in the cd I had of the First JATP concert plus 2 cuts from a second concert the same month.

Quite a steal! Ordered the Cole for this price, although I'm sure I have most of the music in some form (not the Decca Cole singles, the first sessions, nor the Dexter, but the stuff with Pres and the JATP material, too).

I thought I had the JATP but there are 2 cuts not included in the cd I had of the First JATP concert plus 2 cuts from a second concert the same month.

I was too lazy to compare - I like these Hip-O boxes and this was a steal... have the JATP 10CD set though, not the single disc of the first concert.

There are several amazon marketplace sellers offering this 100 cd box set "Big Bands" for €39 or less:

[...]

There are four other sets in this series called "Classic Jazz", "Swing Time", "Bebop Story" and "Modern Jazz".

There's a "Duke Ellington" one, too, a "Blues" one, and I believe a "Piano Jazz" one. These are made by Membran or whatever they call themselves these days. The sound quality isn't great--I almost always prefer other issues of the same material. Some of the discs in these sets seem to be straight rips of the OOP Chrono Classics: same track ordering, same track length, and suspiciously similar sounding. IIRC, one of the Tommy Dorsey discs in the Big Band box is a CC (or as near a CC as you can get).

I was pretty excited when I first discovered these a few years ago, but I regret buying them now, because of the poor sound and confused session notes.

Fantastic, thanks! The Lester Young / Dexter Gordon stuff from disc 3 of this set was on my shopping list anyway and at this price (about 15 Euro including shipping to Germany!) this set is quite a bargain! :)

Fantastic, thanks! The Lester Young / Dexter Gordon stuff from disc 3 of this set was on my shopping list anyway and at this price (about 15 Euro including shipping to Germany!) this set is quite a bargain! :)

Hope they offer the Stan Getz Quintet Hip-O set at that price :rolleyes:

Dave Brubeck - Eight Classic Albums (4 CDs) - $13.46

Eight albums on four CDs:

Jazz At Oberlin,

Brubeck Time,

Brubeck Plays Brubeck,

Jazz Impressions Of The USA,

Plays And Plays And Plays,

Dave Digs Disney,

Time Out and

Jazz Impressions Of Eurasia.

Good thing Dave doesn't make any money on this. Thanks.

Hans says that the Brubeck box is unauthorized. I just assumed that everything carried by Amazon is legit.

No, there are lots of unauthorized releases available on Amazon.

The Brubeck box has material from Fantasy (Concord) and Columbia. It was released by "Real Gone Jazz", another one of those grey European labels.

Discussing releases like this is fine, but no linking please. Thanks.

OK I need to ask this now - is anyone claiming this release is illegal? It isn't, so why shouldn't this be linked? Once the material is out of copyright Sony have no right to authorise it or otherwise, because it does not belong to them. At all. Why, even, would it be our job here to police things that even Sony cannot be bothered about?