Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not a specific bargain, but a do-it-yourself: 20% off any purchase over $10 at CD Universe. Coupon Code: EHOL20

Would you happen to know what date this is good until? Thank you.

Novmber 1st. Sorry I neglected to mention.

Where do you find CD Universe codes?

I got the code from the email they sent out advertising the sale. If you're on their mailing list you should get it.

A mistaken pricing, but maybe it will go through? The new Howlin' Wolf box set for 25.

http://www.ccmusic.com/item.cfm?itemid=HIPD762734

Haha, did anybody try ordering this? Looks like they may have fixed it before any shipments went out.

Very likely so.

Due to a pricing error on our website we have cancelled your order for

item HIPD762734 - HOWLIN' WOLF: SMOKESTACK LIGHT. We apologize for any

inconvenience this may have caused you and we hope that you will replace

your order now that the pricing has been corrected.

Thank you for your patience in this matter and we look forward to serving

you in the future.

Sincerely,

DeepDiscount.com

Cool, thanks!

A mistaken pricing, but maybe it will go through? The new Howlin' Wolf box set for 25.

http://www.ccmusic.com/item.cfm?itemid=HIPD762734

Haha, did anybody try ordering this? Looks like they may have fixed it before any shipments went out.

Very likely so.

Due to a pricing error on our website we have cancelled your order for

item HIPD762734 - HOWLIN' WOLF: SMOKESTACK LIGHT. We apologize for any

inconvenience this may have caused you and we hope that you will replace

your order now that the pricing has been corrected.

Thank you for your patience in this matter and we look forward to serving

you in the future.

Sincerely,

DeepDiscount.com

The RCA Albums Collection 8 CD version is now $37.26!

... which is one of the growing pile of stinkin' cheapo sets for the crapper ...

Frank Sinatra Concept Albums Capitol 14 CDs New

$29.99(was $59 and before that $24.99)

http://www.amazon.com/Capitol-Records-Concept-Albums-Sinatra/dp/B000BWI70W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1319761213&sr=8-1

Complete Felsted Mainstream Collection [box set, Import] 5CDs New

$28.70

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005DZMMDU/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Anyone know anything about this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005NNJKPA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p15_d0_g15_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0VMYY7T8KKT1V85YJKYT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

This is one in a series that includes Louis and Ella among others. Looks official and seems to be multi label. The pricing is attractive but there are no details on any of the amazon pages.

Anyone know anything about this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005NNJKPA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p15_d0_g15_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0VMYY7T8KKT1V85YJKYT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

This is one in a series that includes Louis and Ella among others. Looks official and seems to be multi label. The pricing is attractive but there are no details on any of the amazon pages.

I can't find any details either. Amazon.De says 13 discs, Emarcy Records(Universal)

Just out the 7CD box Dizzy Gillespie 'The Complete Big Band Studio Sessions 1946-1960' from United archives:

€20,93 from Amazon.fr!

Quite a good deal!

very interesting - don't know much about this label - how legit are they (anything like Membran?)

probably will have a lot of this material already. Can't seem to find track listings for the set.

Feed back on this label & its other releases would be greatly appreciated

Amazon UK have this for 21 pounds -> probably a better deal for me as shipping is free & VAT will also be removed

I've one of their Miles boxes. It's a collection of other bootleg recordings, seems they chose the best versions to copy. They're all within the copyright law in Europe, so "legit" to sell there.

The 13 CD Davis box looks very tempting - have found date/location details from pics on amazon but no track details

I'm trying to compare numbers of titles associated with each session & cross referencing it with the Miled Ahead discography site

Jazzbo,how comprehensive is this box? - does it exclude some titles from each session (where MD may not be present or not soloing)

any chance of a track listing or is that too mammoth a task to ask?

Just out the 7CD box Dizzy Gillespie 'The Complete Big Band Studio Sessions 1946-1960' from United archives:

€20,93 from Amazon.fr!

Quite a good deal!

very interesting - don't know much about this label - how legit are they (anything like Membran?)

probably will have a lot of this material already. Can't seem to find track listings for the set.

This was the most detailed I could find, but it still leaves much to be desired:

COMPLETE BIG BAND STUDIO SESSIONS 1946-1960

Dizzy Gillespie

CD1 Musicraft 1946 / Bluebird 1947 / Langworth 1945 / Bluebird 1945

CD2 Bluebird 1948 / Bluebird 1949 / Capitol 1949 / Capitol 1950

CD3 Verve 1954 / Verve 1955 / Discovery 1954

CD4 Verve 1955 / Verve 1956 / Discovery 1950

CD5 Verve 1956 / Verve 1957

CD6 Verve 1957 / Norgran 1954

CD7 Verve 1960

For the first time, this set gathers the complete Big Band studio sessions recorded by Dizzy Gillespie for seven different labels between 1946 and 1960.

I think between Odyssey (Savoy recordings), Birk's Works (Verve), Afro (Verve), Complete RCA Victor Recordings you would have all or virtually all of this except the Capitol recordings. Since I do have these, it isn't nearly as tempting.

Edited by ejp626

For the first time, this set gathers the complete Big Band studio sessions recorded by Dizzy Gillespie for seven different labels between 1946 and 1960.

I think between Odyssey (Savoy recordings), Birk's Works (Verve), Afro (Verve), Complete RCA Victor Recordings you would have all or virtually all of this except the Capitol recordings. Since I do have these, it isn't nearly as tempting

Yes, I think I already have a large chunk of this - have all of the above (including Capitol sessions) plus the Mosaic (contains "The Greatest Trumpet of Them All - DG Orch but technically an octet - this may be in the set)

Material missing

(1954) Norgran 1023/1090/Verve 8178 - Diz Big Band+ Johnny Richards Orch (part of this was to be released on the now cancelled Lucky Thompson Mosaic Select) no CD release (maybe Japan?)

(1955) Norgran 1083/Verve 8173/Verve 2317080 - Big Band Sound of DG -> partly released on CD

(1960) Verve 8386 - DG & His Orch - A Portrait Of Duke Ellington -> CD release

(1960) Verve 8394 - DG & His Orch - Gillespiana -> partly released on CD

epj - many thanks for the info - with my Lord Discography & your listing I could piece together this set

Edited by romualdo

Feed back on this label & its other releases would be greatly appreciated

their website www.united-archives.fr is not working now. It was a while ago.

Their jazz releases:

United-archives

They also have a pretty interesting classic catalogue.

I have only their Miles Davis Complete Live Recordings 1948-1955 10CD set and my ears are pretty satisfied with the remastering!

There are 2 Miles boxes on this label. One has 10 discs and the other has 4. They became pretty difficult to find once the ESTATE caught on.

The one I can see on Amazon has 13 discs

They combined the 2 previous boxes totalling 14 discs and somehow eliminated 1 disc in the process! See Brownie's United Archive link above.