Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No. It is the lamest, most pointless box set imaginable. Just Monks Dream, Monk Time, Monk, Straight No Chaser, Underground and Criss Cross.

Extremely lame, huh? There might be people who don't have these yet ... and I guess quite a few, as the Columbia albums' reputation ain't the finest.

What I would enjoy though would be a companion box containing the albums as originally released.

Count me as one of those people, thanks for standing up for us Ubu. This set might just be what makes me plug that particular gap

Not that's isn't a worthwhile set for people who don't have these records, which are wonderful, but it's so pointlessly limited. Why not just all of Columbia's Monk material? It would only run about 15 CDs, less than either of the Brubeck boxes. It's a needless limitation and an incomplete picture.

No. It is the lamest, most pointless box set imaginable. Just Monks Dream, Monk Time, Monk, Straight No Chaser, Underground and Criss Cross.

Extremely lame, huh? There might be people who don't have these yet ... and I guess quite a few, as the Columbia albums' reputation ain't the finest.

What I would enjoy though would be a companion box containing the albums as originally released.

Count me as one of those people, thanks for standing up for us Ubu. This set might just be what makes me plug that particular gap

I have a couple of the Legacy reissues but in my "no rebuying stuff I already have" plan, I still have the older Monk's Dream one of my faves. Still can't make my mind up if I want the box or not... Does it have the full notes from the legacy reissues? I know the Original Album Classics don't...

No, there is a booklet that just has general notes about all the releases, no individual notes that came with the previous reissues.

I can't seem to stop myself from buying things over again. The notes aren't such a big deal to me these days, and I like having the boxes with the recordings together rather than separate cds, so I've bought these (priced very nicely) and given away the other reissues to friends and relatives.

Don Byas Complete 1946-1954 Paris Recordings

Looks interesting. Wonder what the sound is like...

Probably about the same as the 3-CD set from Definitive that covers 1946-51 (master takes only).

Yes, and what was the sound like on that one?

I have this set and the sound is quite good considering it's age. Keep in mind tht I don't like bad recordings,especially heard through good stereo gear.This one is well worth the investment.

In case it helps...

COMPLETE QUARTET OAC I OAC II

* Straight No Chaser X X

* Underground X X

* Criss-Cross X X

* Monk's Dream X X

* Monk X X

* It's Monk's Time X

* Solo Monk X

* Misterioso X

* Monk in Tokyo 1 X

* Monk in Tokyo 2 X

* Monk's Blues X

How many Monk Columbias are there that aren't on any of the boxes? Off the top of my head, there's Big Band in Concert, Miles and Monk at Newport, and the soundtrack to Straight No Chaser. Are there any others?

Sun Records: The Ultimate Blues Collection (3 CDs) - $16.95

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AVHD8/ref=pe_184680_27106670_pe_epc_dt8

(the Miles stuff is missing - I think it was part of the 16 disc box, too?)

Was not part of the 16 disc box. There's a great separate 4CD set of the Miles stuff available.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the US "Prestige Recordings" box had 13 CDs, with none of the Miles Quintet sides. I think there was a European 16-CD box that included the Miles Quintet tracks.

Thus, the entire 16-CD box is currently available as four boxes - Fearless Leader, Interplay, Side Steps, and Miles Davis - The Great Prestige Quintet.

The US box WAS 16 cd's, with none of the Miles sides. The Japanese version did have 18 discs because it included the Miles sides. This version, btw, was mastered in 20 bit, K2 and goes for almost $800 on the Amazon Marketplace these days.

A total of 20 cd's are available now as follows:

Fearless Leader - leader dates on 6 cd's

Side Steps - sideman dates on 5 cd's

Interplay - co-leader and jam session dates on 5 cd's

Miles' 1st Great Quintet - 4 cd's

Edited by JETman

Thanks for the clarification, guys!

The Miles 4CD set is indeed a great one, and I'm very fond of the three Coltrane sets, too! So fond that I gave away all the single discs, except for those with additional tracks (no Coltrane on those tracks, "The Cats" has one, "Cattin' with Coltrane and Quinichette" has two ... don't have the Ray Draper but is has one, also, and the Ammons discs of course have plenty more).