Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any thoughts on this Bill Withers box? Not jazz, exactly, but his hits have a nice feel to them. 9 discs, $23.30 from an Amazon reseller:

510ZglwpKmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I did't see this until today, but by all means, get this box set if you haven't yet, I have enjoyed it immensely since I purchased it, great music runs through every album.

Apparently, I'm very late to the party on this (I discovered several threads on this subject from around 2010-2011 after the fact), but there are a few Mosaic sets available on iTunes at a steep discount. In particular, Stanley Turrentine is $19! That is impulse-buy territory. Should I be boycotting this, however, in solidarity with Mosaic?

My guess is that this is EMI just finding another outlet for the product so I'm not sure anyone is "betraying Mosaic" by buying some of these files. I wouldn't do it, but that's because I don't like digital files more than anything else.

I can live with the digital files, as long as they are stored on a compact disc and placed in a numbered black box with a big picture book. ;-)

My guess is that this is EMI just finding another outlet for the product so I'm not sure anyone is "betraying Mosaic" by buying some of these files. I wouldn't do it, but that's because I don't like digital files more than anything else.

I can live with the digital files, as long as they are stored on a compact disc and placed in a numbered black box with a big picture book. ;-)

:Nod:

Completely off topic but I've never understood why the iTunes store has never allowed searching by record label.

On Amazon UK search on mp3 music/'blue note'/mp3 albums/price 'high to low' to find a few box set equivalents.

Edited by ornette

Ok, a real bargain for once but don't expect it to last. The 20 CD 'Perfect Miles Davis Collection' for just over 5 pounds on Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Perfect-Miles-Davis-Collection/dp/B005ELZNH0/ref=pd_sim_m_h__3

Wow! As someone who resold a bunch of discs like Milestones, Someday My Prince Will Come for the remasters some 12 years ago or whenever it was, that just blows my mind? :blink::lol: I hope there are a few lurking with 5 quid in pocket who decide maybe just maybe I should check this Miles guy out more in depth.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, I'm very late to the party on this (I discovered several threads on this subject from around 2010-2011 after the fact), but there are a few Mosaic sets available on iTunes at a steep discount. In particular, Stanley Turrentine is $19! That is impulse-buy territory. Should I be boycotting this, however, in solidarity with Mosaic?

I just missed the Pendulum select as it went out of print, but then discovered emusic has the set; mp3, true, but at about $4 I'm not complaining.

The Complete Original Mahavishnu Orchestra Columbia Albums Collection

£14.78 from Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Original-Mahavishnu-Orchestra-Collection/dp/B0080R7Q4S/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1366348636&sr=1-3&keywords=mahavishnu+orchestra

The pricing for these box sets is all over the place. The Brubeck set (currently £155) was advertised and reviewed in Jazzwise this month which suggests it might come down in price.

The Complete Original Mahavishnu Orchestra Columbia Albums Collection

£14.78 from Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Original-Mahavishnu-Orchestra-Collection/dp/B0080R7Q4S/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1366348636&sr=1-3&keywords=mahavishnu+orchestra

The pricing for these box sets is all over the place. The Brubeck set (currently £155) was advertised and reviewed in Jazzwise this month which suggests it might come down in price.

The Brubeck is much cheaper on amazon.it (81€ at this time):

http://www.amazon.it/Complete-Columbia-Studio-Albums-Collection/dp/B0077PPQGO/

But these boxes aren't even listed on all amazon sites yet ...

@crisp: Do you think these are indeed reissues? I'd rather assume that after selling them exclusively via popmarket, they're now being sold with wider distribution ...