Are there any box bargains currently available?

Well, we don't even know of a release date yet ... but I guess amazon.fr might have the best prices again, as they usually do on these. The first ones start showing up, with cover pics too, but no dates or prices yet:

http://www.amazon.fr/Cpte-Black-Saint-Soul-Records/dp/B011MICIHG/

http://www.amazon.fr/Black-Saint-Soul-Note-Records/dp/B011MICBTQ/

Thought last time I looked some had prices allotted, but not now.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Heard good things about this one, and it is pretty cheap on Amazon.

Sonny

http://amzn.com/B00W4L0MWO

I ordered this yesterday before seeing this post. Will be here tomorrow and can't wait. Purchased because I got a new job with a heavy commute

There are ups and downs, but it is a very interesting listen.  One of my favorites so far this year.

Amazon UK has the second "Complete Columbia Albums" set of Duke Ellington releases '59 to '61 for about 52 bucks shipped, ten discs. No other information on this other than it is released in six days.

The Ellington albums from that period that I'm aware of are:

Jazz Party (Columbia)
Anatomy of a Murder (Columbia – soundtrack album)
Festival Session (Columbia)
Blues in Orbit (Columbia)

Three Suites
    The Nutcracker Suite (Columbia) 
    Swinging Suites by Edward E. and Edward G. (aka Peer Gynt Suite/Suite Thursday) 
Piano in the Background (Columbia)
Unknown Session (Columbia, released 1979)

Piano in the Foreground (Columbia)
First Time! The Count Meets the Duke - with Count Basie (Columbia)
The Girl's Suite & The Perfume Suite (Columbia)

I have all except for Jazz Party (have a digital version) and The Girl's Suite & The Perfume Suite.  Has the latter title ever been released on CD?  All the other titles have been.

I have all except for Jazz Party (have a digital version) and The Girl's Suite & The Perfume Suite.  Has the latter title ever been released on CD?  All the other titles have been.

I just got a cd of it in Canada. It was one of those "'Jazz Originals' : Henri Renaud" releases. 

Generally, the prices come down quite a bit on those Columbia sets a few months after they are released, so patience pays on them.

It probably will be cheaper, but 52 bucks is a good price. I went for it. . . some of these could stand to be remastered and probably will be in this box.

two more coming up there:

Art Blakey - Complete Columbia/RCA Albums:

http://www.amazon.de/Art-Blakey-Complete-Columbia-Victor/dp/B00YY03SJ2/

Thelonious Monk - Complete Columbia Live Albums:

http://www.amazon.de/Complete-Columbia-Live-Albums-Collection/dp/B00YY03S10/

The Ellington goes for the same price there as the Monk (all three are interlinked/auto-recommended), that's how I found them, no idea if there will be more ...

two more coming up there:

Art Blakey - Complete Columbia/RCA Albums:

http://www.amazon.de/Art-Blakey-Complete-Columbia-Victor/dp/B00YY03SJ2/

Thelonious Monk - Complete Columbia Live Albums:

http://www.amazon.de/Complete-Columbia-Live-Albums-Collection/dp/B00YY03S10/

The Ellington goes for the same price there as the Monk (all three are interlinked/auto-recommended), that's how I found them, no idea if there will be more ...

Does anyone have more information on the Monk Columbia Live? Which albums? Sound?

All of them (Tokyo, Big Band and Quartet, Newport, It Club, Jazz Workshop - each two discs - the three disc set contained some more stray cuts, so did the "Monk Alone" two disc set) ... and sound probably like in their respective latest editions.

Is there a source for your info?  I cannot find any listing of the contents of this box?

All of them (Tokyo, Big Band and Quartet, Newport, It Club, Jazz Workshop - each two discs - the three disc set contained some more stray cuts, so did the "Monk Alone" two disc set) ... and sound probably like in their respective latest editions.

Is there a source for your info?  I cannot find any listing of the contents of this box?

No. But partly yes: the box's title ... content should thus be pretty clear. With the only question being if those stray cuts released on other albums/compilations ("Misterioso" was yet another, and that two LP set from the seventies, "Always Know") will be added or not.

Regarding remasterings I don't know, but with such cheap-ish reissues I'd not expect them to remaster anything they previously reissued. I would like to know specifics about that, too (Lon, if you have some to offer, please step up! I'm not doubting your insight at all, I just wonder if for instance "Let My Children Hear Music" was remastered; to my best knowledge, the Bessie Smith box was not when it should have; and I wonder if "Big Band and Quartet in Concert" might be ...)

No, "Let my Children," was not (but imo it sounds better in the box set for whatever reason), though IIRC the "With Friends" was.  In the case of the first Ellington earlier masterings were updated, and I would expect the same (especially the Schapp) to be the case in this one. In the case of the Shaw, Gordon, WR, Brubeck, Mahavishnu, etc. there have been new masterings, and in some cases additional material. A great series. I would think at the least this Monk box will bring together the bonus material from newer reissues, and perhaps additional material that"Mysterioso" was assembled from. I think there will be room, and it would be nice if there were bonus material here added. Hopefully the little snippets Mosaic released on vinyl will be added too.

Edited by jazzbo

No, "Let my Children," was not (but imo it sounds better in the box set for whatever reason), though IIRC the "With Friends" was.  In the case of the first Ellington earlier masterings were updated, and I would expect the same (especially the Schapp) to be the case in this one. In the case of the Shaw, Gordon, WR, Brubeck, Mahavishnu, etc. there have been new masterings, and in some cases additional material. A great series. I would think at the least this Monk box will bring together the bonus material from newer reissues, and perhaps additional material that"Mysterioso" was assembled from. I think there will be room, and it would be nice if there were bonus material here added. Hopefully the little snippets Mosaic released on vinyl will be added too.

I agree that "Let My Children Hear Music" sounds better in the box set than in the original CD.