Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mandrill said:

So, how many volumes of "Creed Taylor Collection" will there be? And after it's all done, are you sure they won't be issued again combined in one 150 or some CDs box, like they do with classical boxes nowadays.

"Orrin Keepnews Collection", "RVG collection", "Creed Taylor Collection", "Monk Collection", "Ellington Collection"- over and over and over again. I only wish someone would lavish such attention on the fact that Plugged Nickel is still out of print. Or Braxton's Willisau set. Or LaMonte Young's Well Tuned Piano. Or John Carter's Roots & Folklore series, etc, etc.

cusid ew od yhw neht ?niaga revo dna revo noitcelloc notgnille

... uhm, what's going on here? had this happen several times today ... anyway, tend to agree in some respects but no in others - i.e. Monk and Ellington deserve all attention they get, and Ellington is NOT being reissued over and over again at all ... Sony stopped their programme, lots of stuff needs to be sought on vinyl or on old used discs, some only released in France ... and we're not speaking obscure avantgarde music of the seventies but some of the greatest music ever made ...

but yeah, I'd love to see those John Carter albums around again, and I'll be buying the Braxton reissues as soon as they appear for sure!

on the other hand, the Plugged Nickel set was around for a few years, it cost an arm and a leg (around 200$ in shops over here, and I bought it while still in school ... took me a while to save that money!) ... nowadays of course it would be a small "book"-like set, 20€ or people will scream "much too expensive" ... but I guess that's the only "market" that's left for physical product, sometimes I really think it's a disgrace ... point being: the 10'000 folks who bought that box when it was around are probably about the number of people that were ever going to buy this, a few missed out/are too young/found out too late, as always (and of course I'm in that camp about other stuff, and I've often delved into my pocked deeply to make up for it, too, a day after buying twice the amount of music for a third or a flatted fifth of the same price) ...

23 minutes ago, felser said:

There was supposed to be a 50 CD box of Impulse stuff come out for the 50th anniversary, but apparently that idea got scrapped.  I even remember seeing a listing of the 50 albums that were going to be on it.

there was even a picture at one time:

Impulse_at_50_zpsa67e62a4.jpg

the contents weren't that exciting ('xept for Rivers' "Streams" that was to be included) ... seemed like a rather odd hodge-podge

1 hour ago, felser said:

There was supposed to be a 50 CD box of Impulse stuff come out for the 50th anniversary, but apparently that idea got scrapped.  I even remember seeing a listing of the 50 albums that were going to be on it.

That would have been a good one, with some stuff never before issued on CD.

It's only four years to the 60th anniversary anyway.

F

• 2 weeks later...

An Amazon Marketplace seller currently has discs 1 - 4 of Mosaic's The Columbia Jazz Piano Moods Sessions in Like New condition for only $26.99.  Not a bad price if you're interested in a partial set.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0013VBNTW/ref=wl_it_of_o_pC_nS_lnk?ie=UTF8&colid=21MLL4Z1HVFCD&coliid=I21220KURF7XK5

An Amazon Marketplace seller currently has discs 1 - 4 of Mosaic's The Columbia Jazz Piano Moods Sessions in Like New condition for only $26.99.  Not a bad price if you're interested in a partial set.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0013VBNTW/ref=wl_it_of_o_pC_nS_lnk?ie=UTF8&colid=21MLL4Z1HVFCD&coliid=I21220KURF7XK5

2 hours ago, GA Russell said:

2 hours ago, GA Russell said:

:Low-priced remastered WEA box of their albums coming in early 2016

17 minutes ago, mgraham333 said:

Herbie Hancock - Complete Columbia on Amazon for $87.49  3 left!

Herbie - Complete Columbia

I bought this 3 days ago for $117 and thought I was getting a great deal.  Both my purchase and this offering are through a 3rd party but they are fulfilled by Amazon.

Ok, that's a price at which I will bite. Enough on here that I only have as copies to make it a worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks for the heads up!

7 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I think they've caught it. It's back to $43. 

Joe, under the $43 price, you will see "28 New from $5.64."

Click on "28 New," and you will go to the page that offers the box for $5.64, noting that the seller is Amazon.

It says, "Temporarily Out of Stock," but when I placed my order, I was surprised to find that they offered the AutoRip download immediately.

3 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Joe, under the $43 price, you will see "28 New from $5.64."

Click on "28 New," and you will go to the page that offers the box for $5.64, noting that the seller is Amazon.

It says, "Temporarily Out of Stock," but when I placed my order, I was surprised to find that they offered the AutoRip download immediately.

Right you are.   How weird that the seller is Amazon.