Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8.11.2016 at 2:44 AM, jazzbo said:

I have the Burrell set. No alternates, no outtakes, just original album reproduced. Not sure on the masterings. Perhaps Japanese 24 bit from early in the century? Have only listened to one disc so far, haven't done any comparisons, that disc sounded like a 24 bit Toshiba might.

The listing on amazon.de has backets for the first two discs (Remaster 2000 and RVG mentioned):

https://www.amazon.de/5-Original-Albums-BURRELL-KENNY/dp/B01KL0L9GC/

Not sure I'd trust this ... either way, bad thing that "On View at the Five Spot Cafe" isn't including all the additional material the old CD did!

Charles Mingus - Passions Of A Man: The Complete Atlantic Recording  

ImportCDs is selling this on eBay for $22.33 with free shipping, lists 5 available copies.   Used copies occasionally pop up for a lower price, but this seems like a pretty good deal for a new set.   They have it listed on their website for $23.99 plus $2.99 shipping. 

Edit: I guess a few Amazon sellers have it for a similar price, too.

Edited by bluesoul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2016 at 5:02 AM, bluesoul said:

Charles Mingus - Passions Of A Man: The Complete Atlantic Recording  

ImportCDs is selling this on eBay for $22.33 with free shipping, lists 5 available copies.   Used copies occasionally pop up for a lower price, but this seems like a pretty good deal for a new set.   They have it listed on their website for $23.99 plus $2.99 shipping. 

Edit: I guess a few Amazon sellers have it for a similar price, too.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 2:15 PM, GA Russell said:

Damn!  Includes *alternate takes* from all the expanded single-disc editions.  I may have to jump on this one -- Fifth Dimension is the only one I have currently (and I've always meant to get others, and always the expanded editions).

Hot damn!!

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Damn!  Includes *alternate takes* from all the expanded single-disc editions.  I may have to jump on this one -- Fifth Dimension is the only one I have currently (and I've always meant to get others, and always the expanded editions).

Hot damn!!

Yep, that's the mother lode there, the classic first five albums.  "Complete Columbia Recordings" is great, but has gotten pricey.  And anything after the original five albums on the PAC set are an acquired taste (actually a few different acquired tastes, some which work for me, some which don't).