Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/3/2017 at 0:19 AM, GA Russell said:

Martha Argerich - Complete Recordings on Deutsch Gramophone (48 CDs) - $21.63 prime

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B011WEVWYA/

This must have been a mistake...I checked just a few hours after your post and it was $117 and it has been around that for the last few days. I would have like to have caught one a that price...

2 hours ago, alankin said:

Via Google Translate:

Classical Music Promotion
Hundreds of Securities Offer: 3x2
Buy three CDs or vinyls among those available in this selection of hundreds of titles: the cheapest do not pay!
To enter this promotion you will need to add three CDs or vinyls to cart and the price of the cheaper will be deducted automatically. The promotion is valid from 15 February to 30 April 2017.

For full details please refer to the terms and conditions of the promotion at the bottom.

To discover all the titles that are part of the promotion, turns the pages filtering the results, look at our suggestions for you or search by title or artist in the search bar at the top.

They are right: the cheapest do not pay!

21 hours ago, B. Goren. said:

A mixed bag pulled from various corners of the SONY/BMG catalogue, 1960's recordings produced by Wolf Erichson, rather recent ones from Vivarte and Deutsche harmonia mundi, but also some odd older stuff not on period instruments from the ancient RCA catalogue. It all depends on what you want - there are better recordings of most works included.

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 0:21 PM, mikeweil said:

A mixed bag pulled from various corners of the SONY/BMG catalogue, 1960's recordings produced by Wolf Erichson, rather recent ones from Vivarte and Deutsche harmonia mundi, but also some odd older stuff not on period instruments from the ancient RCA catalogue. It all depends on what you want - there are better recordings of most works included.

Mike, danke !

Edited by B. Goren.

Just noticed this box set, and was curious if anyone has an opinion, not just about the particular selections in this set but about the genre itself.  I suppose it could veer into corn, but perhaps a lot of it is good, vibrant stuff?  And, of course, at a great price.  Thoughts?  See: https://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Dixieland-Golden-European-Traditional/dp/B004VRO7DY/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1492558912&sr=1-1&keywords=welcome+to+dixieland

71FBh9wBbVL._SX425_.jpg

Just coincidentally, I recently relistened to a CD that a board friend (anyone remember PD?) made for me many years ago, of Roy Williams and Five A Slide.  Nothing earth-shattering, but very well played and enjoyable - also interesting to hear a band with 5 trombones!  I think the music was in this style, which makes me want to hear more.  Of course, I remember seeing those Acker Bilk albums on the inner sleeves of Atlantic albums.  They all looked kind of corny, and I never knew anyone who played them, but I was much younger then.

With Django there are so many different issues and this has all been out elsewhere.

But it works well together like this and the sound is excellent indeed. I paid more for my set and I was very happy to get it. Gave a copy to a friend as a gift too and he loves it.