Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Greggery, how is the sound on that?  I thought that that particular label is known for poor sound.

I think that the sound is very good. Very present, and clear. I can't speak to the source, I know that Real Gone is one of the EU "knock-off" labels but I give this set very high marks for audio. The John Kirby album (the one I was most interested in) sounds great but overall there is a great deal here to enjoy. $8.19 very well spent. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I haven't heard these, but the reviews are good so I just ordered them... Appears to be TV and radio broadcasts of varying quality, but the price is good for a pig in a poke- £12.99

Abbey Road and Beyond: Greatest Hits and Lost Sessions 1962 - 1966 (6 CD Box Set)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MG5AHLP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=AUFV5K23G1D09&psc=1

The Rolling Stones - Satisfaction In Concert: The Classic Broadcasts 1964-1966 [4 CD Set]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N5SBBBB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=AUFV5K23G1D09&psc=1

Life From Mars: The Legendary Broadcast Collaboration 4 CD Box Set

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XSGX1Q6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AUFV5K23G1D09&psc=1

Edited by Bigshot

Mike Oldfield OAS - $14.99 prime
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0K3WZ8/

Unlike the OASs and OACs of the other artists I'm familiar with, this set does not include any of what I believe were Oldfield's three most popular albums:  Tubular Bells, Ommadawn or Hergest Ridge.

Edited by GA Russell

About the quality of BST3 and BST4 if you remember those.  I own them all, but only ever listen to the first two, the one with Al Kooper and the one with all the megahits.  Everything else was really just weaker retreads, though not without merit.  Note that two of the three have Jerry Fisher rather than David Clayton-Thomas as lead singer.  Fisher has his own affectations, but they are very different than DCT's affectations.

Edited by felser

13 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Thanks!  Felser, I thought you would jump in soon!

By the way, I have two the group made on MCA, and like them both quite a bit.  Do you have those as well?

I do.  They're fine, but the magic was only in the first two albums.

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:05 AM, crisp said:

And incomplete, to boot. This is the one to get.

The liner notes for that project were done by a friend from here in Toronto, Ron Gaskin.  In addition to writing poetry, he used to be a manager at the main store of the Canada-wide record store chain, Sam The Record Man.  He knows his music!

This collection was instigated by the Canadian branch of Verve/Universal...an affordable, yet thorough release. 

3 hours ago, crisp said:

It's a useful set covering a lot of material inexplicably not released to CD by Verve's American wing. The sound quality is variable, however. 

I find the sound is acceptable, if not exciting.  It's noted it was done from the original tapes by "Verve New York" though there are no specific engineers credited.