Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

The New Seekers - The Albums 1970-73 (9 albums) - 21.49 GBP
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JNPVQR3/

They'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony...  "There Will Never Be Another You" by the OLD Seekers is one of my favorite songs.  This group, not so much.  But great price.

41 minutes ago, felser said:

They'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony...  "There Will Never Be Another You" by the OLD Seekers is one of my favorite songs.  This group, not so much.  But great price.

I just ordered a used copy of All Bound For Morningtown about a week ago. It’s supposed to be a good anthology of their 1960s recordings.

Edited by ghost of miles

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the Brubeck for a teence more than that a few years ago, when I was re-upping with Paul Desmond. Two things - it takes a lot longer to get to the, uh..."less-inspiring" albums than you might thing; There is no cutoff point for when things go stale, it's back and forth up to the end.

My Columbia Brubeck CD Collection (aka CBCC) was minimal anyway, so this was a good buy for me. But there's still a buttload of live stuff not included, and maybe a one-off or two like the album with Bill Smith. But the set as is was a good buy for me, because if nothing else, Paul Desmond all up in there.

Just now, JSngry said:

I bought the Brubeck for a teence more than that a few years ago, when I was re-upping with Paul Desmond. Two things - it takes a lot longer to get to the, uh..."less-inspiring" albums than you might thing; There is no cutoff point for when things go stale, it's back and forth up to the end.

My Columbia Brubeck CD Collection (aka CBCC) was minimal anyway, so this was a good buy for me. But there's still a buttload of live stuff not included, and maybe a one-off or two like the album with Bill Smith. But the set as is was a good buy for me, because if nothing else, Paul Desmond all up in there.

Agreed, it's a surprisingly good set.  And a corresponding live set would be nice.  Also, don't sleep on the stuff he did after this period, featuring Gerry Mulligan.  Much of that is stunningly good.

I had no choice, they were playing it on the radio when I was, like, 17!

Still gonna need somebody to explain Jack Six to me, though.

But this, jeez, this one was played at least 3X a week, probably more, I was pulling in the signal from Fort Worth on FM after midnight, > 1250 miles away, can't say that they didn't play it every damn night, I knew it before I did the original.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

check out the sellers. Still cheap.

Yes, I've ordered plenty from Oxfordshire, and they're good.  It will take a little while to get to you, as they are shipping from the UK, but well worth the wait.  I don't really have a track record with Rarewaves.   If you're in a hurry, good old Moviemars has it for about $5 more ($53.47), and they are US-based. 

I'm not a big fan of some of these sellers like Moviemars; they stiffed me on something I purchased on eBay so they're off my list. Rarewaves' ebay feedback was less than stirling so no on them too. I certainly won't die if I don't get this set. 

13 hours ago, felser said:

Yes, I've ordered plenty from Oxfordshire, and they're good.  It will take a little while to get to you, as they are shipping from the UK, but well worth the wait.  I don't really have a track record with Rarewaves.   If you're in a hurry, good old Moviemars has it for about $5 more ($53.47), and they are US-based. 

Oxfordshire is fine and shipping doesn't take overly long. No experience with Rarewaves and I haven't ordered from Moviemars in recent memory.

In my experience, postage from Europe does get knocked around a bit. The Black Saint boxes I've bought all sustained heavy nicks to the box (discs were unaffected); just bought a 2-CD set from NoBusiness (Latvia) and the jewel box was trashed but discs OK.

14 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Oxfordshire is fine and shipping doesn't take overly long. No experience with Rarewaves and I haven't ordered from Moviemars in recent memory.

In my experience, postage from Europe does get knocked around a bit. The Black Saint boxes I've bought all sustained heavy nicks to the box (discs were unaffected); just bought a 2-CD set from NoBusiness (Latvia) and the jewel box was trashed but discs OK.

I have also experienced that some, and it's understandable.  BTW, for this box, if you order from Rarewaves, it is several dollars cheaper to do so via ebay rather than Amazon.  I always shop ebay/amazon/discogs/importcds for anything I am buying,.  Don't think I am missing any others that are consistently enough low-priced to justify the time, but please let me know if I am.