Are there any box bargains currently available?

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Evidently Universal won't be distributing this in the US and I was happy to find it for under $20 from Amazon sellers. I have the Webern disc and the Gurrelieder but the other 5 discs will be new to me. I love the sound of the Staatskapelle Dresden from this period. https://amazon.com/Schoenberg-Berg-Webern-Giuseppe-Sinopoli/dp/B07T2GN9H7/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

71dRlOE1hFL._SX522_.jpg

Yes, Sinopoli's Gurrelieder is superb. 

I wasn't aware of this set. Thanks for the heads-up. :tup 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, felser said:

Yes, low end European PD label.

Generally, not a big fan of those. Moreover, if we’re talking BN I want it from BN not a knock off.

The knockoff may be cheap but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. 

Edited by Brad

12 hours ago, Brad said:

Generally, not a big fan of those. Moreover, if we’re talking BN I want it from BN not a knock off.

The knockoff may be cheap but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. 

I'm the same way.  I have a couple of these to fill gaps (Zoot Sims, pre-Impulse Archie Shepp, early Verve Jimmy Smith, pre-Contemporary Phineas Newborn), but generally avoid them.  Even Real Gone are better than these (those at least list recording year and personnel), and Avid are much much better.   As for Blue Note, like you, I buy the BN issues whenever I can (few exceptions are a couple stray Jimmy Smith titles and some Three Sounds).   Even Blue Note on Mosaic doesn't feel "right" to me, I like having the original artwork and liner notes, etc.

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

Are there other labels whose sound is as bad or worse than Real Gone and Not Now?

Some of the Real Gone stuff sounds fine, they got better at it as the years went on (and they had better sources to pirate).  Not Now is the worst of the worst in every regard.   But yeah, there are plenty of cruddy sounding Euro PD labels, such as "Prestige Elite: and even some cruddy sounding Euro "legit" labels (looking at you, Hallmark)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 6:01 PM, GA Russell said:

Are there other labels whose sound is as bad or worse than Real Gone and Not Now?

I have the Jefferson Airplane Woodstock vinyl set from Real Gone and I think it sounds great. 

Edited by Brad

That's likely not the Real Gone that GA is referring to. The Real Gone Music that issued the Woodstock JA is a bona fide reissue label, legit. https://shop.realgonemusic.com/collections/all  

The other Real Gone GA mentions is a grey market budget label. We've been through this before on the forum, it's confusing as they both use the same label name.

40 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

That's likely not the Real Gone that GA is referring to. The Real Gone Music that issued the Woodstock JA is a bona fide reissue label, legit. https://shop.realgonemusic.com/collections/all  

The other Real Gone GA mentions is a grey market budget label. We've been through this before on the forum, it's confusing as they both use the same label name.

The PD Real Gone changed their name to "Reel to Reel" about a year ago, and have been republishing their sets under that label name with a different artwork design.  First picture is the design they used as "Real Gone", second is the one they use as Reel to Reel.  And that is for their jazz releases - their pop releases used different designs yet.  And they've gotten much better with their sound, are light years ahead of Not Now, but nonetheless, they are a PD label, as discussed ad nauseum through the years here.

Eight Classic Albums Vol. 2 * by John Coltrane (4 CD, 2012, Real Gone) Import

JOHN COLTRANE-VOL 2: EIGHT CLASSIC ALBUMS CD NEW

On 12/18/2019 at 10:41 PM, Justin V said:

The HRS Mosaic is on Discogs for $40.  I paid $30 for a copy without a box or giant book last year, which was a steal.  $40 for a complete set is also a bargain.  The set is a charmer. :wub:

And now someone is selling a boxless set for less than $40 after shipping on eBay.  The book is probably great, but anyone interested should take advantage of that price (and that is not my auction, BTW). 

Woody Herman Columbia 1945-47 Mosaic sealed copy for $109 on eBay. (Don’t know the seller, just came across the listing while searching for another Herman release.) Don’t know if that’s considered a bargain, but seems like a decent price for a brand-new OOP 7-CD set. 

EDIT: Maybe not such a bargain.  I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, given all of the evidence presented in the falling-Mosaic-market thread, but still a surprise to see that level of pricing for an OOP 7-CD set. Glad if it makes it more affordable for those who want to hear and acquire these collections, though. Loren Schoenberg’s notes for the Herman Columbia Mosaic are outstanding.

Edited by ghost of miles