Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, AaronG said:

So, I can get King Crimson "On (And Off) The Road" for about $106 total right now on ImportCDs versus at DMG for around $150.  My question is can ImportCDs be trusted shipping an LP sized box set?  Cheap is great but not if it comes damaged.

I've bought a few box sets from them, mostly classical.  I wouldn't say they arrive in perfect condition. One had a pushed-in corner, another had a lid with a tear in the corner.  I never received one in damaged condition, more like disappointing condition.  I don't think they take the greatest care with padding the inside of the shipping box.  Still, their prices can be great.

1 hour ago, AaronG said:

So, I can get King Crimson "On (And Off) The Road" for about $106 total right now on ImportCDs versus at DMG for around $150.  My question is can ImportCDs be trusted shipping an LP sized box set?  Cheap is great but not if it comes damaged.

Yes, they should be fine.  And their customer service is good if you have any issues.  They are my go-to for most CD's these days.  I ordered the 10 CD Woodstock set from them last year, and it was perfect when it arrived.

Edited by felser

13 hours ago, AaronG said:

I’ve purchased LPs from Import CDs. They were very well packed.  No damage. 

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

I barely know any of the pre-Buckingham/Nicks (pre-1975) version of FM, but have thought about picking up a few of these albums off and on over the last decade or so.

Should I take the plunge on the whole kit and caboodle?

8 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I barely know any of the pre-Buckingham/Nicks (pre-1975) version of FM, but have thought about picking up a few of these albums off and on over the last decade or so.

Should I take the plunge on the whole kit and caboodle?

$31.15 + $2.49 shipping from importcds.com where I pre-ordered mine.  Yes, dive in.   Very different group pre Buckingham/Nicks, and actually quite varied just across this set.  'Then Play On' is their Peter Green/Danny Kirwan masterpiece, guitars blazing.  The most famous cut is the great "Oh Well", but there are many excellent cuts across the album.  Green then exited, and Kirwan and Jeremy Spencer headed the lovely 'Kiln House'.   Spencer then exited, replaced by Bob Welch, with Christine Perfect (who became Christine McVie) joining from Chicken Shack, and Kirwan shone on 'Future Games' and 'Bare Trees', his unique writing and performing coming to it's apex.  Kirwan then exited, and three lesser albums ('Penguin', 'Mystery to Me', 'Heroes are Hard to Find') were recorded with Welch and McVie out front.  Even those have their moments.  Welch then exited, replaced by Buckingham/Nicks, and the rest is well-known.  There were actually three blues-rock albums prior to the albums on this set, but these are the albums where the early group sprouted wings.  I own all of these albums on CD already, but am getting this set for the remastering and bonus cuts.   Also, the history of the group during this period is fascinating, with Green, Spencer, and Kirwan all having significant strange situations involved in their exits.  Danny Kirwan is one of the most underrated/underrecoginzed talents in rock history, was a true original.  Adding in "Sands of Time" as an example of the utter beauty he produced at times.

I have an FM bootleg LP called “Merely A Portmanteau” which has two radio broadcasts.  Side one is the killer: an extended version of Rattlesnake Shake>Underway which is 18 minutes long, bluesy/rockin’/spacy with an improvisatory feel and great Peter Green.  Would love to find out if that has ever been commercially released.

5 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I have an FM bootleg LP called “Merely A Portmanteau” which has two radio broadcasts.  Side one is the killer: an extended version of Rattlesnake Shake>Underway which is 18 minutes long, bluesy/rockin’/spacy with an improvisatory feel and great Peter Green.  Would love to find out if that has ever been commercially released.

The three volumes of "Live at the Boston Tea Party" have that feel to them, with two versions of Rattlesnake Shake each over 24 minutes, and surprisingly good sound.   Peter Green/Danny Kirwan leaving this planet for glorious parts unknown, while Jeremy Spencer stands around befuddled, thinking about his Elmore James collection.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Can't recall what I paid for it, but that seems to be a good price. A great set. 

4 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Thanks for that heads up!  It showed there were only 20 left in stock and I can confirm there are now only 19 left!;)

30 minutes ago, Ed Swinnich said:

Tubby Hayes has arrived.  I've never knowingly listed to him prior to this purchase.  Looking forward to it.

I bought it mainly for that previously unissued session, "Grits, Beans And Greens", which used to list for around $25 by itself. So I get to update the other stuff with CDs mastered using the master tapes for only about $20 more. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 2:07 PM, kh1958 said:

Down to $41.05 for this great set: https://smile.amazon.com/Tubby-Hayes/dp/B07XK9WDSY I thought it was a steal at $45. :)