Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amazon is presently (April 5, 2011) offering the Nat Cole Hip-O Select 3-CD boxed set for $14.60.

Riffin': The Decca, JATP, Keynote, and Mercury Recordings

Now $53.31!

Now it's all the way back down to $14.11. :blink: :blink: :blink: The price of this has been dropping like a rock day by day these past several weeks. It won't get much lower... I think.

Thanks for the Nat King Cole repost. I missed it the first time. Sweet!

No problem, the day after I posted about this, it was at $54. :crazy: I think some other people who saw this post probably bought copies too.

This one looks interesting:

51jE9-YGwsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

40 CDs for $27.08. I like Vivaldi, so I may pick it up.

Just received a notice from Amazon that this shipped.

Moral: When you see a great deal like this, grab it. Delivered today; it's now $71.98 on Amazon.

I don't know if this has always been true, but there have been some big price fluctuations on Amazon, not just at usual sale times (like Christmas) but day to day and week to week. It's surprising--at east to me. Another example: my wife wanted a KitchenAid mixer and sent me a link (a gentle hint rolleyes.gif). While I mulled over this state of affairs I checked back on Amazon a few days later; price had dropped more than $20. It seems to pay to check the pricing over a few days time. Amazon seems to be pursuing the pricing game that airlines now use, where seat prices will fluctuate up or down depending on a host of factors on an almost continuous basis. I'm sure they are using some sort of algorithm to set pricing. No more "set it and forget it."

That's some crazy algorithm they're using there.

Amazon seems to be pursuing the pricing game that airlines now use, where seat prices will fluctuate up or down depending on a host of factors on an almost continuous basis. I'm sure they are using some sort of algorithm to set pricing. No more "set it and forget it."

Cournot quantity based demand model?

Edited by sidewinder

Amazon is presently (April 5, 2011) offering the Nat Cole Hip-O Select 3-CD boxed set for $14.60.

Riffin': The Decca, JATP, Keynote, and Mercury Recordings

Now $53.31!

Now it's all the way back down to $14.11. :blink: :blink: :blink: The price of this has been dropping like a rock day by day these past several weeks. It won't get much lower... I think.

Thanks for the Nat King Cole repost. I missed it the first time. Sweet!

No problem, the day after I posted about this, it was at $54. :crazy: I think some other people who saw this post probably bought copies too.

This one looks interesting:

51jE9-YGwsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

40 CDs for $27.08. I like Vivaldi, so I may pick it up.

Just received a notice from Amazon that this shipped.

Moral: When you see a great deal like this, grab it. Delivered today; it's now $71.98 on Amazon.

I don't know if this has always been true, but there have been some big price fluctuations on Amazon, not just at usual sale times (like Christmas) but day to day and week to week. It's surprising--at east to me. Another example: my wife wanted a KitchenAid mixer and sent me a link (a gentle hint rolleyes.gif). While I mulled over this state of affairs I checked back on Amazon a few days later; price had dropped more than $20. It seems to pay to check the pricing over a few days time. Amazon seems to be pursuing the pricing game that airlines now use, where seat prices will fluctuate up or down depending on a host of factors on an almost continuous basis. I'm sure they are using some sort of algorithm to set pricing. No more "set it and forget it."

http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358#

Herbie Mann - Four Classic Albums (2 CDs) - $5.30

Amazon has this UK (I think) public domain release of four Herbie Mann Prestige albums from 1957 and 1958.

Flute Souffle

Flute Flight

Just Wailin'

Yardbird Suite

I bought the first three above in 1969 for bargain bin prices. Flute Souffle and Flute Flight are great! Mann recorded a session with Bobby Jaspar which makes up all of Flute Souffle and Side A of Flute Flight. Side B is a Jaspar session. Just Wailin' is a blowing session that I've never been excited about.

Edit - Lon says that Yardbird Suite is a Savoy date.

Edited by GA Russell

http://www.michaelei...rg/blog/?p=358#

Very interesting! Thanks BW!

Granted, this is only what Marketplace sellers use. Amazon's own algorithm is almost certainly much "smarter" even if it does still occasionally lead to big price swings.

Does anyone want to try a little experiment with the "Tell us about a lower price" button? If so PM me.

Those KitchenAid mixers are great. We should start a thread on it.

They are. This is the 2nd one I bought. The first was for my daughter. It made untold numbers of cookies, brownies and other baked goods. Now that my daughter has her own place, the wife needed her own KitchenAid. Their utility is undoubted, but their musicality is sadly lackinghappy.gif