Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Debut Records Story was fulfilled by Amazon, sent to me via USPS.

But I see that Amazon is now sold out at the $9.99 price. The least expensive Marketplace Seller price is $21.99.

Amazon/Newbury now has more in at the $9.99 price.

http://www.amazon.com/Debut-Records-Story-Various-Artists/dp/B000000XB7/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1307747753&sr=1-1

Art Pepper - Blues for the Fisherman (4CDs) - $27.50

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/artpepper13

I actually went to the trouble of tracking down the two Mole Jazz LPs. I might lean more towards going the download route ($22), though it isn't clear what the bitrate is (I would suspect 320 but I'll try to find out). It's classy that they (CD Baby) let you read through the very interesting liner notes by Laurie before committing either way.

I actually went to the trouble of tracking down the two Mole Jazz LPs. I might lean more towards going the download route ($22), though it isn't clear what the bitrate is (I would suspect 320 but I'll try to find out). It's classy that they (CD Baby) let you read through the very interesting liner notes by Laurie before committing either way.

The Widow's Taste website has had other AP releases in flac - but not these as far as I can see.

http://www.lauriepepper.com/Blues_For_The_Fisherman/The_Album/The_Album.html

The Widow's Taste website has had other AP releases in flac - but not these as far as I can see.

http://www.lauriepepper.com/Blues_For_The_Fisherman/The_Album/The_Album.html

So this is what CD Baby has to say about it --

What bitrate are the MP3s for album X?

All of the MP3s available through CDBaby.com are encoded by us using the standard preset of the lame encoder. This means that you get Variable Bitrate MP3s with a target bitrate of around 200kbps.

That's awfully low. I could see going for 320 and maybe even 256. But 200? I guess I'll end up ordering the physical product, but slightly fewer. Maybe just Widow's Taste #1 (Abashiri) and #6 (Blues for the Fisherman).

I don't know if there's any love for Brel around here, but this

Jacques Brel: L'Intégrale Des Albums Studio (Coffret 13 CD),

for €40, looks like pretty good value for money to me.

There are other similar boxes by Brassens, Jean Ferrat, Barbara, etc.

F

Got it for x-mas... but haven't really come far with listening yet.

Would wish for the expensive Gainsbourg box to appear at such a great price one day... but I guess I got to spend more for that (and am not sure I really need it, as I have half or more on a dozen single discs).

Already have them, it's indeed worth it, his way of singing goes beyond the language barrier, unfortunately I'm stuck with the edition built as a huge candy box, as in Les Bonbons.

Ah, but that's the *complete* set. This one's missing the live recordings and some other assorted stuff, I presume.

F

Already have them, it's indeed worth it, his way of singing goes beyond the language barrier, unfortunately I'm stuck with the edition built as a huge candy box, as in Les Bonbons.

Ah, but that's the *complete* set. This one's missing the live recordings and some other assorted stuff, I presume.

F

They are indeed bonuses, but the thing is so freakin' huge it needs a room on its own.

I don't know if there's any love for Brel around here, but this

Jacques Brel: L'Intégrale Des Albums Studio (Coffret 13 CD),

for €40, looks like pretty good value for money to me.

There are other similar boxes by Brassens, Jean Ferrat, Barbara, etc.

F

Got it for x-mas... but haven't really come far with listening yet.

Would wish for the expensive Gainsbourg box to appear at such a great price one day... but I guess I got to spend more for that (and am not sure I really need it, as I have half or more on a dozen single discs).

Indeed the bigger boxes are more for completists more than anything else.

Edited by Van Basten II

I don't know if any of you had the Russian Archives sets from Brilliant, but I had a number of them, including Rostropovich, Oistrakh: Violin Concertos, Viktor Tretiakov and Daniel Shafran. For the price, the sound was fine and the performances were generally great. Anyway, there is some set that gathers up 13 of the original sets for a total of 100 CDs of performances by Soviet/Russian performers: 100 CD set.

Now I ordered one of the sets (supposedly on its way as we speak), and the seller claims to have more at $50. Caveat emptor and all that.

Edit they don't sell to Canada, guess they don't ship overseas :mellow:

Edited by Van Basten II

RE: Brel, I have a copy of the earlier complete edition, 10 CDs, and although it proved not to be really complete, it was more than OK. There is some stuff that was only released in singles or in live albums (don't remember how many there were) which I miss in this "albums originaux" set, like my favourite version of "Le Prochaine Amour".

It's interesting to listen to 30' CDs, with only the tunes originally released, in the order they were released. The sound, I must say, is excellent.

F

SecondSpin have a 30% off sale for orders of $30 or more until Monday. Some good box sets there at already reasonable prices, for instance the Art Pepper Village Vanguard box is $15.99, spend $30 and it is only $11.19. Reasonable shipping too.

SecondSpin have a 30% off sale for orders of $30 or more until Monday. Some good box sets there at already reasonable prices, for instance the Art Pepper Village Vanguard box is $15.99, spend $30 and it is only $11.19. Reasonable shipping too.

Bill Evans' Secret Sessions for only $15.99 (8 CDs).

Edited by B. Goren.

Link? ....... Are they dependable? Legit? I have never used them.

Edited by Morganized

Link? ....... Are they dependable? Legit? I have never used them.

I have good experience with them and I can definitely recommend.

http://www.secondspin.com/

Everything from Second Spin is used. The one exception, in my experience, was when I got the Art Pepper Village Vanguard box set. It was new/sealed but the area around the bar code was torn open and the bar code was blacked out. (I seem to remember getting that box set for $12.00 to $14.00 delivered.)

As soon as I saw the post on the Evans box set I checked the site and the title still appeared but it was at a zero quantity. That meant someone had just bought it and the system hadn't updated to reflect it gone. That was several hours ago and I see that it's gone now.

I've purchased many things over the years from Second Spin and have been very happy with my experience. I keep going back. Only once was I a bit disappointed. I got a 2-CD set where the discs and the box were a bit more scuffed up than I thought they should be but the discs still played perfectly. I kept it because it was a hard to find set at a good price. Most of the discs I buy there are in very good to like new shape. I say,shop away!