Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amazon UK have just dropped the price for the 13CD Davis set down to 26.46 pounds

Couldn't resist - after removal of VAT the box costs 22.05 pounds (35 Aussie $'s) & free shipping to Australia

That's just under $2.70 a disc - can't go wrong here

Can now offload all those Spanish boots - already had 60% of the material but it's nice to have it all in one set

Amazon UK have just dropped the price for the 13CD Davis set down to 26.46 pounds

Couldn't resist - after removal of VAT the box costs 22.05 pounds (35 Aussie $'s) & free shipping to Australia

Can now offload all those Spanish boots - already had 60% of the material but it's nice to have it all in one set

But be sure them reds still take oaths on the queen or that free shipping deal may be over fast! :crazy:

(Kind of perverted, anyway - free shipping from UK to OZ! Holy shit!)

But be sure them reds still take oaths on the queen or that free shipping deal may be over fast! :crazy:

Yeah, that's kind of wack. And free shipping to India and South Africa too! I'm sitting here in Canada, and I don't get free shipping (still part of the Commonwealth last time I checked). It wouldn't be such a big deal, but Amazon.ca is definitely the poor cousin to Amazon.com and even Amazon.co.uk in terms of selection and price.

Couldn't resist - after removal of VAT the box costs 22.05 pounds (35 Aussie s) & free shipping to Australia

Yeah, that's kind of wack. And free shipping to India and South Africa too! I'm sitting here in Canada, and I don't get free shipping (still part of the Commonwealth last time I checked). It wouldn't be such a big deal, but Amazon.ca is definitely the poor cousin to Amazon.com and even Amazon.co.uk in terms of selection and price.

Yep especially compared to the US version, if it's any consolation, they did improve, it was way worse a few years ago.

Original Jazz Classiscs (30 Albums) [import]

Track Listings

1. Art Blakey - Caravan (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

2. Art Pepper - Meets The Rhythm Section (All Music Guide: 5 Stars)

3. Benny Carter - Jazz Giant (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

4. Bill Evans - Waltz For Debby (All Music Guide: 5 Stars)

5. Bill Evans - Portrait In Jazz (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

6. Bobby Timmons - This Here Is Bobby Timmons (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

7. Cannonball Adderley Quintet - In San Francisco (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

8. Abbey Lincoln - Abbey Is Blue (Amg 4 Stars)

9. Sonny Stitt / Bud Powell / J.J. Johnson - Sonny Stitt / Bud Powell / J.J. Johnson

10. Chet Baker - Chet

11. Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Flies High (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

12. Eric Dolphy - At The Five Spot, Vol.1 (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

13. John Coltrane - Soultrane (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

14. John Coltrane - Lush Life (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

15. Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane - Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

16. Kenny Dorham - Quite Kenny (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

17. Kenny Drew Trio - Pal Joey (All Music Guide: 5 Stars?)

18. King Pleasure With Annie Ross - King Pleasure Sings/Annie Ross Sings (Amg: 4 Stars)

19. Miles Davis Quintet - Cookin' (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

20. Miles Davis Quintet - Steamin' (All Music Guide: 5 Stars)

21. The Modern Jazz Quartet - Django (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

22. Nat Adderley - Work Song (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

23. Barney Kessel, Shelly Manne & Ray Brown - The Poll Winners (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

24. Ray Bryant - Ray Bryant Trio (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

25. Red Garland Trio - Groovy (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

26. Shelly Manne & His Friends - My Fair Lady (All Music Guide: 5 Stars)

27. Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus (All Music Guide: 5 Stars)

28. Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners (All Music Guide: 5 Stars)

29. Wes Montgomery - The Incredible Jazz Guitar Of Wes Montgomery (Amg: 4 Stars)

30. Wynton Kelly - Kelly Blue (All Music Guide: 4 Stars)

$80.59 http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0041Q4GAY/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Not sure what the Euro conversion rate is like but I posted that Amazon UK is selling those sets for £10 on the previous page.

And about that, is there a distinct advantage to owning them if you have all the Legacy CDs? I know the Gil Evans does have a substantial amount of extra music but what of the other two?

Last thing: the Black Saint/Soul Note boxes are finally starting to hit Amazon (though no Lacy, Braxton or Konitz yet) and the prices are great-- most around $25-30.