Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dunno whether this qualifies as a bargain (4 CDs / $31.82 / FS @ Amazon, lower base price at Jazz Loft), but looks pretty good to me:

The two sessions with Ricky Ford & Sonny Fortune are intense. Or, to be drama with it, INTENSE!!!

Either way, but with confidence.

I just finished doing my taxes. JSngry's enthusiastic recommendations consumed a greater proportion of my 2011 income.

Edited by BeBop

The Mal Waldron does look good. It's $22 at J&R.

Thanks. FWIW, J&R currently has free shipping on $25+ and a bunch of RVGs @ $5.99.

J&R was my jazz hang back in the day. At one time (definitely not anymore), they had the best selection and prices in NYC.

Who has a better selection and prices now? I can see that J&R may not be what it was but I can't think of anywhere that beats it on those two criteria. Am planning another trip soon so am hopeful that there is somewhere I'm just not aware of.

The Mal Waldron does look good. It's $22 at J&R.

Thanks. FWIW, J&R currently has free shipping on $25+ and a bunch of RVGs @ $5.99.

J&R was my jazz hang back in the day. At one time (definitely not anymore), they had the best selection and prices in NYC.

Who has a better selection and prices now? I can see that J&R may not be what it was but I can't think of anywhere that beats it on those two criteria. Am planning another trip soon so am hopeful that there is somewhere I'm just not aware of.

I was last there in September for the first time in almost 10 years. Their jazz department has shrunken to a shell of its former self. No other places that I can think of except for a few specialty shops in Greenwich Village. I'm sure you know that Tower's been gone for years, and the Virgin Megastore in Times Square closed about 3 or 4 years ago. Brick and mortars, unfortunately, are dead. Deals online are sometimes so good that shopping real stores is no longer necessary just for the prices. The touchy/feely thing can be appealing, but the selection is no longer there. If you're into free/avant/Zorn type things, I'd check out the Downtown Music Gallery near Chinatown. Great selection and knowledgable staff:

www.dtmgallery.com

Good luck!

Everything I'd ever need from ELO could fit on one disc with room left over. I wouldn't want to sit through 11 discs of their stuff for any price. Invest that same money into Ray Charles' complete Atlantic recordings. Now there's a box set worth listening to.

I noticed on PopMarket that the Electric Light Orchestra Complete Album set is for $49.99. That's eleven cds for the price. I'm really thinking of pulling the trigger on this one.

Yeah, I bought the box set this morning.

Congratulations. It's a good set. I got mine on Amazon UK for about the same price. Never thought I would want more than the Greatest Hits and Out of the Blue, but there's lots of good pop on those albums.

512bcw35PBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The two sessions with Ricky Ford & Sonny Fortune are intense. Or, to be drama with it, INTENSE!!!

Either way, but with confidence.

Thanks. Got the Waldron box and am very happy! This Soul Note/Black Saint reissue program is going to cost me some serious money, but I won't complain if they're all this good. :tup I just splurged and ordered the Threadgill Complete Remastered box (yeah, I searched the archives and found some well-argued preference for the Mosaic, but price was a factor...).

Okay. who went for the PopMarket Partridge Family set?

I was so thinking about it, but I already bought the ELO set this week, and I couldn't justify to myself buying so soon afterwards. Besides, I have TPF DVDs! Come on, everybody get happy!

The Partridge Family set is one I didn't consider, though I'm known to have bad taste.

Today, PopMarket is hyping a Firesign Theater box that looks very interesting, but I've splurged on too many CDs of late...