Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Complete Original Mahavishnu Orchestra Columbia Albums Collection

£14.78 from Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Original-Mahavishnu-Orchestra-Collection/dp/B0080R7Q4S/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1366348636&sr=1-3&keywords=mahavishnu+orchestra

The pricing for these box sets is all over the place. The Brubeck set (currently £155) was advertised and reviewed in Jazzwise this month which suggests it might come down in price.

That Mahavishnu box price is fantastic, and it has 2+ discs of live MO.

£14.78 from Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Original-Mahavishnu-Orchestra-Collection/dp/B0080R7Q4S/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1366348636&sr=1-3&keywords=mahavishnu+orchestra

The pricing for these box sets is all over the place. The Brubeck set (currently £155) was advertised and reviewed in Jazzwise this month which suggests it might come down in price.

and I don't care.

£14.78 from Amazon UK.

and I don't care.

Huh?

The Paul Desmond is even cheaper now at £18.52.

@crisp: Do you think these are indeed reissues? I'd rather assume that after selling them exclusively via popmarket, they're now being sold with wider distribution ...

They've been on sale through Amazon for some time, but suddenly they are being listed as preorders, which implies Sony has repressed and is remarketing them. They are clearly the same sets, but at a lower price than either Popmarket or previously at Amazon. Hope they do the Dexter one next.

Woody Shaw's The Complete Columbia Albums Collection is being reissued on May 6. Amazon UK's preorder price is £27.99 -- about £4.70 a disc.

Anyone know if this will be reissued domestically? - meaning in the US? Been tempted by this set, even though I have the Mosaic (which I'd probably then sell).

Woody Shaw's The Complete Columbia Albums Collection is being reissued on May 6. Amazon UK's preorder price is £27.99 -- about £4.70 a disc.

Anyone know if this will be reissued domestically? - meaning in the US? Been tempted by this set, even though I have the Mosaic (which I'd probably then sell).

I'm not sure if it will be reissued domestically, but I've had great success ordering boxes from this series, cheaply, from the UK sellers on the Amazon Marketplace. I'm hoping with this reissue, it will be a bit cheaper than it has been previously. I recently ordered the 7 CD 1971-1975 Weather Report box for $22 with shipping. I'm hoping the Shaw set will be priced in a similar manner.

I'm on the fence about getting it since I also have the Mosaic set. It was my first Mosaic set, so I'll probably hang onto it even if I get the Complete Collection. I'm also tempted by the new Woody Shaw Mosaic even though I have all the 32 Jazz releases and most of the albums on vinyl. I keep telling myself I don't need it, but I keep having that thought, "But it's Woody Shaw!" I must be crazy! lol

We're all crazy here, but musically and soundwise, the Columbia totally obsoletes the Mosaic. Packaging and sentimental value are a different matter. BTW, is everyone hip to the 1977 Muse/32jazz album Louis Hayes - The Real Thing? That's a Woody Shaw album in all but name (he and Hayes co-led that group, with Rene McLean, Ronnie Mathews, and Stafford James, the same core group as the Berliner Jazztage concert and even has Slide Hampton guesting), and a gem. Could have easily been fit onto the Mosaic, but wasn't. A shame.

We're all crazy here, but musically and soundwise, the Columbia totally obsoletes the Mosaic. Packaging and sentimental value are a different matter. BTW, is everyone hip to the 1977 Muse/32jazz album Louis Hayes - The Real Thing? That's a Woody Shaw album in all but name (he and Hayes co-led that group, with Rene McLean, Ronnie Mathews, and Stafford James, the same core group as the Berliner Jazztage concert and even has Slide Hampton guesting), and a gem. Could have easily been fit onto the Mosaic, but wasn't. A shame.

I always found that one a wee bit underwhelming ... the band was good, there's better material in circulation (no suave Slide though). To me, the album doesn't quite live up. But I agree it ought to have been in the Mosaic.

It's nice to be among (crazy) friends. :)

Thanks for the tip about the sound quality of the Columbia. I was torn because of the extra live tracks and have been itching to get it. I guess you have put me over the edge and I'll have to get it when I can. :)

Re: The Real Thing and the upcoming Shaw Mosaic, see here: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/73164-upcoming-mosaic-woody-shaw-the-complete-muse-sessions/?p=1276419 Edited by J.A.W.

Also now available at greatly reduced prices are the Mahavishnu, Getz, and second Weather Report boxes. Still waiting for price drop on the Dexter.

Th!, just ordered the Mahavishnu, Getz, RTF and second Weather Report boxes, came in under $100 including shipping. Already have the Shaw.