Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There ARE gems in those there sets. I got the Wilson PIckett box a couple of years ago. I knew the singles, of course, but the albums as albums were a big surprise. PIckett really was one of the greatest male soul singers of all time.

Been contemplating Dionne Warwick...

Still am...

MG

• 2 weeks later...

This 5 CD box has generally been high priced, but I just snagged a copy from Wayside Music for 36 dollars. About half of the list price. http://www.waysidemusic.com/

stanko-tomasz-1970-1975-1984-1986-1988(c

That's a good price .... in fact the final two albums aren't that good, I think (some synth stuff, too, be warned), while the middle one is good rather than very good (the first two are mighty fine though ... and so's the Calig from the same time period).

Complete Brubeck QUARTET Columbia Album box set 67.02 dollars on amazon.com

UK Amazon has this set for £39.99 (take off VAT) -> good buy for us in Australia - comes to approx Aus $66 ($3.50 per disc)

That price is from a marketplace seller, so no VAT discount ( at least not for me in Canada).

Today I pre-ordered the Coltrane box set 'Heavyweight Champion' from Amazon.uk for the amazing price of £25.39. I understand that it's repackaged in a clamshell box with card sleeves. Release dated quoted as 8th October.

Apparently it's part of a greater reissue programme by Warner Jazz/Rhino from the Warner and Atlantic catalogues which will include Mingus' 6 cd set 'Passions of a man'.

Just in time for Christmas, my wife has been informed!!!

Currently even cheaper at £20.79

UK Amazon has this set for £39.99 (take off VAT) -> good buy for us in Australia - comes to approx Aus $66 ($3.50 per disc)

That price is from a marketplace seller, so no VAT discount ( at least not for me in Canada).

@romualdo: do you ever get any VAT deduction on seller's offers? Would be cool, but none for me!

Bummer, I didn't look at the finer print - sold by "Dirty Deals" & fulfilled by Amazon (VAT will not be taken off on this -> have just tried to place the order & it wasn't deducted)

@romualdo: do you ever get any VAT deduction on seller's offers? Would be cool, but none for me!

nope, but I actually thought the sellers that were "fulfilled by Amazon" did this - obviously not !!

Today I pre-ordered the Coltrane box set 'Heavyweight Champion' from Amazon.uk for the amazing price of £25.39. I understand that it's repackaged in a clamshell box with card sleeves. Release dated quoted as 8th October.

Apparently it's part of a greater reissue programme by Warner Jazz/Rhino from the Warner and Atlantic catalogues which will include Mingus' 6 cd set 'Passions of a man'.

Just in time for Christmas, my wife has been informed!!!

Currently even cheaper at £20.79

Even better than that, I was billed £20.04.

Had to hand it straight over to 'er indoors without even breaking the cellophane seal, roll on Christmas day!

Edited by RayB

Not sure whether this is the original Atlantic/Rhino boxset, if that's an issue for you. Amazon are showing the label as "CLASSICAL".

Nope, that's the recent reissue.

It's official. The back art differs slightly from the 1997 box (the blue Warner Music Group logo, and it's made in the EU instead of the U.S.A.).

81xf_MUqes4_L_SL1233.jpg

Edited by erwbol

Glad this came up. I've always (since about 1960) seen those Mingus Atlantics about and wanted to get them (all). But for one reason or other, the only one I've ever got has been 'Blues & roots'. So I sprang for this one - got it from a seller for £16-79 +1.26 postage.

MG

A little birthday present for yourself? :w

Glad this came up. I've always (since about 1960) seen those Mingus Atlantics about and wanted to get them (all). But for one reason or other, the only one I've ever got has been 'Blues & roots'. So I sprang for this one - got it from a seller for £16-79 +1.26 postage.

MG

A little birthday present for yourself? :w

Please let us know if they included the book (120 pages) for this set and what the packaging is like.

Edited by erwbol

Oh right. What extra you seem to get on the other one is a handful of alternative takes, an interview and (maybe) a 200 page sleeve note.

Hm....

MG

Oh right. What extra you seem to get on the other one is a handful of alternative takes, an interview and (maybe) a 200 page sleeve note.

Hm....

MG

The one GA Russell posted likely contains the more recent (inferior) remastering (it's from 2011).