Are there any box bargains currently available?

Amazon UK carries both 8-CD Art Tatum Complete Masterpieces sets (2010 reprints, European, possibly Italian) for just over £18 each.
F

The "Groups" is a wonderful box; highly recommended. It's surprising to hear how Tatum blossomed in a band - he's good with a drummer kicking him, and he's a surprisingly good supporting pianist. The solo box I find kinda draggy, and think there's better Tatum out there.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Curious mjzee at to what the better solo Tatum records are in your opinion.

I think solo Tatum at his best was when he was lively and astonishing, often in front of a small audience. The Pablo material (recorded towards the end of his career) is slower and more maudlin.

Of the good solo Tatum, unfortunately many of the surviving air checks and such have fairly bad audio quality, which in these cases do get in the way of listening pleasure. I'd characterize much of the Storyville box this way.

So we're talking about the combination of virtuosity, enjoyable performances, and listening pleasure. I'd start here:

51Gh03v7nJL.jpg

Originally 3 LPs, recorded at someone's house in front of a lively, appreciative crowd.

This is the other one that comes to mind:

51rS8GWp28L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Yeah, I've not been into soul before but I spent some time listening to music from this set on Spotify last night and enjoyed it. I think I'm going to get this one.

Not sure I'm into this stuff either, looks like more disco than soul from what I remembered from the first boxes anyway do you another place to listen to this stuff besides Spotify it ain't available here (Spotify not the boxes )

Unfortunately the price has increased to £38. Still cheap, but not the huge bargain it was.

Hope you didnt sleep on it like I did!

Sadly.... yes I did. Ah well, it'll be back (he says hopefully).

I did have a look on Spotify and couldn't find it but did enjoy catching up on some MFSB and Jones Girls disco stuff for old times sake !

Edited by sidewinder

Not sure if that's a bargain or an overpriced collection of material slowly getting out of copyright "prison " , looks interesting, anybody can share more light on this set, details are sketchy at best

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IY28XK0/ref=pe_208681_48552121_em_1p_0_ti

I'm not a fan of the Charly label, dreadful sound, often from vinyl. But the set will be interesting listening and broad in scope (120 different artists for the 269 cuts).