Are there any box bargains currently available?

It seems that the "Enlightment" label is releasing a number of boxes of pre-1962 (inclusive) recordings, some only as mp3 downloads. They've done Quincy Jones, Roland Kirk, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, Earl Hines (1951-1961), Art Farmer, Odetta, Mose Allison, Pete Seeger (x2), Ramsey Lewis, Freddie Hubbard, Jackie McLean (x2), Johnny Griffin,

I don't have any idea re: sources and sound quality.

F

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems that the "Enlightment" label is releasing a number of boxes of pre-1962 (inclusive) recordings, some only as mp3 downloads. They've done Quincy Jones, Roland Kirk, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, Earl Hines (1951-1961), Art Farmer, Odetta, Mose Allison, Pete Seeger (x2), Ramsey Lewis, Freddie Hubbard, Jackie McLean (x2), Johnny Griffin,

I don't have any idea re: sources and sound quality.

F

I have the couple by Quincy Jones and they sound OK. Minimal information but what do you expect for that price!

I see there are two sets by Ahmad Jamal available for pre-order at CD Universe at the moment. His complete recordings from 1951-1962.

BTW have you got a link for the Johnny Griffin set, I can't seem to find it?

Seems to be download only. It's on iTunes, Spotify, and Amazon UK.

F

Ah, that's why I couldn't find it... thanks.

You know, there's something that completely befuddles me. Why does iTunes offer things in one country, but not another.

That Griffin box set isn't available on American iTunes. I've seen that kind of thing before, as well. It just doesn't make any sense. I'd grab that sucker in a heartbeat, especially at THAT price.

They do have the Complete Sessions with Griffin and Lockjaw for $25, but not this one.

Very annoying.

F

You know, there's something that completely befuddles me. Why does iTunes offer things in one country, but not another.

That Griffin box set isn't available on American iTunes. I've seen that kind of thing before, as well. It just doesn't make any sense. I'd grab that sucker in a heartbeat, especially at THAT price.

They do have the Complete Sessions with Griffin and Lockjaw for $25, but not this one.

Very annoying.

Annoying yes, but legal. Those recordings are PD in Europe, but not in the US. According to law, you shouldn't be able to buy or import this kind of European reissues in the US (including the Fresh Sounds, etc.). Jazz is not important enough for anyone to stop that, but I think it's quite more difficult to find some EU Sinatra.reissues on that side of the pond.

F

Edited by Fer Urbina

But why not?

People buy imports by mail all the time. Is that actually illegal?

I believe it is a bit of a grey area, but definitely unenforced either way. My general understanding is that trade commissioners and others have found that an individual can import one copy for personal use without bringing down the copyright cops upon their head. But as with many things it is probably better left a bit ambiguous.

F

Very annoying.

Annoying yes, but legal. Those recordings are PD in Europe, but not in the US. According to law, you shouldn't be able to buy or import this kind of European reissues in the US (including the Fresh Sounds, etc.). Jazz is not important enough for anyone to stop that, but I think it's quite more difficult to find some EU Sinatra.reissues on that side of the pond.

F

The mention of "EU Sinatra reissues" caught my eye. Anything interesting there for the next time I'm in Europe?!

gregmo

Manfred Mann OAS - $14.33 + $3.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KM478P4/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_dp_1

Perhaps I've mentioned this before. This is EMI material. So why does Warner have it?

This is Parlophone material. All Parlophone recordings, except for The Beatles, went to Warner as part of the sale of EMI to Universal. Other labels that went to Warner include Colpix and Roulette.

Perhaps I've mentioned this before. This is EMI material. So why does Warner have it?

This is Parlophone material. All Parlophone recordings, except for The Beatles, went to Warner as part of the sale of EMI to Universal. Other labels that went to Warner include Colpix and Roulette.

So who got the Beatles recordings? (I tried to google this but never got an answer.)

MJZ, I don't think that these were Parlophone. I think they were on His Master's Voice. Maybe Warner got all of the HMV recordings as well.

Discogs says His Master's Voice as well:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/180634-Manfred-Mann

MJZ, I don't think that these were Parlophone. I think they were on His Master's Voice. Maybe Warner got all of the HMV recordings as well.

I didn't see anything about HMV going to WB on that page. But the band was called 'Mann-Hugg Blues Menn' in '62, when they played a regular gig at the Green Man, Southall, West London. So Discogs info isn't always top notch.

MG

The Parlophone logo is on the back of the package:

615BSkVE65L.jpg

So who got the Beatles recordings? (I tried to google this but never got an answer.)

Beatles went to Universal. See the back of the recent BBC package:

71dMfnJ%2BjIL._SL1500_.jpg

Looks like Universal really wanted The Beatles and Blue Note!

GA, thanks for posting this. It appears to be a copy of the Concepts set issued by Capitol in the US. Of course, without a complete track list, I can't tell if all the alternates were issued on the US set, but the three I can see in the amazon.uk blurb photo were. If anyone has specific info on the alternate tracks issue, I'd love to read it. Thanks again!

gregmo

And look to the left of the logo: "This collection P & C 2014 Parlophone Records Ltd., a Warner Music Group company." I think the divestment of labels like this was mandated by the EU as a condition for the approval of the sale of EMI to Universal.

Per the Manfred Mann, it's frustrating. The EMI stuff has been available in many configurations throughout the CD era (I own the 4CD "Down The Road A Piece" set, which is as perfect as these things get from what I can tell), yet as far as I know, the Fontana stuff that followed is very difficut to find. I have a spotty 20 track "Best of" from that era, but nothing more comprehensive is available that I know of. Am I missing anything?

The latest Jacques Brel intégrale, Suivre l'étoile, 21 CDs, for €50 at Amazon France.

F

extremely tempting ... but then I have the small "Intégrale des album originaux" .. hm ...

two I just got - Paul Simon - Complete Albums Collection for €37:

http://www.amazon.fr/Complete-Albums-Collection-Paul-Simon/dp/B007EG9CPM/

Earth Wind & Fire - Columbia Masters for €22:

http://www.amazon.fr/Columbia-Masters-Earth-Wind-Fire/dp/B005L12SH6/

The latest Jacques Brel intégrale, Suivre l'étoile, 21 CDs, for €50 at Amazon France.

F

extremely tempting ... but then I have the small "Intégrale des album originaux" .. hm ...

Same here. However, I've had the box in my hands and it looks terrific (10-inch square, IIRC). And although it's probably not the best way to judge this, I've listened to some mp3 and the sound is better to my ears. Of course there are complaints about this not being really complete and all that, but still...

F