Are there any box bargains currently available?

I find it hard to relate to the word "significant." It all comes down to whether you'd like to listen to it, whether it "speaks" to you. That could also take some time, to acclimate yourself to the strange dialects and to try to make sense of it all. I thought the Roots & Blues series was well done, judging by the material selected (Sony does own the original recordings of most of these); I haven't heard these discs to comment on the noise reduction. But if you can buy it for a good price, it's a good investment.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, as mj says, it's all a matter of what you enjoy listening to, unless you want to "study" the medium and if so there is a lot of music here representative of the period.

My favorite entry in the series is not in this box that I can tell, and is possibly more technically gospel than blues: "The Complete Blind Willie Johnson."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Blind-Willie-Johnson/dp/B0000028QB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421882251&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Complete+Blind+Willie+Johnson

These 30 sides really get to me. I can recommend them. . .though this one 2 cd release is about half the cost of this set of 20.

Edited by jazzbo

My favorite entry in the series is not in this box that I can tell, and is possibly more technically gospel than blues: "The Complete Blind Willie Johnson."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Blind-Willie-Johnson/dp/B0000028QB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421882251&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Complete+Blind+Willie+Johnson

These 30 sides really get to me. I can recommend them. . .though this one 2 cd release is about half the cost of this set of 20.

The Blind Willie Johnson recordings are in a class of their own as far as I'm concerned..they really hit the spot for me.

I bought them originally as a Folkways LP way back when and have since bought both the Blues 'n' Roots double CD mentioned above and also the collection that came out on JSP a few years ago. It's magnificent music and should be in any serious blues collection.

BTW the 'Blues 'n' Roots' doubler is going used for less than £10 + shipping at Amazon... pretty good value I'd say. The JSP collection "BWJ & The Guitar Evangelists" seems to be OOP and going for a silly price.

Oh, and I don't have any problem with the sound on any of the above sets.

Thanks all. And please don't read anything significant into "significant". I just meant is this a solidly curated set rather than a random selection from the top of the pile.

The original cds were solidly curated by Lawrence Cohn. The material selection was beyond reproach. We can argue about sound forever.

They seem to keep their website pretty much up to date indeed, yes. They operate out of the corner around Basel, so they ship from Germany, France or Switzerland, depending on where you live (do they offer free shipping globally? I think I never paid anything for shipping, though I've not ordered from them for a few years since they did cut down on much of the stuff I found there at attractive prices, including some Japanese releases).

A "new" release: Roots and Blues 20 CD boxed set is £42.01 at Amazon UK.

I recall this series when it was originally released but wasn't ready to explore blues at the time. Did anyone here collect the original releases? Would you recommend this box? is the sound Cedared to death? The artists certainly sound good and it is a legit release.

Thanks in advance!

This is now available from Amazon Resellers for $41.56 + shipping.

Miles Davis Quintet 1965-68 6 disc box selling for 19 dollars.

http://www.grooves-inc.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=miles+davis+quintet+1965-68

Thanks for posting about this! Inexplicably, considering how much I enjoy the work of the individual members of the quintet with Wayne Shorter, I only have Miles Smiles. In fact, I kind of forgot that the box set existed and probably would have ended up buying the albums individually. I'll be (im)patiently awaiting the set's arrival from Switzerland.

FYI: Shipping is free for orders over $23.04, but was a very reasonable $2.30 for the single box.

Edited by Justin V

I'm not into soundtracks either (they can be awfully repetitive), but I make certain exceptions and this would be one. Would it help your decision to know that (a) these are studio album sessions based on the score and not actual soundtracks and (b) these are all of Mancini's Sony-owned soundtrack albums?

• 2 weeks later...

Good prices on that site. Is their fill rate/delivery dependable?

Mine just came in today. I was after this boxset for some time, and with that price I didn't hesitate. Delivery was a bit longer than expected. They ship from Berlin.

And regarding their reliability I looked this site up frequently (for a.o. Brazilian stuff) around 2005/06, but I don't know if I ever ordered from them. I think not.

Rory Gallagher Irish Tour 1974 box (7 CD's and DVD) for just over $40 on Amazon. Ordered mine last night, even though I already own about half of it. Spectacular guitarist and great all around blues/rock musician who never got his due in his lifetime and passed on way too young.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00M8NMN48/ref=tmm_acd_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&sr=1-1&qid=1423861418

Good prices on that site. Is their fill rate/delivery dependable?

Mine just came in today. I was after this boxset for some time, and with that price I didn't hesitate. Delivery was a bit longer than expected. They ship from Berlin.

And regarding their reliability I looked this site up frequently (for a.o. Brazilian stuff) around 2005/06, but I don't know if I ever ordered from them. I think not.

My Miles box arrived yesterday. :excited:

Edited by Justin V

• 3 weeks later...