Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Contents:

1. Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn - Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn / New Stars - New Sounds Vol. 2
2. Stan Getz - The Stan Getz Quartet / The Stan Getz Quintet - Jazz at Storyville
3. Art Tatum - From Gene Norman's Just Jazz / Gene Norman's Just Jazz Vol. 3 / Frank Bull and Gene Norman's Blues Jubilee
4. Charlie Christian - Christian At Minton's / Charlie Christian - Dizzy Gillespie At Minton's
5. Lu Watters, Kid Ory, Albert Nicholas - Dixieland Jubilee Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
6. Charlie Parker - Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
7. Charlie Parker, Fats Navarro, Red Norvo, Hank Jones, Howard McGhee, Hot Lips Page, Buck Clayton - Originators of Modern Jazz / A DateWith… Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
8. Erroll Garner - Trio Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
9. Albert Ammons - Meade Lux Lewis - Blind John Davis - Kings of Boogie Woogie
10. Mahalia Jackson - Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
11. The Spirit of Memphis Quartet - The Spirit of Memphis Quartet
12. Wynonie Harris - Wynonie Mr Blues Harris / Slim Gaillard / Tiny Bradshaw / Little Esther / The Dominoes / Earl Bostic
13. Jelly Roll Morton - Piano Solos
14. Dave Brubeck - Quartet Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
15. Miles Davis - Young Man With a Horn Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
16. Red Norvo - Men at Work Vol. 1 / Vol. 2 / George Shearing Quintet
17. Gerry Mulligan - Gerry Mulligan Quartet Vol. 2 / Vol. 3 / Vol. 4
18. Chet Baker - The Chet Baker Quartet Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
19. Sidney Bechet - Sidney Bechet And His Blue Note Jazzmen Vol. 3 / Vol. 4
20. Lester Young - Les Chefs-d'.uvre de Lester Young Vol. 1 / Vol. 2

Source: Sony Japan.

F

Edited by Fer Urbina

Contents:

1. Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn - Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn / New Stars - New Sounds Vol. 2
2. Stan Getz - The Stan Getz Quartet / The Stan Getz Quintet - Jazz at Storyville
3. Art Tatum - From Gene Norman's Just Jazz / Gene Norman's Just Jazz Vol. 3 / Frank Bull and Gene Norman's Blues Jubilee
4. Charlie Christian - Christian At Minton's / Charlie Christian - Dizzy Gillespie At Minton's
5. Lu Watters, Kid Ory, Albert Nicholas - Dixieland Jubilee Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
6. Charlie Parker - Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
7. Charlie Parker, Fats Navarro, Red Norvo, Hank Jones, Howard McGhee, Hot Lips Page, Buck Clayton - Originators of Modern Jazz / A DateWith… Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
8. Erroll Garner - Trio Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
9. Albert Ammons - Meade Lux Lewis - Blind John Davis - Kings of Boogie Woogie
10. Mahalia Jackson - Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
11. The Spirit of Memphis Quartet - The Spirit of Memphis Quartet
12. Wynonie Harris - Wynonie Mr Blues Harris / Slim Gaillard / Tiny Bradshaw / Little Esther / The Dominoes / Earl Bostic
13. Jelly Roll Morton - Piano Solos
14. Dave Brubeck - Quartet Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
15. Miles Davis - Young Man With a Horn Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
16. Red Norvo - Men at Work Vol. 1 / Vol. 2 / George Shearing Quintet
17. Gerry Mulligan - Gerry Mulligan Quartet Vol. 2 / Vol. 3 / Vol. 4
18. Chet Baker - The Chet Baker Quartet Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
19. Sidney Bechet - Sidney Bechet And His Blue Note Jazzmen Vol. 3 / Vol. 4
20. Lester Young - Les Chefs-d'.uvre de Lester Young Vol. 1 / Vol. 2

Source: Sony Japan.

F

weird and disappointing - so it's jazz from Sony that was once distributed by Vogue ... gee, they even recycle Bechet on EMI ... PD, that, or has Sony gulped Universal too?

well, mostly it's compilations that probably were of use back in the fifties ... no idea where exactly the Parker sides come from (Savoy or Dial I'd assume), the Miles Davis is the Blue Notes I assume, as is the Bechet, the Brubeck either Fantasy or early Columbia material, the Pres possibly something similar to that double LP from Columbia's (Memorial Album?), the Charlie Christian should be wide-spread, too, so is the Getz, the Tatum ... possibly the Mulligan is more from Vogue's own Salle Pleyel recordings (or it's just Pacific sides, maybe Gene Norman and/or Fantasy sides added) etc. etc.

maybe if you grew up on those Vogue compilations in the fifties, you might be interested out of purely nostalgic reasons, but frankly I can't even really see that ...

as for "Jazz from America on Disques Vogue" - most of what's so far been reissued has been "Jazz from America", too, but recorded FOR Vogue, not just released ON Vogue. And there'd be plenty more for another volume (or even two?) alike the wonderful first box.

What's the Ellington/Strayhorn?

Amazon UK has the second "Complete Columbia Albums" set of Duke Ellington releases '59 to '61 for about 52 bucks shipped, ten discs. No other information on this other than it is released in six days.

I got this on the Duke-Lym list serve:

"Ellington Jazz Party

Anatomy of a Murder

Festival Session

Blues in Orbit

The Nutcracker Suite

Piano in the Background

The Peer Gynt Suites Numbers 1 and 2

Unknown Session

Piano in the Foreground

The Count Meets the Duke: First Time!

I’ve checked the track lists against my copies of older discs. Discs 1-4, 6, and 8-10 appear to be the same as those issued on CD by Columbia in the last couple of decades. The contents of the older CD Duke Ellington Three Suites is spread over discs 5 and 7. Disc 5 also includes the “Girls Suite” which was originally coupled with “The Perfume Suite” on vinyl and on a European CD. The latter suite appears to be missing here, according to the list."

Perfume Suite was on Indigos in the first box. 

I see there was a 1951 Vogue LP called "Piano Duet" that featured those Duke and Billy piano duets. . . .

Joe, yes I looked through discs and came to the same conclusion. I think there's a good chance that Jazz Party, Anatomy of a Murder and a few others will be remastered for this set. We'll see.

Edited by jazzbo

Joe, yes I looked through discs and came to the same conclusion. I think there's a good chance that Jazz Party, Anatomy of a Murder and a few others will be remastered for this set. We'll see.

Anatomy was one of those that were remastered in 1999    with many "bonus tracks.  Jazz Party on the other hand could definitely use a remaster. 

I have Jazz Party and Nutcracker/Peer Gynt as Columbia Jazz Masterpieces -- very old. I'm sure those are the only CD releases there have been.

I don't recall Unknown Session coming to CD other than in the European Jazz Originals series.

The others were all given the royal treatment by Didier C. Deutsch or Phil Schaap.

I'm bummed that the 1962 albums aren't here. Revisionism at work perhaps?

I have Jazz Party and Nutcracker/Peer Gynt as Columbia Jazz Masterpieces -- very old. I'm sure those are the only CD releases there have been.

I don't recall Unknown Session coming to CD other than in the European Jazz Originals series.

The others were all given the royal treatment by Didier C. Deutsch or Phil Schaap.

Apparently The Nutcracker will also contain The Girls' Suite and I'm guessing that Peer Gynt will have Suite Thursday. 

I would not hold my breath waiting for a complete "live" set of the Dave Brubeck Quartet.  Word was that Mr. Brubeck strongly disliked the albums Jackpot and The Last Time We Saw Paris and refused to have them reissued on CD during his lifetime.  Assuming that one or more of his offspring are now in charge of his musical legacy, I would fully expect that they would honor their father's desires not to have those two albums in particular reissued legitimately.

I  

They seem be avaialbe on one cd:

http://www.amazon.com/All-American-Jazz-Midnight-Paris/dp/B00BWS4TF6/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1442444229&sr=1-1&keywords=Duke+ellington+All+American

Unfortunately that's not an official release.

I would not hold my breath waiting for a complete "live" set of the Dave Brubeck Quartet.  Word was that Mr. Brubeck strongly disliked the albums Jackpot and The Last Time We Saw Paris and refused to have them reissued on CD during his lifetime.  Assuming that one or more of his offspring are now in charge of his musical legacy, I would fully expect that they would honor their father's desires not to have those two albums in particular reissued legitimately.

I believe he also hated some of the albums that were in the studio sessions box set. He was wrong as they are all great. I'm still optimistic that we will get the complete live box.

I believe he also hated some of the albums that were in the studio sessions box set. He was wrong as they are all great. I'm still optimistic that we will get the complete live box.

Well, some are a good bit greater than others.  But I agree, no real dogs in that box.  And doubt there would be in a live box either.