GA Russell

Are there any box bargains currently available?

2,263 posts in this topic

Phil Woods told me during an interview that the tapes to the CD Dizzy Gillespie Meets the Phil Woods Quintet were recorded for another label, stolen and then issued by Timeless. At the time he said he was suing them, though I don't know how the case was resolved.

There seems to be some confusion. . . I don't think THIS Timeless is the same as the European label, but rather is a Korean label of Universal Music. . .who own Blue Note. Looking for the same product number on other amazons it seems a box set packaging to selling Blue Note titles.

Lon, that's good to know.  So that another Universal label I hadn't heard about.  Thanks!

Greggery, how is the sound on that?  I thought that that particular label is known for poor sound.

2 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Greggery, how is the sound on that?  I thought that that particular label is known for poor sound.

I think that the sound is very good. Very present, and clear. I can't speak to the source, I know that Real Gone is one of the EU "knock-off" labels but I give this set very high marks for audio. The John Kirby album (the one I was most interested in) sounds great but overall there is a great deal here to enjoy. $8.19 very well spent. 

Anything new coming from Black Saint/Soul Note?