GA Russell

Are there any box bargains currently available?

2,284 posts in this topic

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:05 AM, crisp said:

And incomplete, to boot. This is the one to get.

The liner notes for that project were done by a friend from here in Toronto, Ron Gaskin.  In addition to writing poetry, he used to be a manager at the main store of the Canada-wide record store chain, Sam The Record Man.  He knows his music!

This collection was instigated by the Canadian branch of Verve/Universal...an affordable, yet thorough release. 

It's a useful set covering a lot of material inexplicably not released to CD by Verve's American wing. The sound quality is variable, however. 

3 hours ago, crisp said:

It's a useful set covering a lot of material inexplicably not released to CD by Verve's American wing. The sound quality is variable, however. 

I find the sound is acceptable, if not exciting.  It's noted it was done from the original tapes by "Verve New York" though there are no specific engineers credited.

Agreed. It is variable, however. Some sessions sound better than others. Still, happy to have it.

On 20/04/2017 at 1:46 PM, jazzbo said:

With Django there are so many different issues and this has all been out elsewhere.

But it works well together like this and the sound is excellent indeed. I paid more for my set and I was very happy to get it.

Agreed. I paid more too. Don't know how much, but it's very good. There are the ultraphone sessions (some of the first recordings he did), different airchecks (one with a US Air Force band) and more.

I keep forgetting that Doldinger is a German!