Randy Weston

six string

I'm reading the new autobiography of Randy Weston's so I've been listening to a lot of his music lately. There are two of his albums in his discography that I meant to get back when they were released but didn't and I was wondering if anyone here has an opinion about them. They are Khepera an Earth Birth. There seemed to be a lot of his music getting released back in the 90s and I couldn't keep up with them and now I'm wondering if I should try and find them. I recently picked up Zep Tepi and Ancient Future/Blue and I really like them a lot. Somehow I missed those when they came out too!

Khepera is one of the first records where Randy let Alex Blake LOOSE and he doesn't pull out any stops. A very interesting album recorded in a sort of "rock" way.

Earth Birth is an orchestral album with some great Liston arrangements and Billy Higgins in the drum chair. If that sounds like you'd like it, you will.

I agree with Jim. Weston's work is pretty damned consistent, and I'm a big fan.

I am a huge Randy Weston fan - when I was with the Chicago Jazz Festival I built a night around him and commissioned a new work - the participants were Johnny Griffin, Richard Davis, Art Blakey, Dizzy Gillespie and Machito's band. I would agree with all said here but I feel you are lucky Earth Birth is available so inexpensively. The format really does not enhance his music in my opinion. He plays like the artist he is but if I was compelled to dispose of 2 of his discs, this would be one.

I am a huge Randy Weston fan - when I was with the Chicago Jazz Festival I built a night around him and commissioned a new work - the participants were Johnny Griffin, Richard Davis, Art Blakey, Dizzy Gillespie and Machito's band. I would agree with all said here but I feel you are lucky Earth Birth is available so inexpensively. The format really does not enhance his music in my opinion. He plays like the artist he is but if I was compelled to dispose of 2 of his discs, this would be one.

I was concerned about the strings too which is why I enquired here before buying it. Khepera would be more my taste and it would be a treat to hear smiling Billy in the drum chair with Randy's group.

BTW I've been listening to Randy for many years and I've seen him three times in concert so I'm not exactly a new fan. The only album I don't care for that I own is Destry Rides Again. I was suspect when I found the copy because it was a musical but at the same time there have been successful jazz albums based on musicals and like JSngry said, I haven't bought anything I didn't like. Still, it was a disappointment to put it mildly. It still sits in my collection though. I can't seem to let go of it for some dumb reason. That Zep Tepi album is fantastic. If you haven't heard it I highly recomend it. It's a trio with Alex Blake and Neil Clarke.

I think Randy mentions that Chicago Jazz Festival date in his book. Did he play with other groups/musicians during the festival?

What was the name of the music piece you commisioned?

Edited by six string

I was concerned about the strings too which is why I enquired here before buying it. Khepera would be more my taste and it would be a treat to hear smiling Billy in the drum chair with Randy's group.

BTW I've been listening to Randy for many years and I've seen him three times in concert so I'm not exactly a new fan. The only album I don't care for that I own is Destry Rides Again. I was suspect when I found the copy because it was a musical but at the same time there have been successful jazz albums based on musicals and like JSngry said, I haven't bought anything I didn't like. Still, it was a disappointment to put it mildly. It still sits in my collection though. I can't seem to let go of it for some dumb reason. That Zep Tepi album is fantastic. If you haven't heard it I highly recomend it. It's a trio with Alex Blake and Neil Clarke.

I think Randy mentions that Chicago Jazz Festival date in his book. Did he play with other groups/musicians during the festival?

What was the name of the music piece you commisioned?

Randy did duos with Art Blakey, then Richard Davis and Griffin played duos, then all four played. Machito's band played a set, then Dizzy's quartet, then all were on stage for "A Night In Tunisia" (Walter Davis on piano) and finally the commission "African Sunrise".

I think a couple of board members were there.

So I've heard...I'm like you, though. I think it's fine.

It's Tanjah I have a hard time with sometimes, just the way it's recorded.

I have a little trouble with Tanjah too. I just gave it another spin yesterday and it still doesn't really work for me.

Chuck, that's cool that you got to commission such a great song. The Spirits of Our Ancestors is one of my favorite albums by Weston. I think I'll cross Earth Birth off my list.

Re: Blue Moses, it might not be my favorite Weston album bu it's one of my favorite CTI albums. I'd like to hear the original arrangements by Melba Liston.

Edited by six string

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't be afraid of "Earth Birth". I think it is fantastic. I am a big Billy Higgins fan, Randy Weston sounds his usual great, and Christian McBride is on bass. The strings did not ruin this album for me. Melba Liston uses some of the same arrangements that she did for Randy Weston's United Artist album: "Little Niles: Randy Weston's Music" (1958). That album is one of my favorite Weston recordings. The Musicians are Johnny Griffin, Ray Copland, Melba Liston, George Joyner, and Charles Persip, and the arrangements are amazing.

P.S. Also, it is really good winter listening, and that season is almost here.

Edited by piano Dan

While Earth Birth is by no means bad - I haven't met a truly bad Weston album - I agree with Chuck that it's one of his more dispensable. I picked up a used copy for just a couple bucks maybe a year ago and was rather disappointed. Randy's more recent stuff with Alex Blake is amazing; they put on a stunning show at the Jazz Bakery a couple years back.