Hans Koller dies

brownie

From AP:

VIENNA, Austria (AP ) - Saxophonist Hans Koller, who rose to world fame and played with some of America's jazz legends, died following a bout of pneumonia, Austrian state radio reported Tuesday. He was 82.

Koller, who also made his mark as a jazz composer, died Monday. He played with Dizzy Gillespie, Lee Konitz, Zoot Sims and Stan Kenton during his long career.

Koller was only 14 but already a veteran performer when he registered at the Vienna Music Academy as a fifth-semester student in 1935.

After being drafted into the German Wehrmacht in 1941, Koller was captured by the U.S. army. He set up a band as a prisoner of war - and its popularity was so great that he was among the last to be released, the Austria Press Agency reported.

He returned to Vienna in 1946 and immediately founded the Hot Club Vienna. Four years later went to Germany to launch his international career.

Despite numerous offers to move to the United States, where he was acclaimed by critics and respected by jazz greats, Koller preferred to remain in Europe.

In 1958, Koller played with Benny Goodman and his band at the World Exhibition in Brussels.

At the first all-European jazz festival in 1960, in Antibes, France, Koller won the distinction of best soloist.

Koller was the first European jazz musician to receive five stars from the U.S. music magazine Downbeat, its highest distinction.

Fellow Austrian jazz musician Joe Zawinul - himself internationally renowned - called him "our God."

Koller began composing and painting in the 1960s He stopped playing in the 1980s.

That's sad. I have just discovered Hans Koller through the recent MPS reissues. I've included below some information (previously posted on the AAJ board) on these sessions which are hardly known in the US.

Since 1996 there is a Hans Koller Jazz Prize, the 2003 event took place in Vienna only two weeks ago.

koller-hi.jpg

Hans Koller

--------------------------------

The six Hans Koller titles are available as from today from Amazon Germany (10 Euro each, 5-6 days shipping time). I've translated the short descriptions from their website. Click on the cover picture for the Amazon.de link.

I've heard a Hans Koller CD sampler that came out some years ago and I'm tempted to get them all. The earliest records are the best in my view.

B0000E5SJS.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Exclusiv (1964)

Hans Koller's first MPS LP is one of today's most sought after records from the label. Koller plays in a quartet and nonett with outstanding musicians such as Attila Zoller (guitar), Jimmy Pratt (drums) and Ex-Ellington-bassist Oscar Pettiford. An absolute classic in german jazz - for the first time on CD.

B0000E5SJT.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Relax With My Horns (1966)

A legendary trio recording with J.A. Rettenbacher (bass) and Rafi Luederitz (drums). Remarkably, Koller plays up to four tenor and soprano saxophone voices in overdub and so creates a "one man sax section".

B0000E5SJO.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

New York City (1968)

This album was only released in 1979, but the grandiose music for orchestra and solists was recorded 11 years before. The musicians are regulars of the czech Gustav Brom Big Band and top solo artists such as trumpeter Benny Bailey, trombonist Peter Herbolzheimer, saxophonists/flutists Joki Freund and Emil Mangelsdorff, bassist Jiri Mraz and of course Koller.

B0000E5SJP.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Phoenix (1972)

In the 70's, Hans Koller played a free but not chaotic music full of tension and intensity, with pianist Albert Mair, bassist Adelhard Roidinger and drummer Alex Bally. The album title expressed the fact that Koller, who had spend some years with painting, entered the jazz scene again, like Phoenix rising from the ashes.

B0000E5SJR.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Kunstkopfindianer (1974)

Together with constituents from the New Jazz scene, Zbigniew Seifert (violin & saxophone), Janusz Stefanski (drums) and Wolfgang Dauner (keyboards), Hans Koller created a sound world of melodic sketches and rhythmic structures. Despite the greatest possible freedom, the group never gets lost in noise orgies or sound babbling (literate translation :))

B0000E5SGI.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Zoller Koller Solal (1965)

For this MPS highlight, producer Joachim-Ernst Berendt had the idea to unite a group without a rhythm section, only saxophone, guitar and piano. This timeless and tension-loaded album received a five star review in Down Beat, which is very rare for european productions.

-------------------------

Edited by Claude

One of my favorite recordings of his (I know not many of them, have not picked up any of the MPS CDs yet) is this one:

B000025J3X.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

it features the quartet of OP, Koller, Attila Zoller and Jimmy Pratt. Some more tracks by this line up have been included on one of the above MPS CDs (see the MPS thread in the Reissue secion for more).

ubu

Very very sad news indeed. Koller was one of the greatest and most original European jazz musicians in the 20th century - and an interesting painter as well.

That Jazz Realities CD couw recommended is a treat.

I always loved the Vienna Blues pictured above, got the MPS "Exclusiv" only last week - this is simply a year that's almost too hard to endure. So many greats that we lost.

RIP Hans, you're having a great jam session with Prez, Stan, Bill Perkins and all the "brothers", I'm sure!

• 1 month later...

There's a beautiful Koller solo rendition of "Lush Life" (on tenor, of course), on the following album:

hatOLOGY 520

Bernd Konrad Hans Koller Unit with Didier Lockwood

Phonolith

Phonolith.jpg

I got this disc yesterday, and think it's a rather interesting one, but need to listen to it some more times.

That one track by Koller solo is very beautiful, though!

By the way, Mike, some of the material from "Phonolith" (Body & Soul among it) has been recorded in 1994! The other tracks from that date include a duo by Konrad & Koller, and a larger ensemble (recording the title tune), featuring among others Herbert Joos, Kenny Wheeler, Pierre Favre.

Here you can see all the details:

520b.gif

ubu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You'll find 6 previously unreleased tracks by Koller (with Fritz Pauer) on that release:

http://www.sonarkollektiv.de/releases/SK019CD/

excellent stuff! (as the two tracks by Ronnie Ross!)

Christian

picked up this release on new 2LP set, it's very good, pretty accessible stuff so not sure how representative it is of the artists in question.

• 5 years later...

That's sad. I have just discovered Hans Koller through the recent MPS reissues. I've included below some information (previously posted on the AAJ board) on these sessions which are hardly known in the US.

I've heard a Hans Koller CD sampler that came out some years ago and I'm tempted to get them all. The earliest records are the best in my view.

DO you know if this was this ever reissued in Europe? From 1958 according to the gokudo site.

slp.jpg