Amy Winehouse

Dave James

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's another one some of you may enjoy, an interpretation of Don't Go To Strangers w/ Paul Weller. Nice sax solo just before the 3:00 mark. This is a little later in the game (2008) when it looks like things might have started coming apart.

My link

I really think this gal is a talent. Too bad she can't handle it.

well...I'm not sure it's that great - I think it's more that she can do it in a half-way decent version that surprises.

it's more like a good performance on open-mic night at your local Holiday Inn; the incongruity of it makes it seem better than it really is.

Yeah! Kinda the way I see it too.

well...I'm not sure it's that great - I think it's more that she can do it in a half-way decent version that surprises.

it's more like a good performance on open-mic night at your local Holiday Inn; the incongruity of it makes it seem better than it really is.

Yeah! Kinda the way I see it too.

There's a whole show called American Idol which glorifies that sort of performance. I think she's better than that.

She has decent taste in music. Her albums haven't blown me away or made me listen over and over...but she's good. Her choice of material is far superior to most of the current singers in the genre, and that she has had a degree of commercial success singing quality music in a time when commercial success doesn't necessarily mean the music is up to par is...notable. I mean, there's singers who are famous right now who I haven't heard a single good song from (Usher, really?). At least Amy's got some legitimate substance.

Edited by Noj

• 7 months later...

Yeah, I can imagine being in her band. Been there, done that. With more than one "artist", local and otherwise.

Loads of fun, let me tell you...

And whoever let her go on stage in that condition probably had just collected the rest of the fee and was on the way to wherever they were going to escape being "asked" to return it.

Loads of fun, let me tell you. LOADS of fun.

Truth be told, her band deserves double pay (at least) for holding that shit together so when she did zone in, she had someplace to land. Those guys kept it as tight as they would have had she been able, and that's not easy.

That last graph is a doozy:

...Though admittedly hindered by booze, the musician in Winehouse is still trying to put a new spin on songs she must be heartily sick of by now. If the people of Belgrade wanted note-perfect versions, perhaps they should have stayed at home and listened to the records.

So, she was just hindered by booze (as opposed to completely wiped out) and only trying to put a new (presumably "jazzy") spin on some old chestnuts because, poor thing, she must be sick of having to sing all those tunes straight by now.

:blink:

That last graph is a doozy:

...Though admittedly hindered by booze, the musician in Winehouse is still trying to put a new spin on songs she must be heartily sick of by now. If the people of Belgrade wanted note-perfect versions, perhaps they should have stayed at home and listened to the records.

So, she was just hindered by booze (as opposed to completely wiped out) and only trying to put a new (presumably "jazzy") spin on some old chestnuts because, poor thing, she must be sick of having to sing all those tunes straight by now.

:blink:

I was kind of thinking that with the stints in rehab keeping her off the road, she was kind of like a red-shirt freshman and should have some spare enthusiasm.

Anyway, the comments are runnning roughly 98-2 in favor of calling the author of the piece a complete wanker.