Amy Winehouse

Dave James

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Her unnecessarily short life perhaps highlights the longevity of Keith Richards, who I gather did everything she did ten or twenty times over, but inexplicably lived to tell about it.

Nope, Keith knew his limits. Referring to that he once said "I never turned blue in somebody else's bathroom."

Her unnecessarily short life perhaps highlights the longevity of Keith Richards, who I gather did everything she did ten or twenty times over, but inexplicably lived to tell about it.

Nope, Keith knew his limits. Referring to that he once said "I never turned blue in somebody else's bathroom."

I just finished his biography and he indeed knew his limits. (And was never shy about hitting them.) The casualties were those who didn't know their limits and kept reaching for that next level of high.

She had it comin'.

Really?

So Bird did too (have it comin')?!? - & many others.

Maybe I misunderstand your comment. Seems a little cold.

At any rate, I thought she had much potential.

I'll miss hearing what might have been.

Absolutely agree. I had the same reaction. Hopefully, it was not intended as it came across. Boy, the thing about potential. That's so right on... just a killer. Not only Winehouse, but all the others. What is it about celebrity that pushes people to and beyond the brink?

One of the things that initially attracted me to Winehouse was her respect for the past, i.e. great American songbook, a trait attributable to her father. Here's a good example. Let's all put our most advanced thinking caps on and try to imagine Justin Beiber tackling this:

Edited by Dave James

A bit smug, perhaps (and is it really true?), but never underestimate the power of "professional pride", even in matters such as this.

The media that is now weeping for her also encouraged this celebrity excess. Kids in this sort of situation are expected to live the dangerous, rock'n roll lifestyle in order to be edgy. They all assume they are going to be Keith rather than Brian.

The way the media used this woman's unfortunate life to provide copy crosses into another ugly story dominating the news at present.

Shocked to hear this - although shouldn't have been. Just on the radio yesterday morning Tony Bennett was talking about his new 'Duets' album and said that he had great fondness for Whitehouse as a singer and as a person and was very worried for her health.

I think her Aunt Cynthia (or was it Great Aunt?) was a fiance of Ronnie Scott so there were big jazz vibes in that North London family. Such a shame that the recent rehab didn't have any success. What a great shame, RIP. :(

Edited by sidewinder

The media that is now weeping for her also encouraged this celebrity excess. Kids in this sort of situation are expected to live the dangerous, rock'n roll lifestyle in order to be edgy. They all assume they are going to be Keith rather than Brian.

The way the media used this woman's unfortunate life to provide copy crosses into another ugly story dominating the news at present.

We can blame the media, her handlers, her friends or her family. But ultimately, she's the one who is responsible, not the media. They're just feeding the rest of us the fast food we love.

She was basically a kid at 27, and her death is sad. But there are thousands of unknown addicts sleeping under bridges who we collectively couldn't care less about (until they rob us. Then it's a huge problem that needs immediate attention). But when the media turns its attention to those people, we let out a collective yawn and turn the page.

And that's the way it is. ...

But ... I really enjoyed the clip Dave James posted above.

Read somewhere this morning that a friend/colleague/whatever said that she was bi-polar but refused to take appropriate medication. That would explain a lot.

When all is said and done, I think everything pretty much everything we do comes down to brain chemistry. Just a hunch.

We can blame the media, her handlers, her friends or her family. But ultimately, she's the one who is responsible, not the media. They're just feeding the rest of us the fast food we love.

She was basically a kid at 27, and her death is sad. But there are thousands of unknown addicts sleeping under bridges who we collectively couldn't care less about (until they rob us. Then it's a huge problem that needs immediate attention). But when the media turns its attention to those people, we let out a collective yawn and turn the page.

And that's the way it is. ...

My thoughts exactly ... and even more so when I think about the kids killed in Norway - wasn't this in the US media? Much more devastating news than the death of a distracted singer ...

Seems to me that once you begin thinking that way -- these deaths (i.e. "the kids killed in Norway") automatically matter more than those deaths or that death (e.g. Winehouse's -- assuming you think that Winehouse's death matters or ought to matter much at all), then you're on a very slippery slope. Like, does the Holocaust or the Black Death make the killing of the kids in Norway less meaningful? Not IMO. How about the assassination of JFK? Arguably made a big difference in the course of history. There's no moral meat locker where one can take dead bodies and total up the score.

She had it comin'.

Really?

Absolutely agree. I had the same reaction. Hopefully, it was not intended as it came across. Boy, the thing about potential. That's so right on... just a killer. Not only Winehouse, but all the others. What is it about celebrity that pushes people to and beyond the brink?

Seemed to me she had a death wish and was on a mission to do herself in. That might be cold, but since others comments of 'not being surprised' don't merit the same reaction...

Also, Amy Winehouse was not Bird, nor Billie.

Read somewhere this morning that a friend/colleague/whatever said that she was bi-polar but refused to take appropriate medication. That would explain a lot.

When all is said and done, I think everything pretty much everything we do comes down to brain chemistry. Just a hunch.

Some are sicker than others. Drug addiction doesn't make people with mental health issues healthier.

She had it comin'.

Really?

I hear this so often and it sounds a bit backwards.

Addicts and alcoholics have serious problems dealing with the day to day issues of life. Having a high pressure job doesn't make it any easier to stop. It isn't the celebrity, it's the disease that kills them. You don't have to be famous to be dead from alcoholism or drug addiction. The disease does not discriminate.

Some are sicker than others. Drug addiction doesn't make people with mental health issues healthier.

No, but mental health issues do explain the impulse toward wanton self-destructive/suicidal behavior. A bi-polar addict who refuses to take medication specifically targeted at treating that condition is essentially disallowing for the possibility of behaving rationally about anything, not just their addiction.

Which is not to say that if she took the medication that she would automatically choose to attempt sobriety, much less succeed, just that without it, she was going to go off the rails anyway, which she certainly did.