Han Bennink

clifford_thornton

My Dutch is non-existent, but even not understanding what was being said, the footage is incredible.

Also, dig the fact that you get some of the sessions for ICP 01, the New Acoustic Swing Duo, on film. I have to thank Pedro Moreno (our own epistrophy_arts) for hipping me to this bit of history.

What a beautiful document. Check it out here.

Han in a tux!!!!

Re: not knowing Dutch--you, Clifford, are so deep into this stuff you probably should have a passable knowledge of some of the European languages. I wonder how much information, insights, analysis, etc. I miss about my favorite artists because my German is weak, and my French and Italian is at the level of a four-year-old. There's so much "jazz" literature that doesn't get translated.

• 11 years later...

These bandcamp articles are usually dreadful. This one is excellent. Frankly just all too rare to see this music treated accurately and squarely in these pseudo-mainstream outlets these days. I pulled out some from the piece and a few others to spin today. 

8 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I wasn't overly impressed by the description of PB as a "sax scrawler" and FvH as a "piano pumeler", pretty reductive and not very respectful.

That aside, a decent enough read

I can agree with that. I'm mostly just pleased the author took time to place the music historically and not ascribe anything too extra-textual to it, which is very much in vogue now to the detriment of everyone.