Are you an introvert?

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

From what I understand, the I and the E in the Briggs Myers personality type indicator refer to the preferred direction of one's attention, inward (introverted) or outward (extraverted) , not to whether one is a "people person" or not, not to whether one is gregarious or not, and certainly not to whether one is extraverted or introverted (noisy or quiet) in the ordinary language meanings of those terms.

And everyone uses each of the indicators to some degree or another. Everyone uses I and E, N and S, T and F, and J and P. A more balanced approach is to use all of them or else be one-sided in some area. For example, a too strong reliance on N (intuition) may be at the cost of objectivity (S or sense experience). A too strong reliance on P (seeing options and opennness) may cost you in decisiveness. A too strong reliance on J might make you very decisive but closed to other options or possibilities. (the politician we praise for being decisive even if what he stands for, looked at objectively, is repugnant to us -- this happens a lot! the principled fool.). Etc. With experience we tend to draw on all of them to a greater extent. I read this in Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type, by Isabel Briggs Myers. Interesting book.

Edited by It Should be You

I'm a strange type of introvert. I keep myself very much to myself, have few friends, etc. When I go to a place where people are socializing I tend to feel very out of place. I tend to be alone in such situations.

However, I'm also a performer. I have NO problem getting up in front of groups of people and doing stand-up, improv, teaching, acting, etc. My wife used to say that when we went to parties, she would see this switch thrown and I would go from the introvert who can't come out of his shell to the life of the party and the absolute center of attention in nothing flat.

When I'm in a performance situation, I'm fine. It's when I'm in a social situation that I have no control over the shy guy/center of attention thing. I can't just go into the party and be social. I have to drift around for a few hours before I'll find myself drawn into somebody's conversation. Then I can't shut up.

As I said, it's weird but I know it's not unusual, especially among performers. As I understand it, Johnny Carson was similarly introverted in social situations...

I'm a strange type of introvert. I keep myself very much to myself, have few friends, etc. When I go to a place where people are socializing I tend to feel very out of place. I tend to be alone in such situations.

However, I'm also a performer. I have NO problem getting up in front of groups of people and doing stand-up, improv, teaching, acting, etc. My wife used to say that when we went to parties, she would see this switch thrown and I would go from the introvert who can't come out of his shell to the life of the party and the absolute center of attention in nothing flat.

When I'm in a performance situation, I'm fine. It's when I'm in a social situation that I have no control over the shy guy/center of attention thing. I can't just go into the party and be social. I have to drift around for a few hours before I'll find myself drawn into somebody's conversation. Then I can't shut up.

As I said, it's weird but I know it's not unusual, especially among performers. As I understand it, Johnny Carson was similarly introverted in social situations...

I know what you mean, not exactly the same though as I don't perform and have no taste for it, but on some occasions I can turn into a clown and be quite gregarious. A few people who have witnessed me on my good moments, think I should be a stand-up. I've noticed it happens especially if I'm in a small group and I feel confortable among the people I'm surrounded with. But for whatever reason the switch can turn to off or on for a lot of reasons.

Edited by Van Basten II

I'm an introvert, but I play an extrovert on the internet...

Seriously, I'm about as quiet as they come until I get to know people. I don't enjoy parties at all. I hate crowds. However, like a lot of people who have depression issues, I become a total clown to deal with it. Since that's when I'm noticed, and I'm overlooked when I'm quiet, people tend to think I'm an extrovert.

This question/poll was asked on another forum I'm a member of, and I was very surprised by the response (which I won't reveal at this time for fear of spoiling this poll).

The website I referred to is mobileread.com. 85 of the 97 responders said "introvert".

I wonder if introverts are likely to spend more time on the web.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106515

Yes, here's the quote from Gifts Differing, p. 9.

"Under the theory presented here, personality is structured by four preferences concerning the use of perception and judgment.

Preference for EI (extraversion/introversion) affects a person's choice to focus the dominant (favorite) process on the outer world or on the world of ideas (italics mine -- Not really about being quiet or gregarious, but about the preferred direction of one's attention)

Preference for SN (sensation/intuition) affects a person's choice to use one kind of perception instead of the other when either could be used.

Preference for TF (thinking/feeling) affects a person's choice to use one kind of judgment instead of the other when either could be used.

Preference for JP (judgment/perception) affects a person's choice to use the judging or the perceptive attitude for dealing with the outer world."

Also, judging/perceptive may not be the clearest terms for this. It's really more like decisive and open-ended. Think of how many people said during the campaign that they admired Bush for sticking to his principles --- that was supposed to be a plus -- never mind what principles he was sticking to. And if Kerry was thoughtful and could change his mind, that was judged to be waffling and unbecoming a president. Let's not have a thoughtful one, let's have a decisive one, even if he's not thoughtful!

Edited by It Should be You