Keith Jarrett: "Always Let Me Go"?

CJ Shearn

As you're dipping your toe in the Jarrett ocean I may suggest getting Whisper Not ahead of the latest.Always Let Me Go is excellent but it does have its longeurs and there's nothing as stunning as "Riot" on it(why Eicher didn't put the full 20 minute plus version on Inside Out only he knows-I was there,it was spellbinding).

Incidentally read a rumour recently that there's a new one out in May,recorded in Italy last year and consisting mainly of standards(I thought they'd be doing the freer stuff pretty much exclusively of late!).

Guest Mnytime

You really can't go wrong with any of his Standard Trio's recordings. One I would highly recommend is his tribute to Miles "Bye Bye Blackbird". The At The Blue Note Box is excellent as well.

Their is also his solo improv recordings and his European Quartet. He has so many different styles of recordings to choose from.

His Standard's Trio might be one of the most recorded Trio's in Jazz history.

I was more than a little disappointed by "Always Let Me Go". The playing is fine but as Green Dolphin says there are some longeurs and I missed the strong melodic base. For me the beauty of the standards trio was just that, they played standards with affection and at just the right tempos. Although Jarrett's solos would often veer off from the original piece they were always logical.

The trio is playing here next month, it will be interesting to see how the concept comes over live. I was at one of the "Inside Out" concerts and that was pretty breathtaking stuff.

CJ, a bit more info on the new one I mentioned above-it's called "Up For It",recorded in Antibes(not Italy)and is supposedly a sort of "greatest hits" set,plus 3 "new" pieces-Scrapple From The Apple,MJQ's "Two Degrees East..." and Jarrett's title track.Sounds like it might be one for you to get as more of an introduction.It's out on May 3rd here in the UK.