Ellington Treasury Shows

Sundog

8 hours ago, xybert said:

Thanks for the heads up!

Regarding Vol. 24: i don't know, but it looks like there is going to be a Vol. 25 as well so ????

At the bottom of the 'description' section for Vol. 23 on the Storyville site:

"The whole Duke Ellington Treasury Shows series will be 25 double CDs. We’re approaching the end with this release, which is number 23, and the rest is on its way! The Treasury Shows form an indispensable addition to the history of Duke Ellington and jazz big bands in the 1940s."

Could be a typo. Could have material not really Treasury shows. 

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you select "Read More" on that page it shows this piano material is stockpile material not released before (includes two vocalists.) And the quartet material is with Wild Bill Davis, Leonard Gaskin and Rufus Jones from the Rainbow Grill in '69.

Text from the Storyville page:

Previously unreleased music from the fingertips of Duke Ellington: An intimate 1972 session with the Duke on solo piano plus three bonus tracks from 1969.

The scene is 311 West 57 Street, New York, Mediasounds Studio A, Friday August 25th,1972. Duke Ellington was having an engagement with a smaller group at The Rainbow Grill, as he had had several times before, finishing the gig on the following night. But on the 25th, he chose also to go to the recording studio, just himself at the piano together with his two band singers Anita Moore and Tony Watkins, to record some pieces which were not played so often.

The recordings remained in his ”stockpile” until now, this being the first commercial issue of these beautiful pieces. The late Sjef Hoefsmit wrote about the session when he heard it back in 1994: ”It is difficult to understand why these magnificent recordings never have been issued”. Well, here they are at last – for all to enjoy!

Among the gems you'll find tracks such as two takes of the Billy Strayhorn composition “Lotus Blossom”, the Duke’s own “Le Sucrier Velours” and his emotional “My Mother, My Father and Love”. The latter was often performed with the Duke himself as a vocalist, reciting his own lyrics. No doubt the words meant a great deal to him, both personally and as part of his positive stories about the black communities in the USA.

The new CD contains three additional bonus tracks. On November 7th, 1969, Duke Ellington and his orchestra played two concerts in Rotterdam, in the famous De Doelen concert hall. The second concert of the evening was prolonged, as the public wouldn’t let Ellington go. So while the rest of the bandmembers left the stage, a quartet with Duke, Wild Bill Davis, bassist Victor Gaskin and drummer Rufus Jones stayed, and played four more numbers, much to the delight of the sold-out house. You can hear the whole band concert on the Storyville CD “Rotterdam 1969” (1018440), and here we offer the ”afterparty” music by the quartet.

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

If you select "Read More" on that page it shows this piano material is stockpile material not released before (includes two vocalists.) And the quartet material is with Wild Bill Davis, Leonard Gaskin and Rufus Jones from the Rainbow Grill in '69.

Text from the Storyville page:

Previously unreleased music from the fingertips of Duke Ellington: An intimate 1972 session with the Duke on solo piano plus three bonus tracks from 1969.

The scene is 311 West 57 Street, New York, Mediasounds Studio A, Friday August 25th,1972. Duke Ellington was having an engagement with a smaller group at The Rainbow Grill, as he had had several times before, finishing the gig on the following night. But on the 25th, he chose also to go to the recording studio, just himself at the piano together with his two band singers Anita Moore and Tony Watkins, to record some pieces which were not played so often.

The recordings remained in his ”stockpile” until now, this being the first commercial issue of these beautiful pieces. The late Sjef Hoefsmit wrote about the session when he heard it back in 1994: ”It is difficult to understand why these magnificent recordings never have been issued”. Well, here they are at last – for all to enjoy!

Among the gems you'll find tracks such as two takes of the Billy Strayhorn composition “Lotus Blossom”, the Duke’s own “Le Sucrier Velours” and his emotional “My Mother, My Father and Love”. The latter was often performed with the Duke himself as a vocalist, reciting his own lyrics. No doubt the words meant a great deal to him, both personally and as part of his positive stories about the black communities in the USA.

The new CD contains three additional bonus tracks. On November 7th, 1969, Duke Ellington and his orchestra played two concerts in Rotterdam, in the famous De Doelen concert hall. The second concert of the evening was prolonged, as the public wouldn’t let Ellington go. So while the rest of the bandmembers left the stage, a quartet with Duke, Wild Bill Davis, bassist Victor Gaskin and drummer Rufus Jones stayed, and played four more numbers, much to the delight of the sold-out house. You can hear the whole band concert on the Storyville CD “Rotterdam 1969” (1018440), and here we offer the ”afterparty” music by the quartet.

I first heard of the 1972 session when a friend of mine told me he had been present at an Ellington recording session .  His brother was the engineer, but neither of them could remember the date.   I  eventually  tracked it down and discovered that I had it on one of Sjef's Azure tapes.  I made copies for them but the sound wasn't very good.  They'll be happy to hear it's finally being released on cd. 

http://www.ellingtonia.com/discography/1951-1960.html

DUKE ELLINGTON AND HIS ORCHESTRA Chicago, IL 24 Jun 1953 
Broadcast, Blue Note 
Willie Cook, Cat Anderson, Clark Terry(t); Ray Nance(t,vl,v); Britt Woodman, Quentin Jackson,Juan Tizol(tb); Jimmy Hamilton(cl,ts); Russell 
Procope(cl,ss,as); Rick Henderson(as); Paul Gonsalves(ts); Harry Carney(cl,as,bar); Duke Ellington(p); Wendell Marshall(sb); Butch Ballard(d); Jimmy Grissom(v) 

53062401  Take The "A" Train (theme) DETS 47 
53062402  Harlem Air-Shaft DETS 47 
53062403  Creole Love Call DETS 47 
53062404  C-Jam Blues DETS 47 
53062405  Is It A Sin? - vJG DETS 47 
53062406  Just A-Sittin' And A-Rockin' - vRN DETS 47 
53062407  Moonlight Fiesta DETS 47 
53062408  The Hawk Talks DETS 47 
53062409  Satin Doll DETS 47 

DUKE ELLINGTON AND HIS ORCHESTRA Chicago, IL 01 Jul 1953 
Broadcast, Blue Note 
Willie Cook, Cat Anderson, Clark Terry(t); Ray Nance(t,vl,v); Britt Woodman, Quentin Jackson,Juan Tizol(tb); Jimmy Hamilton(cl,ts); Russell 
Procope(cl,ss,as); Rick Henderson(as); Paul Gonsalves(ts); Harry Carney(cl,as,bar); Duke Ellington(p); Wendell Marshall(sb); Butch Ballard(d); Jimmy Grissom(v) 

53070105  Take The "A" Train (theme) DETS 47 
53070106  Blue Jean Beguine DETS 47 
53070107  Boo-Dah DETS 47 
53070108  Cocktails For Two DETS 47 
53070109  Nothin', Nothin', Baby - vJG DETS 47 
53070110  Jump For Joy - vRN DETS 47 
53070111  Perdido DETS 47 
53070112  Blue Moon - vJG DETS 47 
53070113  Satin Doll DETS 47 

DUKE ELLINGTON AND HIS ORCHESTRA Chicago, IL Jun 1953 
Broadcast, Blue Note 

53061501  Take The "A" Train (theme) DETS 48 
53061502  Caravan DETS 48 
53061503  ¬ I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart DETS 48 
53061504  _| Don't Get Around Much Anymore - vRN DETS 48 
53061505  The Hawk Talks DETS 48 
53061506  Come On Home - vJG DETS 48 
53061507  Flamingo - vJG DETS 48 
53061508  Jump For Joy - vRN DETS 48 
53061509  Satin Doll DETS 48 
53061510  Take The "A" Train (theme) DETS 48 

Broadcast, Blue Note 

53061801  Take The "A" Train (theme) DETS 48 
53061802  THE TATTOOED BRIDE DETS 48 
53061803  Nothin' Nothin' Baby - vJG DETS 48 
53061804  Rock Skippin' At The Blue note DETS 48 
53061805  Just Squeeze Me - vRN DETS 48 
53061806  Ting-A-Ling DETS 48 
53061807  Satin Doll DETS 48 

Broadcast, Blue Note 

53062101  Take The "A" Train (theme) AFRS ASPB-21, DETS BONUS 
53062102  Boo-Dah AFRS ASPB-21, DETS BONUS 
53062103  What More Can I Say? - vJG AFRS ASPB-21, DETS BONUS 
53062104  Frustration AFRS ASPB-21, DETS BONUS 
53062105  Basin' Street Blues - vRN AFRS ASPB-21, DETS BONUS 
53062106  Duet AFRS ASPB-21, DETS BONUS 
53062107  Ballin' The Blues - vJG AFRS ASPB-21, DETS BONUS 
53062108  Satin Doll AFRS ASPB-21, DETS BONUS 

15 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Could be a typo. Could have material not really Treasury shows. 

True, true. If there is a Vol. 25, it could possibly be a 'best of' the Treasury Shows compilation or something.

8 hours ago, medjuck said:

I first heard of the 1972 session when a friend of mine told me he had been present at an Ellington recording session .  His brother was the engineer, but neither of them could remember the date.   I  eventually  tracked it down and discovered that I had it on one of Sjef's Azure tapes.  I made copies for them but the sound wasn't very good.  They'll be happy to hear it's finally being released on cd. 

Whoa, so you've heard solo music that will be on this? I can't imagine it being not worth hearing but... what's it like, is it good? Cheers.

4 hours ago, xybert said:

True, true. If there is a Vol. 25, it could possibly be a 'best of' the Treasury Shows compilation or something.

Whoa, so you've heard solo music that will be on this? I can't imagine it being not worth hearing but... what's it like, is it good? Cheers.

Yes it's good. I even like the vocals which are not to everybody's taste.  

I am looking forward to hearing more unissued or rare Duke Ellington.

I can't say that I've ever been a fan of Tony Watkins' vocals. I've read that Ellington abruptly ended a concert in Europe when the audience reacted negatively to Watkins. "One More Time (For the People)" is easily my least favorite Ellington composition.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2017 at 7:32 PM, medjuck said:

Just noticed that both cds, Treasury Show 23 and An Intimate Piano Session are announced on Amazon as available on March 17.  The Piano Session is on iTunes now.

...and DETS 23 is currently still listed at nearly $35 on Amazon USA, much higher than previous DETS releases.  I just pre-ordered from Amazon UK, and it came out to about $18 including shipping.

On 3/16/2017 at 5:24 PM, jazzbo said:

Oh I think we got the same or a bit lower price via jazz messengers, and we may get it as soon or sooner. . . we did alright. Wow, we're up this high in the volumes, I was wondering for a while if we would get there!

Me too, but they seem to be coming fast and furious now. I wouldn't be surprised if all 25 weren't out  by the end of the year!

gregmo

2 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Me too, but they seem to be coming fast and furious now. I wouldn't be surprised if all 25 weren't out  by the end of the year!

gregmo

It seems you made the right decision:  Amazon has still not sent out their expensive offerings and have yet to announce when they will.  (Maybe they'll take the opportunity to lower the prices-- he said optimistically and probably naively. ) 

• 2 weeks later...

OK I now have the 2 cds with a slight price reduction.  Vol 23 contains the last 3 actual Treasury shows (the last last one was very short--apparently most of it was pre-empted by a college football game).   Has anyone heard the shows from 1953 and have an opinion about them?  Also any idea of what else might be on the last two sets since the '53 shows aren't quite enough to fill 4 cds?   If vols 24&25 include earlier air shots I'd be tempted to get them.  Not sure the '53 material appeals that much.