Ellington Treasury Shows

Sundog

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

I've thought of spending a couple of days doing it for myself on my computer. 

Me too.  I have a set of four CD-Rs another Ellington fan sent to me years ago that is all Hurricane broadcasts (I think it was drawn from a bootleg LP set), but I have yet to sit down and determine how much of it also shows up on the various Treasury releases.  Once I sort that out, I may try to put everything that I have in chronological order on a series of discs.  I wouldn't be surprised if Storyville eventually pulls all of this material together, though, into a "Duke Live 3" box or some such. 

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

It's already listed as upcoming on amazon: Treasury Shows vol. 25

gregmo

Wow I might get this before I get the Mosaic Savory set. 

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Me too.  I have a set of four CD-Rs another Ellington fan sent to me years ago that is all Hurricane broadcasts (I think it was drawn from a bootleg LP set), but I have yet to sit down and determine how much of it also shows up on the various Treasury releases.  Once I sort that out, I may try to put everything that I have in chronological order on a series of discs.  I wouldn't be surprised if Storyville eventually pulls all of this material together, though, into a "Duke Live 3" box or some such. 

71_WXy_U8_m_BL._SL1073.jpg   Do you have this one?   

4 hours ago, gmonahan said:

It's already listed as upcoming on amazon: Treasury Shows vol. 25

gregmo

Wow indeed! I just pre-ordered it, bundling it with the new Michael Chabon book that’s coming out around the same time in order to get free shipping. Medjuck, yes, I do have that single Storyville official release.

Edited by ghost of miles

I followed the Storyville page and added it to the basket and ended up in a music store I think in Germany, "musicroom" -- perhaps it was in Sweden. It was not as cheap as the amazon.com price but is here now not later. . . . I was eager to have the final volume, I have all 25. There was a time that I thought Storyville might not continue this series, glad I was wrong.

Edited by jazzbo

On 5/1/2018 at 2:07 AM, medjuck said:

I'm happy to see that   cd 2 of this volume is from 1944 at the Hurricane rather than 1953 at the Blue Note.  Makes me more excited to get it. 

But wait—there’s more! ☺️ The second half of disc 1 is a complete “Pastel Period” Sunday-evening broadcast from the Hurricane in June 1943. And disc 2 includes a Betty-Roche-with-DKE vocal that I’ve never heard before, “‘At’s’ In There” (a song she had recorded with the Savoy Sultans two years prior). My copy just arrived in the mail (along with the new Michael Chabon book POPS) and I’m digging into it right now. 

15 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Just double-checked, and some of the June 6, 1943 Pastel Period broadcast was previously issued on Storyville’s DKE Hurricane CD. DETS 25 includes the whole broadcast. 

Confessing time : I don't have any releases from this series .... so my question is - to have a memorable first impression which single volume you knowledgeable guys would pick/suggest.... ?

The problem is: early volumes are CD-Rs by now (and obviously/crookedly not sold as such) by now ... else I'd have them all, but as it is, that's depressing, I didn't have the funds or enough interest in Ducal sounds whe the series started ... I think I'm up to Vol. 22 with the recent ones and will definitely get the following volunes but am not yet sure what to do about the missing earlier ones ...

--

Duke Box 3 though, I'd be all for it if there is still enough material around! 

23 minutes ago, king ubu said:

The problem is: early volumes are CD-Rs by now (and obviously/crookedly not sold as such) by now ... else I'd have them all, but as it is, that's depressing ....

Thnx for the hint .... as a rule I definitely don't buy CD-R's ....

29 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Thnx for the hint .... as a rule I definitely don't buy CD-R's ....

Anyone know what volumes in the series have been seen as CDrs? I had wanted to get a few more in the series but have interest in CDrs. 

12 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Anyone know what volumes in the series have been seen as CDrs? I had wanted to get a few more in the series but have interest in CDrs. 

I'd like to know that too! The one digit volumes most likely ... but I wonder where the "switch" is these days.

• 1 month later...

Ordering the missing ones now ... they will arrive within the next days/weeks. Vol. 6 got here today - CD-R. I still want the music and will make sure to back-up all the CD-R ones, just in case.

Sucks bigtime that exactly those labels that would deserve support lie to those still willing to pay good money for their stuff and sell CD-Rs as CDs. I really hate it, but in this case I just want to have all the music, so in the end the :tup will outweigh the :tdown I guess.

I have the complete series, no CD-Rs.  I'm not defending Storyville (or the CD-R format), but could it be a way of keeping the material in stock, actually pleasing customers?  These are two-disc sets, and that would likely mean having to make 1000 (500 + 500) new discs for what may very well be a saturated market.

In my experience, since printing booklets is just about the priciest part of manufacture, and it's almost the same price to print 1500 as 1000, so you do, but make 1000 CDs.  If there's a demand, it's best to just repress the disc.  So, maybe the CD-Rs turning up now are just re-filling the left over booklets...

Besides, the first volume was issued in 2000 (the debated Vol. 6 in 2002, 16 years ago)  so perhaps your should have bought it then.  Kudos to Storyville for doing it in the first place, and double kudos for finishing it.  How many small niche companies would go as far as they have done? 

On 5/20/2018 at 1:21 PM, Captain Howdy said:

What ghastly artwork. And they couldn't even get their own URL right on the back cover: www.storyville-records.com is a dead-end. 

Same artwork for the whole series, perhaps you don't like the colour?  For the most part, I'm here for the music, so cover art (especially on CDs) is of less interest to me.

2 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

I have the complete series, no CD-Rs.  I'm not defending Storyville (or the CD-R format), but could it be a way of keeping the material in stock, actually pleasing customers?  These are two-disc sets, and that would likely mean having to make 1000 (500 + 500) new discs for what may very well be a saturated market.

In my experience, since printing booklets is just about the priciest part of manufacture, and it's almost the same price to print 1500 as 1000, so you do, but make 1000 CDs.  If there's a demand, it's best to just repress the disc.  So, maybe the CD-Rs turning up now are just re-filling the left over booklets...

Besides, the first volume was issued in 2000 (the debated Vol. 6 in 2002, 16 years ago)  so perhaps your should have bought it then.  Kudos to Storyville for doing it in the first place, and double kudos for finishing it.  How many small niche companies would go as far as they have done? 

Same artwork for the whole series, perhaps you don't like the colour?  For the most part, I'm here for the music, so cover art (especially on CDs) is of less interest to me.

FWIW, my pressing plant will do reruns of 300 discs. I always "overprint" so it is relatively inexpensive to get something back in stock.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

FWIW, my pressing plant will do reruns of 300 discs. I always "overprint" so it is relatively inexpensive to get something back in stock.

That's a good deal Chuck...  Still, for any of the Treasury sets that's 600 discs.  And I wonder if it would be any different in the EU (soon to be a member short, I hear.)

And, I wonder what the situation is about paying composer royalties.  In Canada, if you press 1000 copies you prepay on them all.  Sell 237, tough:  George Gershwin got paid for 763 extras.  Same in the US?  I think in the EU that's paid on copies sold, not on copies manufactured.

Well, I know about manufacturing and storage cots and all that ... what I don't agree with is that everybody (amazon, JPC, whomever) keeps selling these as "Audio CDs", which they are not.

The only people caring about this is the one still buying a physical product, and it's those they're giving the finger with this practice. That's what bothers me.

And of course initially they were all proper CDs - but the series started at a t ime when I had neither the budget nor any intention of buying so much Duke Ellington. That, luckily, has changed ... born too late, got smart too late, whatever, but I don't like being looked at as the stoopid consumer that will not notice the difference.

41 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Well, I know about manufacturing and storage cots and all that ... what I don't agree with is that everybody (amazon, JPC, whomever) keeps selling these as "Audio CDs", which they are not.

The only people caring about this is the one still buying a physical product, and it's those they're giving the finger with this practice. That's what bothers me.

And of course initially they were all proper CDs - but the series started at a t ime when I had neither the budget nor any intention of buying so much Duke Ellington. That, luckily, has changed ... born too late, got smart too late, whatever, but I don't like being looked at as the stoopid consumer that will not notice the difference.

i'd agree that it is very poor practice to sell CDRs without clearly saying that's what is for sale. I've a small number of CDR purchases most dating back to the early 2000s. None of them still play ok. 

On 5/20/2018 at 7:51 AM, king ubu said:

The problem is: early volumes are CD-Rs by now (and obviously/crookedly not sold as such) by now ... else I'd have them all, but as it is, that's depressing, I didn't have the funds or enough interest in Ducal sounds whe the series started ... I think I'm up to Vol. 22 with the recent ones and will definitely get the following volunes but am not yet sure what to do about the missing earlier ones ...

Watch out for importCDs, as they've sold CDrs as CDs a few times. I think this happened through their Amazon page rather than their own website. That is false advertising.

Watch out for importCDs, as there are times they don't label their CDrs as such. I can't remember if it happens on their Amazon page or 

1 minute ago, Ken Dryden said:

Watch out for importCDs, as there are times they don't label their CDrs as such. I can't remember if it happens on their Amazon page or 

I stopped buying "new" CDs of older releases from such vendors alltogether, because of that (stuff like OJCCDs - will be CDRs most likely).

I just wish labels selling CDRs for lack of means to re-press CDs would openly communicate that. In one case I even reached out to a label (a small one run by a classical music ensemble) and they flat-out denied that they're selling CDRs. That was about the weirdest thing. Others (Chiaroscuro, VAI) will openly discuss/admit/explain - but the usual vendors will still label their stuff as "audio CD", and obviously no one seems to care.