Ellington Treasury Shows

Sundog

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/8/2017 at 10:49 AM, jazzbo said:

Darn. My Jazz Messengers package was for some reason returned (local mail is weird here) and so I don't have this one yet. But glad to hear the sound is even better!

Well, *that's* a drag! Hope it comes soon! I'm listening to the Ellington "An Intimate Piano Session" cd right now. Very nice.

• 2 months later...

Gang:

How many LPs were in the Treasury Shows series as originally released on D.E.T.S. in the plain white sleeves? And does anyone know when these LPs were released?

I just acquired nearly the whole series at a fantastic price. A few gaps in the set that I'll have to fill in, but not that many ...

1 hour ago, Mark Stryker said:

Thanks guys. Yeah, I noticed the price on the Ebay set -- excellent value, especially considering the remarkably quality of the music. Anyone who doesn't have this music should jump at that price.

When accessed from here, the listing quotes an INTERNATIONAL shipping price of some $108. This would work out at just over $4 per LP to buyers from here and would even be tempting at that price per item (even if you'd have to allow for customs duty on top of that total - 20% or so). But I am VERY wary of that shipping figure being correct for a bunch of FORTY-NINE LPs.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 4 months later...

I see that Volume 24 of the Duke Ellington Treasury Series is now available, but so far only from Storyville.

Volume 24 has 42 tracks including bond promos. Most of the music comes from the Blue Note in Chicago in the summer of 1953. There is also bonus material from the Hurricane in New York City from April of 1944.

2 hours ago, Don Brown said:

I see that Volume 24 of the Duke Ellington Treasury Series is now available, but so far only from Storyville.

Volume 24 has 42 tracks including bond promos. Most of the music comes from the Blue Note in Chicago in the summer of 1953. There is also bonus material from the Hurricane in New York City from April of 1944.

Thanks for the heads-up, Don!  Can never get enough mid-1940s bonus material from the Hurricane.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
8 hours ago, medjuck said:

I'm happy to see that   cd 2 of this volume is from 1944 at the Hurricane rather than 1953 at the Blue Note.  Makes me more excited to get it. 

Yes, me too! I still hope that some day we’ll see a nicely-done box-set of all of the 1943-44 Hurricane material pulled together.

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

Yes, me too! I still hope that some day we’ll see a nicely-done box-set of all of the 1943-44 Hurricane material pulled together.

I've thought of spending a couple of days doing it for myself on my computer.