Sundog

Ellington Treasury Shows

293 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

I've thought of spending a couple of days doing it for myself on my computer. 

Me too.  I have a set of four CD-Rs another Ellington fan sent to me years ago that is all Hurricane broadcasts (I think it was drawn from a bootleg LP set), but I have yet to sit down and determine how much of it also shows up on the various Treasury releases.  Once I sort that out, I may try to put everything that I have in chronological order on a series of discs.  I wouldn't be surprised if Storyville eventually pulls all of this material together, though, into a "Duke Live 3" box or some such. 

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

It's already listed as upcoming on amazon: Treasury Shows vol. 25

gregmo

Wow I might get this before I get the Mosaic Savory set. 

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Me too.  I have a set of four CD-Rs another Ellington fan sent to me years ago that is all Hurricane broadcasts (I think it was drawn from a bootleg LP set), but I have yet to sit down and determine how much of it also shows up on the various Treasury releases.  Once I sort that out, I may try to put everything that I have in chronological order on a series of discs.  I wouldn't be surprised if Storyville eventually pulls all of this material together, though, into a "Duke Live 3" box or some such. 

71_WXy_U8_m_BL._SL1073.jpg   Do you have this one?   

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, gmonahan said:

It's already listed as upcoming on amazon: Treasury Shows vol. 25

gregmo

Wow indeed! I just pre-ordered it, bundling it with the new Michael Chabon book that’s coming out around the same time in order to get free shipping. Medjuck, yes, I do have that single Storyville official release.

Edited by ghost of miles

I got Vol. 25 in the mail today from Germany and am spinning disc 1. Does it surprise anyone that it sounds great?

Who do you deal with in Germany, Lon? I've been getting my Treasury sets from Amazon.co.uk but, for some reason, they've listed Volume 25 at an outrageous price.

Posted (edited)

I followed the Storyville page and added it to the basket and ended up in a music store I think in Germany, "musicroom" -- perhaps it was in Sweden. It was not as cheap as the amazon.com price but is here now not later. . . . I was eager to have the final volume, I have all 25. There was a time that I thought Storyville might not continue this series, glad I was wrong.

Edited by jazzbo

I've been spinning a few of this series after a marked hiatus. Marvellous music. I have around half the series. No particular rhyme or reason to the volumes that i have acquired. They all sound great. I'm tempted to add a few more.

On 5/1/2018 at 2:07 AM, medjuck said:

I'm happy to see that   cd 2 of this volume is from 1944 at the Hurricane rather than 1953 at the Blue Note.  Makes me more excited to get it. 

But wait—there’s more! ☺️ The second half of disc 1 is a complete “Pastel Period” Sunday-evening broadcast from the Hurricane in June 1943. And disc 2 includes a Betty-Roche-with-DKE vocal that I’ve never heard before, “‘At’s’ In There” (a song she had recorded with the Savoy Sultans two years prior). My copy just arrived in the mail (along with the new Michael Chabon book POPS) and I’m digging into it right now. 

Just double-checked, and some of the June 6, 1943 Pastel Period broadcast was previously issued on Storyville’s DKE Hurricane CD. DETS 25 includes the whole broadcast. 

15 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Just double-checked, and some of the June 6, 1943 Pastel Period broadcast was previously issued on Storyville’s DKE Hurricane CD. DETS 25 includes the whole broadcast. 

Confessing time : I don't have any releases from this series .... so my question is - to have a memorable first impression which single volume you knowledgeable guys would pick/suggest.... ?

The problem is: early volumes are CD-Rs by now (and obviously/crookedly not sold as such) by now ... else I'd have them all, but as it is, that's depressing, I didn't have the funds or enough interest in Ducal sounds whe the series started ... I think I'm up to Vol. 22 with the recent ones and will definitely get the following volunes but am not yet sure what to do about the missing earlier ones ...

--

Duke Box 3 though, I'd be all for it if there is still enough material around! 

23 minutes ago, king ubu said:

The problem is: early volumes are CD-Rs by now (and obviously/crookedly not sold as such) by now ... else I'd have them all, but as it is, that's depressing ....

Thnx for the hint .... as a rule I definitely don't buy CD-R's ....

29 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Thnx for the hint .... as a rule I definitely don't buy CD-R's ....

Anyone know what volumes in the series have been seen as CDrs? I had wanted to get a few more in the series but have interest in CDrs. 

Hmmm. . . I don't know, I haven't encountered any cdrs myself, but i've bought each volume as they were released. I think a query to "The Music Room" might get answers. . . they are the direct store of Storyvlle themselves it seems.

https://www.musicroom.com/

12 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Anyone know what volumes in the series have been seen as CDrs? I had wanted to get a few more in the series but have interest in CDrs. 

I'd like to know that too! The one digit volumes most likely ... but I wonder where the "switch" is these days.