Ellington Treasury Shows

Sundog

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Jeep is Jumping" . . . is that a referrence to the Army vehicles or not?

Announcer on Volume 11 seemed to be saying it IS.

Err.. Johnny Hodges=Jeep.

Not sure if your were kidding or not!

. . . and of course, also Rabbit. Interestingly, I was listening to the Ella Fitzgerald Song Books the other day (as Lon knows), and in the midst of directions he gives on a rehearsal track in the Ellington Song Book, I'm pretty sure Duke calls Hodges "Rabbit." B-)

Which ties into another question here about songs written about the war effort, that's the context.  Thanks.

Well, FWIW, Hodges was known as Jeep--and "The Jeep is Jumpin'" was written-- before the war. E.g., "Jeep's Blues" and "The Jeep is Jumpin'" were both recorded by "Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra" (an Ellington small group) in 1938.

"Jeep", the nickname given to Johnny Hodges - probably by his bandmates - was most definitely taken from the character in Elzie Segar's comic strip. (Actually, the strip's correct name was "Thimble Theater", but most people referred to it as "Popeye" since Popeye the sailor man was eventually to become its principal character.) Most newspaper readers at the time were totally addicted to "Thimble Theater" (aka "Popeye") and the members of the Ellington band were certainly among the fans. Billy Strayhorn also got his nickname from Segar's strip. Swee-Pea was an infant Popeye adopted, and the Ellingtonians thought the diminutive Billy Strayhorn looked like Popeye's new ward, hence, forever after, he was known as Swee-Pea.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Any pointers as where to start with this series. Vol 6 is mentioned above. Although I love EKE I can't see me buying all of these. I guess I'd look to those with fewer vocal numbers and more unusual or rarely covered material. Any thoughts

I bought the entire series a month ago (except #5, which I have yet to track down), didn't know they even existed until this Forum informed me.

They are all quite terrific, the standout for me thus far is #9, with some songs I particularly have always loved, and some great performances.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just received an email from Storyville announcing the release of vol. 13 of the DETS series:

Duke Ellington: The Treasury Shows Vol. 13

This is volume 13 of Duke Ellington "The Treasury Shows". Jerry Valburn is the Producer of the DETS series which will result in 24 double CDs at its completion.

The series was launched on April 7th, 1945 while the band was performing at the 400 Restaurant in New York City. These wonderful broadcasts ran through November 1945 and picked up again in April 1946 through early October.

Included are also some interesting broadcasts from 1943 through 1954 where Duke performed for the Treasury Department, radio remotes from New York’s New Zanzibar & Birdland and thos broadcast from Meadowbrook Gardens in Culver City, California and the Blue Note in Chicago.

http://www.storyvillerecords.com/default.a...mp;state_2837=2

Someone reported in the duke-lym list that the track listings for CD 1, on the jewel box rear insert and the booklet, do not agree and both are

wrong. Proposed correct listing is as follows:

1. Someone

2. Riff Staccato

3. Homesick, That's All

4. Kissing Bug

5. Take The "A" Train (theme)

6 Take The "A" Train (theme)

7. Time's A-Wastin' (Things Ain't What They Used To Be)

8. DE Bond Promo

9. Three Cent Stomp

10. There's No You

11. Fancy Dan

12. Everything But You

13. Fickle Fling

14. DE Bond Promo

15. Blue Serge (into close)

16. Take The "A" Train (theme)

17. Stompy Jones

18. Walkin' With My Honey

19. Lilly Belle

20. Everything But You

21. In A Mellotone

22. Solid Old Man

Storyville will replace the incorrect liner notes and insert, if you contact them.

Regards,

Agustín