Ellington Treasury Shows

Sundog

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The liner notes point out that these 2 broadcasts were longer than usual-- 70 minutes. (Because of it being football season and stations joining late-- not that I really understand.) However each cd is just over 63 minutes

long. What's up with that? The broadcasts are usually 55 minutes long at that's about what they come out at on the other releases.

BTW From listening, I'm under the impression that the Date with the Duke broadcasts weren't sponsored by the Treasury department until the 4th show.

Joe, I've listened only to disc 1 so far, but I thought it read 73 minutes when I put it into the player...will have to doublecheck tonight. Several standout moments on disc 1 for rarely-performed American songbook numbers--"How Deep Is the Ocean" and "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea," plus Duke's own "Ridin' On a Blue Note."

You're right. I took the timing from the back of the cd package. It's obviously wrong.

I just listened to the first concert while driving back from LA. It's great!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Volume 15 is coming... soon. Just a bit more patience...

Thanks for the update. I just looked at that DEMS link again and was happy to see that they're including 8 tracks from the 1943 Hurricane broadcasts. I have a tree of much of the '43 Hurricane material but would love to see an official release of all of it at some point.

Thanks for the update. I just looked at that DEMS link again and was happy to see that they're including 8 tracks from the 1943 Hurricane broadcasts. I have a tree of much of the '43 Hurricane material but would love to see an official release of all of it at some point.

There is a Storyville release (I guess that's official) of 3 Hurricane broadcasts from '43 including one "Pastel Period" broadcast. "At the Hurricane" Storyville 101 8359.

There is a Storyville release (I guess that's official) of 3 Hurricane broadcasts from '43 including one "Pastel Period" broadcast. "At the Hurricane" Storyville 101 8359.

... and it's also (I assume) the same material from the Hurricane, that can be found on the "Duke Box"?

... and it's also (I assume) the same material from the Hurricane, that can be found on the "Duke Box"?

Don't have the 'Duke Box' but presume the music there is the same that was used in the Storyville CD

1018359.jpg

That CD had broadcasts from April 3 and 4, June 6, 1943!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that's the "official" one that I have--I think there's some overlap with the tree I have as well. Not sure how much more is out there, but I really would love to see a multiple-disc box of those '43 Hurricane broadcasts.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...