Ellington Treasury Shows

Sundog

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The material on Fairmont was just a subset of material later issued by Jerry Valburn on his D.E.T.S. label in what was a subscription only series of 48 LPs plus a subsequent bonus album.

Some of the CDs have been adding material from other concerts or broadcasts that were not part of the Treasury Series broadcasts.

Is this the material that was released on LP in the '70s from acetates that Mel Torme had recorded or collected?

It's the same material, released on Fairmont records. At least eight LPs came out, with liner notes by Torme.

The material on Fairmont was just a subset of material later issued by Jerry Valburn on his D.E.T.S. label in what was a subscription only series of 48 LPs plus a subsequent bonus album.

Some of the CDs have been adding material from other concerts or broadcasts that were not part of the Treasury Series broadcasts.

Is this the material that was released on LP in the '70s from acetates that Mel Torme had recorded or collected?

It's the same material, released on Fairmont records. At least eight LPs came out, with liner notes by Torme.

Indeed!

I treasure these Valburn LPs. Managed to get the complete series and now acquire the CDs (they all have additional material) as they come out. Still amazed at the quality and variety of material included!

I also managed to obtain the LPs many years ago, all at once. They really are a treasure (no pun intended).

I aired them (one show each week) for the better part of a year to a somewhat mixed reaction. Some listeners grew tired of some of the often repeated vocal features.

I've resisted the urge to get the cds so far.

Most of the sets are available on Spotify. A few gaps though, like Vol. 4.

I had a couple of the LPs. I remember one with Perfume Suite. But were the war bonds promo announcements included on those LPs? I don't remember them.

Edited by Pete C

Yes, the war bonds promos were included. My recollection is that the broadcasts were complete on the DETS issues. That was not the case for the issues on Fairmont.

Most of the sets are available on Spotify. A few gaps though, like Vol. 4.

I had a couple of the LPs. I remember one with Perfume Suite. But were the war bonds promo announcements included on those LPs? I don't remember them.

• 3 weeks later...

Some more nice representation of the 1943 band on this one as part of the extra material... much of disc 2 is devoted to Radio City and Hurricane Restaurant broadcasts from May and September of that year respectively.

Yes, and I think the two Treasury Shows are amongst the best.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...