Ellington Treasury Shows

Sundog

Very sorry about having to report this ... but DETS Vol. 4 I just bought (from jazzmessengers) turns out to be a CD-R. Wasn't aware Storyville (or whomever pirate) has joined that game now, too. This is the type of CD-R used in this case:

http://www.opti-pack.co.uk/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/17/products_id/66

the number (ATW700T-2/0.4) can be clearly read in the inner circle, and the entire thing felt a bit odd and looked less shiny than it ought to ... so yeah, indeed :(

Edited by king ubu

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, king ubu said:

Very sorry about having to report this ... but DETS Vol. 4 I just bought (from jazzmessengers) turns out to be a CD-R. Wasn't aware Storyville (or whomever pirate) has joined that game now, too. This is the type of CD-R used in this case:

http://www.opti-pack.co.uk/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/17/products_id/66

the number (ATW700T-2/0.4) can be clearly read in the inner circle, and the entire thing felt a bit odd and looked less shiny than it ought to ... so yeah, indeed :(

That sucks. I've been wanting to get some of the older volumes but noticed that some were showing up on Amazon US as CD-R on demand. Or at least they were; when i had a quick look now i didn't find any listed however if the cover image has that blue and black frame (example) i'm sure that indicates CD-R on demand (i've only ever seen that type of frame on CD-R on demand product listings). So i've just been sticking to the newer volumes as they come out and getting some of the more recent ones. 

CD-Rs, eh? I recently spent a lot of time listening to McCoy Tyner and wanted to expand my collection of his Milestone albums. Ultimately didn't pull the trigger due to the uncertainty about OJC CD-Rs. Hopefully i'll find some second hand in the wild.

Those OJC CD-Rs seem to be a US phenomenon though? We only seem to get them via those crooked US re-sellers on amazon that always fail to properly declare stuff and then fail to partly re-imburse or to even react to complaints ... bottom line: I don't buy any Fantasy CDs without being able to look at them first (in Europe, they're Universal CDs, and so far I don't think I've run into any Universal CD-R).

But yeah, the blue frames ... those, we have them over here, too (via amazon itself), not always correctly declared either.

But Storyville joining in (be it that they manufacture CDRs themselves, be it that they allow others to re-sell their - OOP? - stuff in CD-R format) is quite a let-down. I have several of the DETS from around Vol. 10 and was planning to fill the gaps eventually. Not sure if that's worth it now.

Will also need to investigate the stray other volume I have from among the earlier ones (I think Vols. 1 and 2 only, but I keep forgetting such things, which is why I usually have my list updated and on my smartphone, just in case :)).

Regarding OJC CD-Rs, definitely not just US re-sellers/Amazon marketplace in my experience. I've definitely received them straight from Amazon where there was no mention of CD-R. With OJCs i don't know if there's a way to tell whether it's going to be a CD-R based on whether it's Fantasy or Universal or from the States or Europe but for me it's a crap-shoot at the moment. I have my own methods of making an educated guess which others may poo-poo but it seems to steer me right. If i can see that an OJC hasn't been reissued since '91 and i could swear that i've seen it 'out of print' on Amazon (or whatever words to the effect they use) and miraculously it's back in stock and still showing the '91 release date i tend to be wary. Took a chance on a new copy of Afro Eurasian Eclipse recently and got a CD-R (edit to add: this was new direct from Amazon Japan). I knew that was a risky one but rolled the dice and lost (luckily i already have a second hand copy, but it's not in the best shape).

Regarding Storyville, i know there's a precedent in that the Fargo set was previously available (and still is) as a CD-R on demand from Amazon (not sure of the technicalities of whether Storyville are 'responsible' for that though). I avoided getting it elsewhere for fear of getting a CD-R but was delighted when it got reissued in legit CD form in 2013.

Bringing it all back to DETS, i freakin love these releases. It would have been cool to have been on board from Volume 1 as it came out and just enjoy them in real time as the subsequent volumes trickled out over the years. My plan was/is to pick up the back catalogue here and there over the coming years but the CD-R thing, while not the end of the world, is a bit of a fly in the ointment. 

Anyway, Cheers.

Edited by xybert

I love this series and am glad we are getting near the end, three more volumes after this one. I actually have the remaining material thanks to a generous board member or three, but I enjoy Storyville's presentation and the additional material that they include. I have bought each volume as they came out. Though there was a long pause after Storyville's founder's death, I am so glad this was continued and continues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

If this is all in regards to Vol. 21, y'all will love it.  I've had it for a month or so (got it in Copenhagen) and am delighted with the sound on the Treasury shows from '46 (with six trumpets!).  Poorer audio on the 6 tracks from 1942, but the music is great...

Agreed... I got it through an Amazon UK seller about a month ago and have listened to it several times... still not quite ready to file it away yet!

• 2 weeks later...

You're probably right. I was confusing the LP NUMBER (i.e. DETS 46) with the show number. But  I suspect  the Lps included the Roosevelt memorial that was on the first double cd and is not numbered as a Treasury show.   I still think that leaves room for one bonus cd. Or maybe the liner notes for Vol 21 are wrong when they say the broadcast of July 27th was number 42.  Ken Steiner doesn't give broadcast numbers that I noticed in his notes to vol 20 but vol 19 says the two broadcasts are numbers 36 and 37   though they   were recorded over 3 weeks.  As is often the case, I'm confused. 

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Wow, that was quick! Not complaining.

I waited a long time to get it from Amazon and ended up getting it somewhere else but still months after release. . . . I think I'll wait til it shows up with an amazon marketplace seller etc. We'll see.

That WAS quick! So, how many more volumes do you all think we can we hope for?

gregmo