Ellington Treasury Shows

Sundog

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The limited material with my copy of the bonus disc indicates the following:

4/14/45.  From the 400 Restaurant in NYC:

Moon Mist / New World a-Comin' / Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen / Mood Indigo / Dirge  Chant for FDR / Come Sunday / A City Called Heaven / Creole Love Call / Moon Mist

8/1/53.  From the Blue Note in Chicago:

Take the "A" Train / Boo-Dah / What More Can I Say? / Frustration / Basin Street Blues / Duet / Ballin' the Blues / Satin Doll

2 hours ago, jazztrain said:

The limited material with my copy of the bonus disc indicates the following:

4/14/45.  From the 400 Restaurant in NYC:

Moon Mist / New World a-Comin' / Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen / Mood Indigo / Dirge  Chant for FDR / Come Sunday / A City Called Heaven / Creole Love Call / Moon Mist

Take the "A" Train / Boo-Dah / What More Can I Say? / Frustration / Basin Street Blues / Duet / Ballin' the Blues / Satin Doll

I know I could go through all the DETS cds to check for myself, but does anyone know if either or both of these were reissued on the cds?

2 hours ago, jazztrain said:

DUKE ELLINGTON AND HIS ORCHESTRA Chicago, IL Jun 1953 
Broadcast, Blue Note 

53062101  Take The "A" Train (theme) AFRS ASPB-21, DETS BONUS 
53062102  Boo-Dah AFRS ASPB-21, DETS BONUS 
53062103  What More Can I Say? - vJG AFRS ASPB-21, DETS BONUS 
53062104  Frustration AFRS ASPB-21, DETS BONUS 
53062105  Basin' Street Blues - vRN AFRS ASPB-21, DETS BONUS 
53062106  Duet AFRS ASPB-21, DETS BONUS 
53062107  Ballin' The Blues - vJG AFRS ASPB-21, DETS BONUS 
53062108  Satin Doll AFRS ASPB-21, DETS BONUS 

4/14/45 fdr tribute is on vol. 1 of the cd series. i don't think that the Jun 1953 has been issued on the cd series yet.

4 hours ago, Don Brown said:

Actually, Lon, there were 49 albums issued on LP. Number 49 contained bonus material. If I was able to get at it right now I could tell you where that material came from. Perhaps in a day or two I can unearth it and let you know what's on it.

Thanks Don. I don't think I have the 49th, maybe I do. Perhaps they will put this out on the 25th release; 25 is a better starting point than 24 anyway.

I've found my LP copy of Volume 49, Lon. The music on Side A was recorded April 14, 1945 at the 400 Restaurant in NYC. Side B has music recorded at Franz Holzfiend's Blue Note in Chicago on August 1, 1953.

Not to worry. I just realized that the April 14th, 1945 material from the 400 Restaurant is the FDR Memorial broadcast which has been issued on the D.E.T.S. CDs as an extra (on Volume 1 I believe.)

Edited by Don Brown
An afterthought.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2016 at 8:22 AM, medjuck said:

cd announced for December 9 on Amazon. Same day Apple releases volume 2 of Savory Collection:  Live Prez with Basie.  Big day!

Well it never arrived.  But I just got an e-mail saying it would be shipped soon and should arrive between December 31 and January 3.   Maybe by that time they'll announce  volume 23. 

My copy of Vol. 22 arrived today. Have had a couple of weeks off work over the holiday season, have spent some great quality time with the family. After another busy day today, it's so nice to kick back with a beer and bask in this album. Back to work on Monday, it's going to be full on, will have to do some prep during the next few days. Life is good.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the heads up!

Regarding Vol. 24: i don't know, but it looks like there is going to be a Vol. 25 as well so ????

At the bottom of the 'description' section for Vol. 23 on the Storyville site:

"The whole Duke Ellington Treasury Shows series will be 25 double CDs. We’re approaching the end with this release, which is number 23, and the rest is on its way! The Treasury Shows form an indispensable addition to the history of Duke Ellington and jazz big bands in the 1940s."