What music did you get for Christmas...

vibes

Anyone get any music or anything music-related for Christmas? My wife and are spending Christmas with my parents in LA this year. We didn't want to take our gifts for each other with us, so we opened them last Friday. Mrs. vibes got me the 2004 Blue Note calendar and tickets to my choice of Herbie Hancock concerts in either Missouri or Indiana (I guess he'll be on tour in the spring). I like road trips and have never seen Herbie in concert, so I'm pretty excited about going to see him.

So, what did you get?

The most amazing wife in the whole world, who can't stand jazz to save her life, by asking the right questions discretely and pulling the wool over my eyes (again! It's not that hard, apparently!) surprised me this morning with Beauty is a Rare Thing, just the set I need at this point in my jazz listening. Damn, she amazes me! :wub:

I bought myself the Curtis Amy and Duke Pearson Selects. Does this count? If you purchase it for yourself?

Sure, why not? I bought myself those sets, along with the Mulligan set, a couple weeks ago. ;) You're in for a real treat. I've been having a lot of fun with these Selects.

The most amazing wife in the whole world, who can't stand jazz to save her life, by asking the right questions discretely and pulling the wool over my eyes (again! It's not that hard, apparently!) surprised me this morning with Beauty is a Rare Thing, just the set I need at this point in my jazz listening. Damn, she amazes me! :wub:

Funny, I asked for the same thing!!! Other things came up so I didn't get it, but I will probably buy it in the next few weeks anyway

Moose, wish you fun and lots of hours of pure listening pleasure with the fantastic Ornette set! Some of the most important and beautiful music ever recorded!

What I got:

Frank Zappa, Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar (from my sister, but obviously a wish I uttered...)

Swallow, Damaged in Transit (from my father, another no-surprise thing...)

and a very cool disc of solo works of Brian Ferneyhough.

ubu

From my wife:

CDs

RVG: Jackie McLean - Jackie's Bag

RVG: Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil

RVG: Hank Mobley - The Turnaround

RVG: Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers - At the Cafe Bohemia Vol 1

RVG: Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers - At the Cafe Bohemia Vol 2

RVG: Lee Morgan - The Rumproller

Jim Ferguson - Not Just Another Pretty Bass

BOOKS

Thinking In Jazz, The Infinite Art of Improvisation, Paul Berliner

Your Life As Art, Robert Fritz

The Tibetan Book Of The Dead

My son went out of his way to present me with one the item on my most wanted jazz list: the Tony Fruscella Brooklyn Jam 1952 that was issued last year by the Japanese label Marshmallow.

He could not find this CD when he travelled to Japan last month. I had given him a short want jazz CD list and he found everything with good advice from Organissimo member JohnS. The only missing item was the one I was most curious about: the Tony Fruscella CD.

My son had one of the Tokyo records store locate a copy which arrived after he flew back home. He had a friend of his who resides in Tokyo pick up the album and ship it right on time. This made a wonderful Christmas present.

I actually *didn't* ask for a lot of music this year (although I did get some money, a certain amount of which will be spent on music...) but I did get the "One Night With Blue Note" DVD from my wife (my birthday is the day after tomorrow, and I know I'm getting "The Complete Jack Johnson" box set, but I haven't got it yet, worse luck). A friend of mine gave me "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" by Paul Simon (my parents had it when I was a kid, so I've always liked it).

CDs I gave myself for Festivus:

Fier, Anton - Dream Speed/Blind Light

Hill, Andrew - Passing Ships

Holdsworth, Allan - FlatTire Music

Holdsworth, Allan - Then!

Holland, Dave - Extended Play, Live at Birdland

Holland, Dave And Barre Phillips - Music For Two Basses

Kimbrough, Junior - Do The Rump!

Metheny, Pat - One Quiet Night

Morris, Joe - Antennae

Pandit Pran Nath - Midnight

Redman, Dewey w/Cecil Taylor & Elvin Jones - Momentum Space