Holiday music on non-holiday albums

colllin

It seems fairly common for a holiday song to get issued on a non-holiday jazz album. I especially like Santa Claus is Comin' to Town on Bill Evan's Trio 64. When you expand the search to include Greensleeves and My Favorite Things, the list gets very long. Which songs along these lines do you recommend? Thank you in advance.

653.jpeg

Far from a Xmas CD. But it ends with an utterly exquisite version of 'In the Bleak Midwinter', my favourite Xmas tune.

There's also that Charlie Parker 'White Christmas' from the Royal Roost in '48. No doubt out in many different forms.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Two that many will be familiar with :

Chet Baker - Winter Wonderland (from the LP Pretty/Groovy on World Pacific)

Paul Bley - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (from the LP Introducing Paul Bley on Debut)

And one that few will be familiar with :

Patty McGovern - I Like Snow (from the LP Wednesday's Child on Atlantic)

• 2 years later...

Just going through my collection looking for Christmas music on non-seasonal CDs and I've found The Christmas Song on both That's All by Mel Torme and Lover Man by Carmen McRae. The Torme also includes a Christmas song called One Little Snowflake.

PS There are Christmas songs on some Mosaic sets.

Condon Mob has Dixieland Band From Santa Claus Land and Prima/Manone has What will Santa Claus Say When he Finds Everybody Swinging. Of course there's the whole album Merry Old Soul on the Duke Pearson select.

Sonny Rollins does Winter Wonderland on The Standard Sonny Rollins. It's on the complete RCA box of course.

Nat King Cole did a remake of The Christmas Song on The Nat King Cole Story and Sammy Davis Jr did a version for his Torme tribute California Suite (reused on his Cole tribute The Nat King Cole Songbook).

BTW did Torme make a fortune from The Christmas Song? It seems to be the most recorded modern seasonal song after White Christmas.

Pharoah Sanders' Theresa album 'A prayer before dawn' includes 'The Christmas song'. A lovely version, too.

Hank Crawford's 'South-Central' includes 'O holy night', a track left over from his previous album with Gloria Coleperson on organ.

'Dr John plays Mac Rebennack' includes 'Silent night'.

MG

The Eddie Cantor set The Columbia Years 1922-1940 (this one) has a lovely obscurity, The Only Thing I Want For Christmas (Is Just To Keep The Things That I've Got). Don't be put off by the title!

Bing Crosby does When A Child Is Born on Beautiful Memories and Sleigh Ride on Seasons, both latterday albums in his career.

Back in the olden days when Uptown records was operated by 2 guys they frequently recorded a Christmas tune at the end of a session for future release. The 2 guys divorced and formed Uptown and Reservoir as individual operations and they split the unissued masters. Bob Sunenblick's Uptown issued a Christmas cd and Mark Feldman put a holiday treat (Sleigh Ride) on Ralph Moore's Round Trip.

Edited by Chuck Nessa