The Jazz Version of....

jeffcrom

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Eddie Costa is a gem -- for Eddie on vibes and also because it's some of the best first-period Bill Evans. The rhythm section is half that of "New Jazz Conceptions," with Motian but with Wendell Marshall instead of Teddy Kotick.

Paul Horn did one on Cleopatra didn't he? I have it at home but I'm having a TIA and I can't remember if it's Cleopatra or another version of Lawrence of Arabia. :crazy:

Impressions of Cleopatra (Columbia, 1963). Paul Gonzalves also did the score in the same year for Impulse, released as a bonus on the CD version of Tell It the Way It Is.

Because it's an opera doesn't mean 'Porgy' gets classified as 'Classical'. (Neither does 'Tommy'.)

At this point, a Dictionary of Music's definition of 'opera' might settle Sangrey's curiosity.

Let me just say 'Porgy' has routinely been listed in record guides under 'Musicals'.

The Osborne 'Guide to Movie/TV Soundtracks and Original Cast Albums' (1997) lists more than 65 separate recordings of 'Porgy' in 10-inch and LP formats.

How about some television music? Mundell Lowe & His TV Action Jazz All-Stars!

I picked this one up for a dollar a few years back, thinking it was going to be total camp. But it's actually very good - Donald Byrd, Eddie Costa, and Jimmy Cleveland are among the All-Stars.

If you like those two TV-themes albums, you'll probably enjoy the soundtrack to Satan in High Heels, originally on Charlie Parker Records, it came out with two titles (Blues for a Stripper is the other) and two different covers. On CD you have it by Collectables and Fresh Sound, possibly others too. The title track is quite catchy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbWE4O3cBCs) The album can be heard on Spotify

Regarding Porgy & Bess, I looked into it a bit for an article on 1959. There were two previous jazz versions (the Bethlehem all-stars, and the Satchmo-Ella), but it seems that the MGM film (a flop despite André Previn's Oscar for the score, featuring Sidney Poitier and sung by Bobby McFerrin's father) sparked a small furore: Miles Davis with Gil Evans (Columbia), Hank Jones Quartet (Capitol), Ralph Burns (Decca), Bill Potts (United Artists), and Mundell Lowe (RCA). Down Beat even devoted their Jul 23 issue to the film and the music adaptations.

F

The Eddie Costa is a gem -- for Eddie on vibes and also because it's some of the best first-period Bill Evans. The rhythm section is half that of "New Jazz Conceptions," with Motian but with Wendell Marshall instead of Teddy Kotick.

Agreed, although I would have loved to hear both Costa and Evans, who were friends, playing a piano duet (Evans would do it with Bob Brookmeyer, and Costa had done it with John Mehegan).

Evans intro to "Adelaide" is something else. Sounds like he's quoting Chopin's Heroic Polonaise to me.

F

• 2 weeks later...