Jazz drummers Hall of Fame

mikeweil

pardon the small hijack, but wasn't there a one armed drummer for a rock band in the 80's? i can't recall his name. i wonder how he did his padiddles? :P

The guy is correctly identified above ( Rick Allen )

but my guess is he would be limited to either

"para"s ..or "diddles"

i.e"

R RR R

or for those losing the other limb:

L L LL

:g:wacko::party:

Edited by SGUD missile

You guys are really Ameri-centric...(is that a word? :wacko: )

What about John Stevens, Han Bennink, and Sven-Ake Johansson?

148_cm_1991.jpgbennink.jpgjohansson.jpeg

They're just as influential and important than any on the previous lists with the possible exception of Baby Dodds, Kenny Clarke, Philly Joe & Elvin.

Check this out:

http://jazzinstituteofchicago.org/index.as...johnstevens.asp

I'll take your word for it!

I hope you'l not just take my word for it but go out and hear them for yourself. Some suggestions:

Karyobin - Spontaneous Music Ensemble (John Stevens group)

1968 with

Derek Bailey - Guitar

Dave Holland - Bass

Evan Parker - Saxophone

John Stevens - Drums

Kenny Wheeler - Trumpet, Horn

Change of Season

1984 with

Han Bennink - Drums

Steve Lacy - Sax (Soprano)

George Lewis - Trombone

Misha Mengelberg - Piano, Arranger

Arjen Gorter - Bass

Live 1976/1977

Alexander Von Schlippenbach - piano

Sven-Ake Johansson - drums

I've heard all three of those actually.

They're not my cup of tea to be honest, and I don't know how to judge whether these drummers are as influential as those pioneers you mention. . . . I'm inclined to say NO, but I'm saying "I'll take your word for it" for now.

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to this board and just wandered over from another BB.

I'm an old hard bop drummer and love all the names mentioned, but did I miss it or did someone not mention one of my favorite working drummers:

Jeff"Tain" Watts (I just saw him a couple of months ago at Blue Note,NY with Kenny Garrett, Pharoah Sanders, Bob Hurst and Carlos McKinnon, Great show)

Billy Cobham (I just saw him a few weeks ago and he's grown even more as a musician. Quite a statement,since he was always awesome)

Terri Lynne Carrington is a favorite of mine, I just saw her on Tuesday night at the Blue Note with Herbie Hancock. I know she was already mentioned, but I gotta give props to Terri.

Grady Tate is often overlooked on these lists, but he gave the Blue Note label it's distinctive sound as a session drummer. A good all round jazz craftsman.

Michael "Babatunde" Olatunji. We just lost Baba last April, but he influenced many percussionists and gave us all memorable moments.

Steve Gadd is a good clean drummer that got all of the sloppy new drummers back

into the rehearsal rooms practicing their rudiments.

Here's one you might not know off the top, but he was my teacher back in the early 60's and that's a big band drummer named:

Al Miller (Albert Milnerstadt)

he taught several generations of drummers in the NY tri-state area how to be musicians and craftsmen on the drum kit.A number of his instructional books are still being used by drum teachers. We lost Al a few years ago, but he used to play with Cab Calloway and Xavier Cugat and in the 80's he performed a concert called "The 3 Drummers" where he played with his big band, Buddy Rich played with his band and Louis Bellson played with his band.

There was technique in that show that would bring tears to any drummer's eyes.

Edited by Rimshot

furthermore, I think we should restrict it to drummers who keep some semblance of a top on,

do not perform on spinning or levitating drum risers, nor use smoke pots or other pyro ..

It's good that you stepped in when you did because I think we were about 2 posts away before some damned fool would have tried to include Neil Peart or Peter Criss on your list :P

SS