Mike Westbrook - finally the big band is back...

manfred

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few West Country gigs in the summer but mostly too early for me.

However, this one looks possible:

AUG Sun 03

7.30pm

Mike Westbrook Big Band
A Bigger Show

The Drewe Arms
Drewsteignton
Devon
EX6 6QN

01647 281409

I'm actually in Sidmouth for the folk festival but the main items that night are not must hears. Might take off for north Dartmoor for that.

Been listening to Marching Song this evening. Fabulous.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

... A Bigger Show ...

Yes, I'm curious what that programme will be.

As I've seen the Big Band a few times over the past years, my priority is the Trio right now.

Also I'm booked for the Barry Guy New Orchestra on the 21st at Café OTO as I'm passing through London on the way to Exeter.

Also I'm booked for the Barry Guy New Orchestra on the 21st at Café OTO as I'm passing through London on the way to Exeter.

I am extremely jealous. If it had been a week later I'd have probably done the three nights. I always manage to miss Barry Guy (though I don't think he deliberately avoids me like Louis Stewart does).

... though I don't think he deliberately avoids me ...

:D

If the living were less expensive and maybe the air a bit cleaner, Café OTO and the Vortex would be reason enough to move to London.

... though I don't think he deliberately avoids me ...

:D

If the living were less expensive and maybe the air a bit cleaner, Café OTO and the Vortex would be reason enough to move to London.

Only feasible these days if you are an oligarch ! ;) Still, at least they get to breath the cruddy air.

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 year later...

Westbrook Blake wonderful tonight in Bath. The version that was recorded and videoed a couple of years back. I had doubts before I heard it - given how important the reeds were on the late-70s disc I couldn't imagine how an accordion and violin could substitute. The recording won me over instantly and tonight confirmed its success. All three soloists - Billy Thompson, Karen Street and Steve Berry were superb. Phil Minton was incredibly powerful in his pieces and Kate Westbrook very effective in hers - this piece doesn't encourage her to overdo it. Mike played that very distinctive minimalist piano to perfection. And special praise to the choir who were a joy.

Excellent sound too - rarely the case in a church. My second favourite Westbrook piece - glad to have finally heard it live.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Westbrook Blake wonderful tonight in Bath. The version that was recorded and videoed a couple of years back. I had doubts before I heard it - given how important the reeds were on the late-70s disc I couldn't imagine how an accordion and violin could substitute. The recording won me over instantly and tonight confirmed its success. All three soloists - Billy Thompson, Karen Street and Steve Berry were superb. Phil Minton was incredibly powerful in his pieces and Kate Westbrook very effective in hers - this piece doesn't encourage her to overdo it. Mike played that very distinctive minimalist piano to perfection. And special praise to the choir who were a joy.

Excellent sound too - rarely the case in a church. My second favourite Westbrook piece - glad to have finally heard it live.

Thanks for that review Bev, I am sorely jealous and just wish Mike would play about 100 miles further East!

Edited by RogerF

Thanks for that review Bev, I am sorely jealous and just wish Mike would play about 100 miles further East!

...and a further 200 miles North......

Bev, I agree... a great night. They seem to be lucky with the churches for the Blake. The concert last year at St. Giles in London had similar acoustics.

For anyone thinking of seeing 'A Bigger Show' there is a list of the gigs taking place here: http://www.westbrookjazz.co.uk/mikewestbrook/diary.shtml

A recording will be made of the piece at The Barnfield Theatre in July and we are inviting people to become Patrons of The Orchestra. This is something we did before with the recording of The Cortege as you will no doubt remember Bev :) . Details: http://www.westbrookjazz.co.uk/mikewestbrook/bigband/index.shtml

By the way, if any of you who would like to hear Mike play elsewhere in the country have any influence with the people who run your local venues, please do use that influence.

Edited by Chris_T

Ooooh!

I clearly didn't check those dates with enough care. I'm in Sidmouth on July 31st - slight holiday readjustment and I can be there a day earlier for the Exeter show.

And I'll certainly sign up for an advance copy. I often use my Patron of the Mike Westbrook Orchestra status from The Cortège on job applications or other circumstances where indications of superior standing are required for preferment.

Thanks, Chris

By the way, if any of you who would like to hear Mike play elsewhere in the country have any influence with the people who run your local venues, please do use that influence.

What local venues?.......The one in Darlington closed several years ago due to government cuts and the building itself was sold recently so there's absolutely no chance that it will ever open again.

My "local" venue is now The Sage in Gateshead.... a hundred mile round trip. I'm surprised Mike hasn't been offered a gig there, by the way.

Bev, I agree... a great night. They seem to be lucky with the churches for the Blake. The concert last year at St. Giles in London had similar acoustics.

For anyone thinking of seeing 'A Bigger Show' there is a list of the gigs taking place here: http://www.westbrookjazz.co.uk/mikewestbrook/diary.shtml

A recording will be made of the piece at The Barnfield Theatre in July and we are inviting people to become Patrons of The Orchestra. This is something we did before with the recording of The Cortege as you will no doubt remember Bev :) . Details: http://www.westbrookjazz.co.uk/mikewestbrook/bigband/index.shtml

Chris - I can't believe that our premier jazz composer and bandleader has to ask for gigs in the capital city. This is a ridiculous state of affairs and I know that there would be several hundred London-based fans who would willingly walk over hot coals to see the MWBB play at say the London Jazz Festival. Does Serious not have an interest? Seriously?