Mike Westbrook - finally the big band is back...

manfred

Roger - There isn't much I can say on a public forum about this but suffice to say that gigs outside the area that the band are performing in at the moment are not forthcoming. I know Mike would like to perform with the band and other combinations in all parts of the UK. Efforts have been made but have led nowhere so far. Even in my limited experience of contacting venues local to me I find I am met with polite interest that leads nowhere.

I agree that it's a ridiculous state of affairs and I don't know what the answer is. I hope that this series of gigs with the band over the summer might make people sit up and take notice.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree. - While I'm a lay-person in the field of acquisition, I tried with our local (SW-German) venues. Many websites run along the lines of "musicians/bands can apply ..." and "we're fully booked for the next year...". So the venues' managers just can't be bothered to search out good/interesting music and set up a programme. Instead, there are plenty of applicants, often students, and musicians are expected to play practically for free.

Some years ago I sent letters to a few, but never so much as received an answer.

So I have to travel; just finished packing an our ago for my trip to Exeter for this Friday's concert.

I'm sure I've asked this before but can't remember a response.

Anyone know why these two have never made it to reissue?:

R-5728348-1401059391-1786.jpeg.jpgR-2767222-1419162211-4003.jpeg.jpg

Also, I've just been listening to:

piano.jpg

A favourite since it first came out in the late-70s.

I wonder why Mike has never recorded another solo album. I suspect he doesn't think of himself as a soloist and there's nothing flash here. But his playing remains very distinctive with interesting chord choices. I recall hearing him do a very short set at a side gig at the Jazz Britannia event. Equally as absorbing.

Tyger has never been released on CD and I guess the thinking is that there wouldn't be enough interest in it. 'For the Record' was reissued on CD quite a few years ago along with 'Love, Dream & Variations' on the same label. The manufacturers mixed up the sleeve information between the two albums at the time. Both are now deleted sadly. I think you are right about Mike's views about his own playing. There are some private recordings of Mike's piano playing and they are very good indeed. We are about to launch a new download on WestbrookJazz and I hope that we are able to persuade Mike to make some of his solos piano recordings available in the future. The new download will be 'After Smith's Hotel' by the way. It has never been released commercially. I hope to persuade Mike to make The Westbrook Blake - Bright as Fire the next one as this has been out of the catalogue for far too long.

Thanks Chris.

I must have missed that reissue of 'For the Record' and 'Love, Dream & Variations'. The latter was the first Westbrook LP I bought back in '76 - almost my first jazz record apart from a few Jarretts and the SOS album. Would like to see that on CD/download too - my LP is very ropey....lots of inner groove distortion (a result of playing on student record players!).

Pleased to see the download side of WestbrookJazz. I remember 'After Smith's Hotel' being performed (in the 80s?). Am I imagining things or did it get a radio broadcast?

Hope those solo recordings get out there. Comparing musicians is not very fair, but Solo reminds me of Ran Blake in some respects - unhurried, enjoying the chords rather than chasing after speed or pyrotechnics.

That 'Tyger' was a bit of a pig to find on vinyl but it is pretty nice.

Agree that the Westbrook solo recital at The Barbican (Conservatory) back in 2005 was a gem. I think he did a number or two from 'On Duke's Birthday'. Always enjoy it when he does the occasional solo piano feature as part of the regular gigs.

Edited by sidewinder

Bev, After Smith's Hotel did get a broadcast but i don't think it has been heard since.

I must look into Ran Blake. Before the concert in Bath Mike was trying out the piano and was playing Prelude to a Kiss. It was lovely of course and he was really enjoying the chords (and so were we). I hope we can persuade him to issue some piano recordings. He may have other ideas of course.

I was trying to work out the times I've seen Mike. Vaguely:

80s:

• Orchestra - The Cortege tour at Nottingham Playhouse (where I ordered the as yet unreleased album)
  • Trio - somewhere on Mansfield Road in Nottingham
  • The Ass - in the Nottingham Lace Market as part of a DH Lawrence Festival
  • Abbey Road - I think that was Nottingham Playhouse

90s

• Orchestra - at Sheffield Crucible. That was a real stormer.

00s/10s

• Solo at Jazz Britannia
  • Orchestra up on Dartmoor doing various things one very hot linchtime.
  • Rossini at St. Ives
  • Glad Day at Bath the other night.

I'm sure I must have seen the Trio on another occasion but memory is failing me there.

Thanks for the info, Chris.

'Coming Through Slaughter' was another piece from that time that doesn't seem to have been recorded. An opera IIRC.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• 3 weeks later...

Please would you do it through the website Bev, there are not currently plans to pay for copies in advance at concerts. At the moment we aren't asking for money anyway. That will be asked for when we get closer to the date of release. All we are asking for at the moment are pledges. We are trying to keep it simple so that Kate and Mike don't have to think of anything else but music making at the concerts. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Excellent concert in Exeter last night. As far as I can tell a new 2 hour piece 'A Bigger Show' (not sure if it was up scaled from smaller units). Westbrook as I like him best - 21 piece band, lots of soloing, great orchestration, interesting lyrics (well sung by the three vocalists). Nice to see the return of textures like the two electric guitars. Lots of highlights - Alan Wakeman in excelsis, a tremendous alto/pocket trumpet double improv from Roz Harding and Dave Houldsworth (also leading the sousaphone revival).

Hope the recording went well - due out in Oct according to the flyer.

Still a couple more dates in the West Country - highly recommended to those in range.

• 1 month later...

A missing link available on the Westbrook site to download:

R-7341212-1439312009-7636.jpeg.jpg

http://www.westbrookjazz.co.uk/westbrookrecords/downloads.shtml

http://www.westbrookjazz.co.uk/sai/index.shtml

• Introduction to Part One    15:15
  • Smith's Hotel to Cerne Giant.. East Stratford Too Doo    37:09
  • Introduction to Part Two    12:49
  • On Duke's Birthday..South From Toulouse..The Go No More A Roving Problem    44:39
  • Breaking Up at Smith's Academy    10:20

Mike Westbrook Orchestra Mike Westbrook piano/musical director Phil Minton, Guy Barker, Dave Plews, Dick Pearce trumpets Malcolm Griffiths trombone Dave Powell tuba Kate Westbrook tenor horn, piccolo, bamboo flute Chris Biscoe, Phil Todd, Dave Bishop, Lindsay Cooper saxophones Georgie Born cello Brian Godding guitar Steve Cook bass guitar Dave Barry drums Fiachra Trench piano/ musical co-director Recorded Live at The Maltings Concert Hall, Snape, October 2nd 1983 Prepared for download by Chris Topley

As I understand it some of this music leaked out in other records - but this was the original 1983 piece.

I'm sure Chris can tell us more. 

Listened to 'After Smith's Hotel' this afternoon - admirers of Westbrook can safely purchase.

Although a live recording presumably never intended for release it sounds excellent. Very good job done bringing it to release.  

Good to hear the music (and excellent soloing) much of which we know from elsewhere. The 2 LP/CD 'On Duke's Birthday' had some of these pieces - the difference there was the dominant voice of the violin. Here it's the standard orchestra sound. 

If you liked that era of Westbrook - The Cortege, On Duke's Birthday, London Bridge - then I think you'll want to hear this. 

Thanks for the heads up, Bev.

Did you download the FLAC version? I wonder whether the download comes as one big file (.zip perhaps) and what the file size is.

Just the mp3 - my ears don't distinguish. Came as a standard folder that took a couple of minutes to download; then just needed extracting (took a few seconds).

Another good thing about this recording is that it retains Mike's long spoken introductions to both parts, describing the origins of the piece and explaining how the music was built from one chord in particular and a sequence of melodic ideas (rather 'Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra' with illustrations from the musicians). The sort of thing that would almost certainly have been omitted from a commercial release.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• 2 months later...

Anyone else got their copy of 'A Bigger Show' 2CD set yet? Fine stuff - and very nicely captured in live sound by Jon Hiseman and Miles Ashton. In fact I would go as far as to say that this is my favourite Westbrook recording of recent years. One of my albums of the year, for sure !

I hope to capture their performance coming up in Taunton early next year (postponed from this year) and with a bit of luck I'll catch the Barnfield Xmas show.

Edited by sidewinder

3 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Anyone else got their copy of 'A Bigger Show' 2CD set yet? Fine stuff - and very nicely captured in live sound by Jon Hiseman and Miles Ashton. In fact I would go as far as to say that this is my favourite Westbrook recording of recent years. One of my albums of the year, for sure !

I hope to capture their performance in Taunton early next year (postponed) and with a bit of look I'll catch the Barnfield Xmas show.

Mine was in the mail when I got home this morning. Will listen over the weekend.

I suspect much of the success is due to exceptionally fine applause in the centre, five or six rows back. 

23 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I hope to capture their performance coming up in Taunton early next year (postponed from this year) and with a bit of luck I'll catch the Barnfield Xmas show.

Found mine in the post as I came home tonight. Expect to make it a fine Sunday's listening.

23 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

... I suspect much of the success is due to exceptionally fine applause in the centre, five or six rows back. 

... and to some nice photographs of the show  :P

Edited by jazzscriveyn

It's an addictive album. I can't stop playing it.

I hope to have all the payment requests out to all patrons by the end of tomorrow.  So if you are a patron and you haven't heard from me yet, it should be very soon.  The album isn't officially released until February but it will be on sale at The Barnfield Theatre on 17th December.  It should be possible to buy copies of the album from WestbrookJazz during December.

If you can get to The Barnfield, make the effort. The concert at the end of July was a joy. 

I read somewhere that the Orchestra might venture beyond the West Country next year. 

Very odd, that in a world where you can get all sorts of gongs and places in the House of Lords for funding the Tory party to ensure the 1% keep everything and get more, that someone of Mike Westbrook's achievement goes virtually unrecognised beyond those who have stumbled on his world...not that I'd imagine he'd want any of the official ones! 

49 minutes ago, A Lark Ascending said:

If you can get to The Barnfield, make the effort. The concert at the end of July was a joy. 

I read somewhere that the Orchestra might venture beyond the West Country next year. 

Very odd, that in a world where you can get all sorts of gongs and places in the House of Lords for funding the Tory party to ensure the 1% keep everything and get more, that someone of Mike Westbrook's achievement goes virtually unrecognised beyond those who have stumbled on his world...not that I'd imagine he'd want any of the official ones! 

There is a possibility of gigs outside the West Country next year but I don't think anything is finalised yet.  There is talk of another Bristol gig but in a larger venue than last time. Ian Storror in Bristol is a great supporter of Mike's music.

Can't argue with your '1% keep everything' opinion.  Mike was awarded an OBE some years back but I agree that it seems to be difficult to get his music heard by people other than those who already know of his reputation.  I'd like to think that A Bigger Show could make a difference.  It certainly has the potential and may well have a wider appeal than some of his recent works.  He's 80 next year. Surely it's time for something in the way of recognition!

Edited by Chris_T

The 2CD set is certainly addictive, that's for sure.

One thing that comes across strongly is just how good the performances of both Kate and Mike are on this one, even by their own usual high standards. 

Thanks for the fast turnaround with the mailouts Chris !

Edited by sidewinder

On 11/22/2015, 12:54:34, sidewinder said:

The 2CD set is certainly addictive, that's for sure.

One thing that comes across strongly is just how good the performances of both Kate and Mike are on this one, even by their own usual high standards. 

Just finished a first run through. Loved it. Such strong soloing throughout.

Is this the first jazz record to mention David Beckham? Or Facebook?