Mike Westbrook - finally the big band is back...

manfred

Yes, acoustic-wise it was a bit of a boomy cavern, I thought they did very well under the circumstances. 

Great to see such a good turn-out - 30C, the Westbrook concert and that cricket miracle against the Aussies, doesn’t get any better :cool:.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Chris_T said:

Two independent videos were made of the performance and I am told that the cluster of microphones just in front of the band were well placed to reduce the overwhelming reverb of the hall on one of the videos being recorded. The balance of PA sound was very different in parts of the hall. It must have been a nightmare to get it even this good. Despite all that it was an absolute triumph with the band playing superbly. Particular mention should be made (and has been made) about Matthew Bourne's playing. He was marvellous throughout and particularly so in DTTM. There is talk of a repeat performance next year. Meanwhile, talking of Westbrook Rossini I should mention that the original small band version is currently on offer on WestbrookJazz, reduced from £14 inc International postage and £12 inc UK postage to £9 & £7 respectively. Only until the end of August though so you'll have to move fast. http://tinyurl.com/36jgwup

I was spinning my Hat-Art Rossini LPs a bit earlier (excellent) in the belief that the CD you mention was the same thing. The LPs are the ‘live’ version whereas this offer looks to be for a studio recording. Looks like I need to stick an order in. :)

This is indeed the single CD studio album (also excellent - and different) recorded around the same time as the live one. It's on offer until Saturday. I should warn you that if you order on Friday or Saturday there may well be a delay in receiving the order as the orders are posted by Mike or Kate and they are going to be away this weekend. :)

1 minute ago, sidewinder said:

Thanks Chris - ordered, along with a copy of the ‘Last Night at Scotts’ which I’ve wanted for a while. Absolutely no rush, it arrives when it arrives.. :)

Ahh so that's who you are ;)

I've only just added Last Night at the Old Place for sale today as Mike has some copies now. I'll let you know when they are posted. 

Thanks for your order :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks mjazzg for the link! I'llprint it and put it inside my copy of the album. - I've been listening to the CD fo a few weeks now and am thoroughly enjoying it.
This and the studio album stand side by side, each in it's own right.

Good liner notes go with the new release too.

There are some interesting & knowledgeable comments too on the original bluemoments page (without the twitter suffix in the link)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You may have missed that during this period of there being no live performances, Kate and Mike Westbrook have delved into their film archive and we are showing a new film from 11.30am UK time every Friday on the WestbrookJazz website at  https://bit.ly/3e4bD3w - all previous items will stay on the site indefinitely. This week on 22nd May there is some Big Band Westbrook from Big Band RTV Slovenia with Mike on piano. Please pass the word around. :)

2 hours ago, Chris_T said:

You may have missed that during this period of there being no live performances, Kate and Mike Westbrook have delved into their film archive and we are showing a new film from 11.30am UK time every Friday on the WestbrookJazz website at  https://bit.ly/3e4bD3w - all previous items will stay on the site indefinitely. This week on 22nd May there is some Big Band Westbrook from Big Band RTV Slovenia with Mike on piano. Please pass the word around. :)

Thank you. Will certainly catch up after the event