Mike Westbrook - finally the big band is back...

manfred

Agree that the Blake is amazing, Manfred. My only reason for the warning is that I know many jazz listeners don't care for vocals and Westbrook's approach to vocals owes more to radical cabaret than standard jazz singing.

Of course you are right with your warning Bev:

The concert with the blake material, that brought me to Mike Westbrook, was a complete desaster for the band, they were completely whisteled and booed by the audience, ecspecially for the vocals, and at first I thought that I am wrong, to be so deep impressed and moved by this music….

So, with the vocals in the westbrook-music it is really is a bit special,

I have to apologize, but I really have to say I do not like the singing of kate westbrook, I am sorry,

But I love all the vocal-art of phil minton and norma winstone and would be happy to hear her again with the westbrook orchestra, but she does nice work with colin towns, and also a new program with Michael Gibbs and the NDR Big Band, called “Here`s a song for you”, performed in hamburg in december 2011..

As the Goose Sauce is mentioned, I have to recommend the “Solid Gold Cadillac” and “Brain Damage”,both are reissued in 1999 as a double-cd on bgo records cd471, both with fabulous-marvelous Phil Minton, and brain damage with material of the “Welfare State Theatre”, of whom I just bought a fantastic record filed under Lol Coxhill, also a strong recommendation for this one….

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

The Westbrook Big Band is back in action at the Exeter Vibraphonic Festival (Phoenix) this Thursday night.

If I can get my act together, I hope to make it. :)

happy you, did you make it?

Very sadly, no. I was in London the day before and too exhausted to make the trip in to Exeter. Hopefully next time though.

They are doing Westbrook/Blake 'Glad Day' in Newton Abbott (smaller group with Phil Minton) soon so maybe I can make that one. :)

Incidentally, I noticed in London that the DVD of 'Mama Chicago' from 1980 is now out. I'm sure I caught that when it was originally broadcast on TV.

Edited by sidewinder

• 4 months later...

Mike and the Big Band are back doing some more gigs in the West Country. Next one :- tomorrow afternoon at the Drewe Arms, Drewsteignton - a 'rural' gig, should be good. :)

Opportunity for Bev if he is in the area?

I'll be at the Dartington Hall gig (8th Sept). - Anyone else?

Not sure about the Dartington - possibly - if I get my act together I hope to be over at the Drewe Arms tomorrow. Will report back. :)

Not sure about the Dartington - possibly - if I get my act together I hope to be over at the Drewe Arms tomorrow. Will report back. :)

Not staying for the night, are you? I saw the Village Band 2007 in Drewsteignton and stayed at the Old Inn right across from the Drewe Arms: Big fireplace, good breakfast and rooms. - Either way, enjoy the Big Band!

Not staying for the night, are you? I saw the Village Band 2007 in Drewsteignton and stayed at the Old Inn right across from the Drewe Arms: Big fireplace, good breakfast and rooms. - Either way, enjoy the Big Band!

Wish I could. Sadly I have to be back in work on Monday. What a great little place Drewsteignton is !

They are playing St. Ives this Tuesday. Typically, I was in St. Ives last Tuesday! Thought about staying on but it would have meant a mad dash on the Wednesday to be ready to receive and process A Level results.

Hope those of you who get to see the orchestra have an excellent time.

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly, I didn't make it over to Drewsteignton yesterday as a result of being grounded with a sinus problem. Maybe I'll make an exped though to the Totnes gig in early September.

Hi Bob, didn't see you in Totnes :huh::D . It was a really splendid gig, well played by everybody - with all the the summer's previous performances under their belt.

Sadly, I didn't make it over to Drewsteignton yesterday as a result of being grounded with a sinus problem. Maybe I'll make an exped though to the Totnes gig in early September.

Hi Bob, didn't see you in Totnes :huh::D . It was a really splendid gig, well played by everybody - with all the the summer's previous performances under their belt.

Hi there Frank ! Glad it went well, circumstances totally conspired against me. It would have required an impossibly long & fast drive after work in poor weather to make the 7.30 start and I heard that night that the Totnes by-pass had been closed off due to an accident so maybe it's just as well I didn't actually set off. Will definitely plan on seeing another Westbrook show this year though.

Did they reprise the numbers from 'Citadel/Room 315'? That was a highlight of the gig that I saw.

Edited by sidewinder

Hi there Frank ! Glad it went well, circumstances totally conspired against me. It would have required an impossibly long & fast drive after work in poor weather to make the 7.30 start and I heard that night that the Totnes by-pass had been closed off due to an accident so maybe it's just as well I didn't actually set off. Will definitely plan on seeing another Westbrook show this year though.

Did they reprise the numbers from 'Citadel/Room 315'? That was a highlight of the gig that I saw.

There were one, maybe two, numbers from Citadel - can't say excatly, will need to check my notes later (am still touring the Lake District).

• 2 weeks later...

I think they played 3 numbers from that album at the Teignmouth gig I saw. Enjoy the Lakes ! (and hope that the rain eases up :rolleyes: )

This time just the one from Citadel/Room 315: Bebop de Rigeur

The full programme was

Jones

Checking In

Stormy Weather

East St. Louis Toodle-oo

Creole Love Call

Tulip or Turnip

Something to Live For

Graffitti

Blighters

Viennese Waltz

Johnny Come Lately

Brazilian Love Songs

Bebop de Rigeur

Alabama Song

Flying Home

Two hours of great fun.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting this !

I see that the big band are back in action at Newton Abbott this weekend. Hope to be able to catch it - the weekend timing will help. Venue is 'Hannah's at Seale Hayne' - totally new venue for me. Hope they get the Xmas mince pies and mulled wine out again. :D

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 months later...

If I lived a bit further south-west...

http://www.westbrookjazz.co.uk/mikewestbrook/diary.shtml

TWO FOR THE DUKE

a weekend of Duke Ellington inspired music

in the Devon countryside

OOo - missed that. Now that the weather is a bit better, the trek down there to Newton Abbott is a bit more viable ! Need to make up for the last one I missed. Petrol prices permitting. <_<

Edited by sidewinder