Where do you place your Leslie in a band setting?

MartyG

Just curious where you all keep the speaker in a band setting. By band, I mean with vocalists, guitars, bass and horns.

I currently have the Leslie behind me off to one side. Either the band or audience can't hear me, or I am so loud to myself that my ears ring after a gig. ( I now wear ear plugs on loud gigs)

I'm thinking of moving it up, even with my right side, more towards the center of the band.

Last week I was provided with a Hammond C3 with a Leslie 770 against the back wall of the stage. It seemed very different, too far away for me.

Where do you position the Leslie. (I will be using a 3300)

-marty

I either have it directly behind me if it's high enough or off to one side, no more than a foot or two away. If the band can't hear it; well, that's what they make monitor speakers for. :) Either that or the rest of the band needs to turn down. I always wear earplugs on every gig I do. Even "soft" gigs can cause hearing damage due to the length of exposure time.

I either have it directly behind me if it's high enough or off to one side, no more than a foot or two away. If the band can't hear it; well, that's what they make monitor speakers for. :) Either that or the rest of the band needs to turn down. I always wear earplugs on every gig I do. Even "soft" gigs can cause hearing damage due to the length of exposure time.

just curious, what brand/model earplugs do you use?

I like very much the Elacin Clear sound : they are conforable, very linear and with several attenuation factors available. I usually wear them when making live recordings, where a good protection is necessary but also communication with the musicians or the crew. But check it personally, they might be less suitable for very high sound pressure levels.

I had some custom molded ones, until I left them on the rental organ at the 2006 Detroit Jazz Festival and never saw them again. Bye bye $150. D'oh!

Since then, I've been using these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EarPlugPro/

They sound very close to the custom molded ones (ie, attenuating all frequencies evenly) but are cheap. Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, on its maiden outing yesterday, there was no choice where to put her. It had to me on my right side, just slightly back ob my head. It seemed to work well, up against a wall that added some bass reinforcement.

I think a lot of the time it depends just how much stage room you have and you don't often have the luxury to chose.

I am on my way to another gig now and have the exact same possibility, except to my left. It seems to work.

-mg

• 5 weeks later...

Well, it seems like the question didn't account for where the band would"allow" me to put the Leslie. LOL

The last two gigs it has been in front of me on the right and behind me on the left.

When behind me, the audience and band members claimed that my volume was too low, even when I thought it was more than enough.

-m